eTrex 30 "Where To?" -> Track question

happydutch

Hi, I purchased the eTrex 30 Topo bundle. The eTrex 30 is very similar to my Legend, but one thing that is much different is how it shows the current track that I hiked. It overlays the current route (selected with "Where To?") on top of the track breadcrumbs making it impossible to see where I have hiked. On my Legend it overlays the track breadcrumbs on top of the track that is being navigated, allowing you to see to what you have hiked so far if you zoom out and display the entire track.

Is there a way to change this?

Hi, I purchased the eTrex 30 Topo bundle. The eTrex 30 is very similar to my Legend, but one thing that is much different is how it shows the current track that I hiked. It overlays the current route (selected with "Where To?") on top of the track breadcrumbs making it impossible to see where I have hiked. On my Legend it overlays the track breadcrumbs on top of the track that is being navigated, allowing you to see to what you have hiked so far if you zoom out and display the entire track.Is there a way to change this?

Make sure under Setup > Tracks > TrackLog is set to "Record, Show on Map"

FYI.... Check out GPS File Depot it has more detailed free topo maps.

Hi, I purchased the eTrex 30 Topo bundle. The eTrex 30 is very similar to my Legend, but one thing that is much different is how it shows the current track that I hiked. It overlays the current route (selected with "Where To?") on top of the track breadcrumbs making it impossible to see where I have hiked. On my Legend it overlays the track breadcrumbs on top of the track that is being navigated, allowing you to see to what you have hiked so far if you zoom out and display the entire track.Is there a way to change this?

Thanks for the response! I did check that option. What happens is that the current track being navigated shows up purple and overlays on the "breadcrumb track" that I gave a yellow color". On a screen refresh you can see it appear for a moment but it is overlaid by the purple track.

Thanks for the response! I did check that option. What happens is that the current track being navigated shows up purple and overlays on the "breadcrumb track" that I gave a yellow color". On a screen refresh you can see it appear for a moment but it is overlaid by the purple track.

Change the color of the tracks? I just got my etrex 20 but had read about how to do that, but didnt need to so far in my case..

I read it best here:

http://www.aukadia.net/gps/lw3_0.htm

Change the color of the tracks? I just got my etrex 20 but had read about how to do that, but didnt need to so far in my case..

I read it best here:

http://www.aukadia.net/gps/lw3_0.htm

That's a good link -- done that as well. Seems that the eTrex 20/30 always overlays the current navigated track over the breadcrumbs. Seems something I'll have to live with.

Surely if you can't see the breadcrumb trail you know it's under the route :huh: so I'm struggling to see why you feel it's an issue?

I too moved from a Legend H to the Etrex 20 and wouldn't go back :)

I just got used to see my track, and when I zoom out I could see what part of the trail I had hiked. It's just a matter of being used to this for years. And personally think breadcrumbs should always be visible... It's more intuitive.

It shows your position. As long as you know which way you're going, it's not an issue, is it?

To see how track nav has changed on the new models, go to your active route screen while navigating a track. You may also want to use data fields such as distance to next and waypoint at next in conjunction with track navigation...

http://gpstracklog.com/2010/07/navigating-tracks-on-the-new-garmin-handhelds.html

It shows your position. As long as you know which way you're going, it's not an issue, is it?

To see how track nav has changed on the new models, go to your active route screen while navigating a track. You may also want to use data fields such as distance to next and waypoint at next in conjunction with track navigation...

http://gpstracklog.com/2010/07/navigating-tracks-on-the-new-garmin-handhelds.html

After years of hiking with the Legend the way it does breadcrumbs has eroded into my brain... Just used to it. Will try active route.

After years of hiking with the Legend the way it does breadcrumbs has eroded into my brain... Just used to it. Will try active route.

Just tried "Active Route". Wow. very nice....! I like it how it inserts "high point" and "low point" automatically. This is SOOOOO much better...

See? It is awesome! And it will insert any waypoints you've created along the track too. I love having the distance to next and waypoint at next data fields on my map screen.

Absolutely. I have added waypoints around trail splits/switches and it will make the hiking experience so much better. Thanks for pointing this out.

Totally worth it..

Thanks! : )