Ethics and Spoiler Question

Waffle Quiz

Hi, I'm new to geocaching and was just wondering about something. I like to go out looking with my girlfriend and when we find a cache we take a picture of us with it. I thought about posting the pics we take together but wasn't sure if that would ruin anyone else's fun if they saw hints about what they were looking for. For example clues in the background or seeing what the cache physically looked like. Is this ok?

It depends on the situation. You should never post a picture of the cache location/hiding spot.

If the cache is a simple lock and lock or pill bottle with no specialized camo (sometimes the CO will even say so in the description), it shouldn't be a big deal to show a picture of the container. Check the gallery on the cache page to see what others have posted. If the owner is concerned about a picture, they are able to delete the pic from your log.

Just remember that every picture is potentially a clue for future seekers. If you really aren't sure whether a pic will be okay, a message to the owner should get you the info you need.

717ec1a9-756c-43fa-9e6f-b5d1c32db6f7.jpg

Go ahead and take all the pictures you want. Just don't post them on the cache page without permission from the cache owner. Anything could be a hint. A picture of the cache container, even the general area could be a dead giveaway-specially for those who spend lot of time with perfect camo and the perfect hiding spot.

Hi, I'm new to geocaching and was just wondering about something. I like to go out looking with my girlfriend and when we find a cache we take a picture of us with it. I thought about posting the pics we take together but wasn't sure if that would ruin anyone else's fun if they saw hints about what they were looking for. For example clues in the background or seeing what the cache physically looked like. Is this ok?

I've seen photos of cachers at the cache site, with and without the cache. I'd say use your judgement. Most of the photos I've seen have been reasonably safe, usually when the cache isn't camouflaged, and usually offset by 10-20m. Any photos of caches that have been camouflaged usually come with a spoiler warning.

Cache hiders may get upset if your pic could give something away such as the special camo, or the exact hiding spot, or the type of container if that is part of the secret of the hide. They might object of it gave an indication of the location of a puzzle cache.

Otherwise I dont think most would object.

Some cachers take a picture of nearly every find. Here are two examples. Check out their gallery of over 10000 photos each

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=3845f1f1-928f-4a8b-b798-f61e52f61a86

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=a20d5b13-f825-4dea-a027-e22e1b0643a8

I am fairly new to geocaching and only have 5 hides. But I enjoy it when cachers post pictures in their logs on my caches. I think if you use common sense and think to yourself "If this was MY hide, would I want this picture posted" you will be OK. If you think a picture will give something away, take a different picture from a different angle, or not showing the cache itself, or "on the way to GZ", or "near GZ". Pictures are good in my opinion and tell the CO that you enjoyed and appreciated the experience of finding the cache.

I have seen some caches where the CO explicitly says in the description to not post pictures and of course that should be honored.

The general answer is "no", as you've been hearing. The times I don't have a problem with it are when the description -- not the hint -- is very clear about what the cache looks like, so the picture isn't giving away anything the CO didn't already give away.

But it's best is to just avoid the issue by taking your picture showing where you are and how much fun you're having without any reference to where the cache is or what it looks like. A few cachers in my area have become masters at taking amusing pictures that people who have found the cache recognize, but that mean nothing to anyone looking for it.

The general answer is "no", as you've been hearing. The times I don't have a problem with it are when the description -- not the hint -- is very clear about what the cache looks like, so the picture isn't giving away anything the CO didn't already give away.

But it's best is to just avoid the issue by taking your picture showing where you are and how much fun you're having without any reference to where the cache is or what it looks like. A few cachers in my area have become masters at taking amusing pictures that people who have found the cache recognize, but that mean nothing to anyone looking for it.

I have been hearing YES go ahead

I have been hearing YES go ahead

Well, OK, then. I amend my statement to, "Everyone else is wrong, and the general answer is 'no'." I thought I was agreeing with the people saying not without permission and use your judgement, but if you don't think so, then so be it. The basic point is that if you aren't sure whether it's a good idea, then it isn't. I've seen too many hides blown by newbies posting pictures of themselves holding the cache, so I don't want someone thinking it's always OK.

Generally I don't look at cache photos until after I've found a cache, helps prevent spoilers!

That is you, but many cachers look at everything to make the find as easy as possible.

