60csx vs Oregon?

fuegoman

Years and years of firefighting has beaten my Vista Cx up so badly that I can not see through the scratched screen. It also is about 50 feet off anytime I get close to a cache. I would like to upgrade and was thinking about the 60csx as I would think the antenna would work better under tree canopy. Is the Oregon (or Colorado) just as functional? I am trying to stay in the 150-200 dollar range so obviously I would be looking at a USED 60csx.

Thanks for the advice. I have been out of the GPS loop for so long I am not sure what is what anymore.

If you look around you should be able to get an Oregon 450 for $200 during a sale. Forget about the venerable 60csx (loved mine). With aerial imagery, terrain shading, ANT wireless communication, and touchscreen interface, the Oregon is simply more up with the times.

Oh, and get a screen protector while your at it. The ZAGG protector already cut to dimensions is the best in my opinion.

Years and years of firefighting has beaten my Vista Cx up so badly that I can not see through the scratched screen.

I must also point out that some vigorous rubbing with Autosol car chrome polish and ordinary household wiping paper might be worth a try; it tends to wipe out even heavy scractches. If it's EXTREMELY scratched use some fine grade sandpaper before the Autosol. I have rescued both an unreadable Vista and a partially unreadable eTrex 20 with this method. The screens almost become like new.

Edited by tr_s

If you look around you should be able to get an Oregon 450 for $200 during a sale. Forget about the venerable 60csx (loved mine). With aerial imagery, terrain shading, ANT wireless communication, and touchscreen interface, the Oregon is simply more up with the times.

Oh, and get a screen protector while your at it. The ZAGG protector already cut to dimensions is the best in my opinion.

I was told back in the day that the 60csx was better because of the external antenna... they said it worked better in heavy cover... will the Oregon do the same??

Thanks again for the input!!

This is not necessarily true. It may be for you, but not for everyone. It all depends on their needs. My 60csx is still going strong and does 99.9% of what I need. All the rest you mentioned are just bells and whistles for me. The remaining .1% my 60csx does not do I can take care of with my droid phone or I just don't care about.

Any person shopping for any device needs to first find out what is available in the marketplace and then carefully consider what they feel they MUST have and then what they would like to have. Then select the device that best meets those needs and fits within their budget. Others' subjective and opinionated positions - including mine - can be VERY misleading for them.

I was told back in the day that the 60csx was better because of the external antenna... they said it worked better in heavy cover... will the Oregon do the same??

I would think the Oregon 450 also.

All things being equal I prefer the quad ant ( which your 60 CSx had ).....however newer units have higher sensitivity receivers, chips, etc so a newer unit without a quad may be better under cover than your 60.

Of my newer units I find those with the quad just a bit faster/more accurate than those without it. A 62S would be the real replacement for your 60.....same buttons and antenna ......they can be had for less than $300.

Instead of the expensive 60CSx, maybe look for a 60Cx or a 60CS?

I've been using a 60Cx for years with excellent results. For geocaching, the "S" electronic compass or barometer just isn't necessary. Everything else is available in the 60Cx version.

A year ago, I tried to buy a 60CSx for my aunt, but was always outbid on ebay (+$200). Finally won a 60CS for about $100, and it is as good as my Cx except is doesn't have expandable memory. I forget how much memory the 60CS has, but I was able to load a bunch of maps with no problem.

Fuzzywhip

This is not necessarily true. It may be for you, but not for everyone. It all depends on their needs. My 60csx is still going strong and does 99.9% of what I need. All the rest you mentioned are just bells and whistles for me.

Yeah, and MREs will "work" 99% of the time and keep you alive, too, but what's the fun in that? :rolleyes:

Get the Oregon...or better yet...a Montana! B)

I can't speak to the Oregon directly, but I do have a Montana with the same antenna design. It is FAR faster and maintains a good satellite lock over my 60CSx. If I haven't used either in a while, the Montana will already have a lock before finishing its startup (inside my house) and be resolving the accuracy while my 60CSx right next to it will take a while to get a lock. My Montana is more accurate and repeatable (I verify every track on Google Earth) than my 60CSx and has zero issues with foliage/canopy cover The deep in canyons here in Arizona can be especially challenging to a GPS unit, too. There were a few places (Oak Creek Canyon especially) where my 60CSx absolutely wigged out and virtually became unusable. A track on the Montana only wavers from side-to-side a tiny bit in that same situation.

Edited by sviking

Instead of the expensive 60CSx, maybe look for a 60Cx or a 60CS?

60CX is a 60CSX without the electronic compass and altimeter. A good buy if you don't want those features. The 60CS had the same form factor, but much poorer electronics; something to avoid.

Also, the 60CS didn't have micro SD card eXpandable memory. That's what the "X" designator means.

When I started geocaching the Garmin 60 series was probably the gps of choice. My first gps was a 60csx. Great unit never had a problem losing satellites and very consitant at finding gz. When the Oregons came out I did a little research and decided the paperless caching feature was for me. So my Oregon 300 became the gps of choice. So the 60csx basically became a paper weight. I did take it occasionally for backup if I knew I'm going on an all long day hunt. Recently my fiancee has decided she wanted to join me out caching. She's using the 60csx. We always manage to be within a few feet when looking for a cache. Bottom line in my opinion is as far as accuracy and ability to hold satellites I'd say these units are at par with each other. For me though the form factor, I like the touch screen and paperless caching give the Oregons the edge.