How to stay 161M away from a hidden re-direct?

retiredairman

Many times I have submitted a cache listing only to be told that I am too close to another nearby cache. What I usually do is go to a cache already published in the area I am intereted in putting a hide. I then go to "View Larger Map". When I notice on the map that there are no nearby caches listed then I go to the cache I looked at and walk 165M away. I submit my listing only to be told I am too close to another cache. Only happens occasionally but it is annoying when it does and I'd like to know what I am doing wrong or if there is a better way. I have 70 hides so I'm not a newbie to this. The reviewers must use a map that shows all hidden waypoints along with regular hides and that is how they can tell so quickly that you are too close to another cache (generally it will be a hidden waypoint).

Can someone give me some pointers on how to overcome this problem in the future. Thanks.

The reviewers must use a map that shows all hidden waypoints along with regular hides and that is how they can tell so quickly that you are too close to another cache (generally it will be a hidden waypoint).

I don't think they have a map, but they have a list view that shows caches and waypoints with their distance from a prospective cache (as I understand it). As long as each cache owner has added additional, hidden waypoints for intermediate stages or finals, the reviewers will be able to tell where all of these are. There are some older caches, though, that don't have these waypoints. They weren't required in the early days, and some still don't have them, so the reviewers won't know that there's something there in those cases.

Can someone give me some pointers on how to overcome this problem in the future.

The best way is to ask a reviewer if a potential spot is available. Before you put too much time into a hide, create a listing, put in your proposed coordinates, and enable it with a note to reviewer saying something along the lines of "Coordinate check only. Do not publish". Once you know a spot is available, you can flesh out the listing, place your container, etc.

165 meters is barely over 161, which is the minimum. You only know the exact registered coordinates in the case of a traditional. If it's a puzzle or multi, the coords you took could be 10-20 meters off what the cache owner has registered. I would go at least 181 meters away, to be safer.

If you're calculating distance from a traditional, I would use fizzycalc to double-check the distance between caches.

If you're still having trouble, maybe you need to cache an area better before you try hiding there?