If that's what they want to do then so be it. The good thing about geocaching is how accessible it (usually) is. Difficult caches usually have a couple of easy hints if they're required. I think most hiders would rather people find their cache than ultimately give up in frustration. The same is with the pictures, if someone wants to make it as easy as possible for themselves, that's their choice to look at the photos. It's optional, it's not mandatory to look at the pictures beforehand, and if someone is concerned about seeing spoilers, I imagine like me they'll just leave the photos till after.

Generally I don't look at cache photos until after I've found a cache, helps prevent spoilers!

That is you, but many cachers look at everything to make the find as easy as possible.

I look at photos in advance to see what they show. It has nothing to do with making the find easier because I don't expect anyone to spoil the hide with pictures.

Difficult caches usually have a couple of easy hints if they're required.

That hasn't been my experience. Difficult caches intentionally do not have easy hints. If they did, they wouldn't be very difficult, would they? There's one locally-well-known hider of difficult caches that always uses exactly the same hint: "Keep looking, it's there!". It's become something of a local catch-phrase. These are very well cammoed caches, and spoiler photos would completely ruin their intention. He doesn't find caches anymore, but he's still active, so any spoiler photos would be removed promptly.

Anyway, whether you agree with it or not, posting spoiler photos without the owner's permission violates the Terms of Use:

You agree not to:

(m) Publish, on any Groundspeak owned web property, the solutions, hints, spoilers, or any hidden coordinates for any geocache without consent from the cache owner.

That hasn't been my experience. Difficult caches intentionally do not have easy hints. If they did, they wouldn't be very difficult, would they? There's one locally-well-known hider of difficult caches that always uses exactly the same hint: "Keep looking, it's there!". It's become something of a local catch-phrase. These are very well cammoed caches, and spoiler photos would completely ruin their intention. He doesn't find caches anymore, but he's still active, so any spoiler photos would be removed promptly.

Anyway, whether you agree with it or not, posting spoiler photos without the owner's permission violates the Terms of Use:

You agree not to:

(m) Publish, on any Groundspeak owned web property, the solutions, hints, spoilers, or any hidden coordinates for any geocache without consent from the cache owner.

My experience around here has been as I stated, but this again goes with how accessible geocaching is, something for everyone, from dead easy caches, to pulling out your hair in frustration caches. I still say it goes with common sense and judgement. I've not encountered many difficult caches in my limited travels, but the ones at the upper end of the spectrum would need some extra care regarding photos, whereas a cache that is a plain tupperware box that is obvious and is barely "hidden" in the cache description obviously has a bit more leeway in terms of what you show in the photo, excluding the actual hiding place.

I've not encountered many difficult caches in my limited travels, but the ones at the upper end of the spectrum would need some extra care regarding photos, whereas a cache that is a plain tupperware box that is obvious and is barely "hidden" in the cache description obviously has a bit more leeway in terms of what you show in the photo, excluding the actual hiding place.

I agree with what you're saying, but I think the more important point is that there's not generally any reason to have the container itself in your picture, so there's not much reason to risk guessing where the CO sees the hide on that spectrum.

Unless it is a specially camoed cache like a fake birdhouse or sprinkler head, I see no problem with taking a photo of the cache. As a cache owner one of my favorite log photos is one of the happy finders holding my cache.

Just be sure that your photo doesn't give away too much. Move a bit away from the cache's hiding place before snapping.

I've taken photos of probably hundreds of my cache finds over the years. My gallery is full of them. Not once has a cache owner ever objected to one.

I have one that is hidden in plain sight, it's just cammoed so that you don't even think it could be the cache at first. A fairly new cacher liked it and took a spoiler photo with it. I thought about deleting it, but decided that it only showed how much fun they had finding it. I left it.

I have another where the cammo is the hide. I think I would have to delete a spoiler photo on that one because it would ruin the whole cache.

All my others I love seeing photos with the cache or just of the area. I lets me know people are enjoying my caches.

i do love pictures, but also respect that some pics will spoil the find for others.

so we take pics, but not many end up on the cache page.

there is a local cacher here that feels the need to always take pics and post on his finds.

sooo if you are having problems then look for his log. it will likely help you out.

Monty

Your summary is good: it's about common sense.

Pictures are great and show the cache owner that you appreciated their cache, but a photo that spoils the fun for the next guy is not showing appreciation.

I have a cache with a special container that I wanted to be a surprise for people. No one posted a photo for a long time, until just recently. I decided to leave it at this point. It's not a big deal. I know most people don't look at tba cache page, much less the photos until they post a find.