Geocaching terms found in the dictionary ?

GeoLobo

I am looking for geocaching terms that are not only used in geocaching, but also in general everyday terminology

Examples: Muggle, Swag, Nano, Bushwack, ROT13, FlashMob, Hitchhiker, and Virtual

Can you think of others? Acronymns are OK, but as long as they are used in and out of geocaching.

I am looking for geocaching terms that are not only used in geocaching, but also in general everyday terminology

Examples: Muggle, Swag, Nano, Bushwack, ROT13, FlashMob, Hitchhiker, and Virtual

Can you think of others?

Uh, Cache?

While this might be a fun exercise to identify terms that we use as geocachers that also appear in a general dictionary, it shouldn't lead to using the dictionary definitions of those terms as evidence for that those terms mean in the game of geocaching.

I've frequently seen posters resort to using definitions in a dictionary as a means of supporting their argument, but like any other definition of a term, context matters. The most common example is the use of the term "cache". Although it can be defined in a dictionary, every geocacher might have their own personal opinion of what constitutes a "cache", the only definition that really matters is the one used by Groundspeak. While, some might say that a virtual cache isn't a geocache because it doesn't have a container, the fact that Groundspeak still includes virtuals as a valid cache type, trumps personal or dictionary definitions.

Can you think of others? Acronymns are OK, but as long as they are used in and out of geocaching.

Meh.....

ALL of those terms existed long before geocaching, methinks. FlashMob, maybe not. Not so sure about Bushwack either, I think it has always been Bushwhack.

The word cache itself, pre-dates written history -- not the word really, but the concept.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

ALL of those terms existed long before geocaching, methinks. FlashMob, maybe not. Not so sure about Bushwack either, I think it has always been Bushwhack.

The word cache itself, pre-dates written history -- not the word really, but the concept.

Flashmob history:

The concept of improvising a public assembly which first denoted as a "smart mob" in author Howard Rheingold's book Smart Mobs: The Next Social Revolution, published in 2002. The term "flash mob" was coined a year later by Harper's Magazine senior editor Bill Wasik, who organized the first flash mob event at Macy's department store in New York City on June 3rd, 2003, following a failed attempt earlier in May.

The first known use of the word, "bushwhack" was in 1866. Not new!

How about, "puritan"? B)

On a more serious note, it was recently pointed out in another thread here that the word "throwdown" is also used to refer to an untracable weapon carried by certain police officers to justify a shooting. We use it here to refer to a cache container left by a cache seeker that wants to avoid a DNF.

Can you think of others?

Uh, Cache?

While this might be a fun exercise to identify terms that we use as geocachers that also appear in a general dictionary, it shouldn't lead to using the dictionary definitions of those terms as evidence for that those terms mean in the game of geocaching.

I've frequently seen posters resort to using definitions in a dictionary as a means of supporting their argument, but like any other definition of a term, context matters. The most common example is the use of the term "cache". Although it can be defined in a dictionary, every geocacher might have their own personal opinion of what constitutes a "cache", the only definition that really matters is the one used by Groundspeak. While, some might say that a virtual cache isn't a geocache because it doesn't have a container, the fact that Groundspeak still includes virtuals as a valid cache type, trumps personal or dictionary definitions.

YES, Cache is one!

Thanks everyone else for replying. Remember, I am looking for geocaching terms that are not only used in geocaching, but also in general everyday terminology.

Edited by GeoLobo

>Unusual Pile of Sticks?

we call that GEO-Sticks arround here.

also GEO-trail is a known word, for the walk path from a normal main path

directly to a tree and the cache and that is it..

clearly what happens when alot of geocachers walk the same way.

I first saw the term geo trail used in winter caching. If a new series comes out, you simply wait a few days and you get to follow all the tracks in the snow to the cache. We have a winter event "Ice Walk" at our place every year and cachers snowshoe over to a couple of islands to get a bunch of caches. It is a lot easier to find them if it snows before the event.

PAul

Edited by Ma & Pa