Windows 7 w/Firefox will not recognize device

Upgraded to Win 7 and lost ability for device (Garmin GPSmap 60Cx) to be recognized by either Firefox or Internet Explorer. Had Garmin on line for over an hour, let them control my PC, and no luck in finding/fixing the trouble. Fortunately have a laptop running XP which works just fine. But the laptop is getting old and I'd really rather use my PC.

Any ideas? Have deleted all Garmin software and reloaded with no change.

Everything was fine until the Win7 upgrade?

There is the problem (apparently).... but I wouldn't have a clue how to fix it, either.

Perhaps there is a firmware update that you need in the GPSmap 60Cx itself. Did the Garmin folks mention that?

We upgraded to Win7 and immediately checked to see if our Delorme needed newer firmware -- it did.

Upgraded to Win 7 and lost ability for device (Garmin GPSmap 60Cx) to be recognized by either Firefox or Internet Explorer. Had Garmin on line for over an hour, let them control my PC, and no luck in finding/fixing the trouble. Fortunately have a laptop running XP which works just fine. But the laptop is getting old and I'd really rather use my PC.

Any ideas? Have deleted all Garmin software and reloaded with no change.

It takes a different USB driver for Win 7 than for XP. Did you go to Garmin's site and download and install the latest USB drivers? Surely the Garmin rep tried that....

Is your unit in USB mass storage configuration? Main Menu/System/Enter/Interface... does it say Connected at the top of the page, or Not Connected?

When plugged in to your PC (and turned on)it should say Connected....then (Garmin,or NMEAIn/NMEA out,or text,or None)(use Garmin) then 4800...then toggle down to the bottom of the page to USB Mass Storage..Enter.

At that point it should show up a a separate drive in (Windows) Explorer. (NOT IE)Up until that time, it will not show up as a separate drive in Win Explorer. Web updater will find it, and can do it's thing, but you can't see contents etc.

Do you have Garmin "Web Updater" installed? If so, hook up your unit by USB, start WebUpdater, let it try to find the device. It will generally do it on it's own but you may have to click on Find Device.

It will check for available updates (both for itself, USB Drivers,and the unit)

My 76CSx works just fine with Win 7 (32 bit)

Edited by Grasscatcher

Yes to both replies. Device has most current firmware, PC and device have the most current software. A weird event. Will upgrade to Win 8 on the PC in a couple of weeks and will see if PC can communicate with device then. There are gremlins in the world. Thanks for quick reply.

I have two different friends that say that upgrading to WIN 8 was the biggest mistake they ever made......mainly due to incompatibility and other weird operational quirks.

Well, I don't know about GPSmap 60Cx as I have an Oregon 550, but...

Occasionally my Asus laptop (Windows 7 64bit) will not recognize the gps. When all else fails I remove the micro sd card from the O550, boot the gps, then turn it off. I then plug it into the laptop and then it will (usually) find the O550 and then I can re-install the micro sd. I should mention my laptop will occasionally fail to recognize my Nuvi 1350 so I just keep trying. BTW I have seen the OS message "loading device driver" even though I have been using this laptop/gps configuration since Jan/12.

Another thought, when I have a persistent recognition problem I change usb ports as my laptop has 4.

Interestingly, Windows 7 assigns different drive letters to the different micro sd cards in the O550 and N1350 even though I have not (yet) plugged them at the same time.

Good Luck!