Inapropriate team caching names

brosch

I think to complain to GS customer service might cause more problems then it's worth. Say, GS doesn't like the use of the acronym so much that they decide to ban the users in question. Personally, that would piss me off pretty bad and I would be tempted to go out and start vandalizing those caches, and since we are dealing with individuals who are at the maturity level that they would use an acronym that spelled out an offensive word, there is a good chance that they would be tempted to do the same as I. I think the best option would be for the CO's of the affected logs to simply remove the log page from the cache and send a friendly email requesting the cachers to choose a more appropriate team name next time.

Sorry, knowschad, but you're dead wrong on this one. 99% of people will find that word offensive or at the very least have a problem with it on a log. It's a swear word in case you didn't notice.

I'm assuming you can cite a source? :unsure:

Personally, in my almost half a century on this tiny little marble, having met a few gazillion people, I can only think of a couple dozen I've met who would actually be offended by that word. These folks are the type who bristle at everything, and deliberately seek out things to be offended at, presumably so they can feel smug.

Sorry, knowschad, but you're dead wrong on this one. 99% of people will find that word offensive or at the very least have a problem with it on a log. It's a swear word in case you didn't notice.

Personally, in my almost half a century on this tiny little marble, having met a few gazillion people, I can only think of a couple dozen I've met who would actually be offended by that word. These folks are the type who bristle at everything, and deliberately seek out things to be offended at, presumably so they can feel smug.

And yet you won't say it on this site. (That's not a challenge just a fact)

I'd probably remove the obscenity from the physical log, post an Owner Maintenance log about repairing vandalism, and leave it at that.

I wouldn't delete the online logs. They've already demonstrated that they know where the cache is, and that they have little respect for others or for others' property.

That's what the cache owner asked me to help with.

Unfortunatley, it's not just one or two, but numbering in the 70s. A lot of work.

Then you need to contact Groundspeak customer service.

Sounds like they may need an official reprimand or a minor sanction for the immature behavior. Although unfortunate, contacting Groundspeak customer service may be the correct action.

And yet you won't say it on this site. (That's not a challenge just a fact)

That's true. I won't. Not because the word itself offends me. It really doesn't reach that level. But rather, my reasons are two fold. First, because it would violate the TOU and earn me some bannination. Second, because I don't use that kind of language in a professional setting. I consider anything I post that is visible to 80 bajillion people to be in that context. It's why I don't sling that word around on Faceybook, or other forums I solicit.

If you and I were walking down the street and you used that word, I probably wouldn't even notice. If, however, I invited you over to Thanksgiving dinner and you used the word at the table to tell my mother how awesome her turkey was, I would be offended.

There is a time and a place for everything. Someone's cache log is not the place for this. IMO, it shows a total lack of respect to the cache owner and all of the future finders.

I can only think of a couple dozen I've met who would actually be offended by that word. These folks are the type who bristle at everything, and deliberately seek out things to be offended at, presumably so they can feel smug.

I've never liked the Fword...never have, even when I was young, and used words that I don't now. But I'm not easily offended either, and feel I have an, at least somewhat, open mind. I do try to respect others as much as I can (of their opinions and such too), and if people use this type of language every day, fine, but they should also respect others back. I'd not say anything, most of the time, someone saying it around me, until I hear it more than a couple times...or unless my kids are present. So in the instance of seeing it in a log...once I'd close and move on, but multiple I'd log a NM. Good to know that I will need to always screen them before letting my kids sign one...though, luckily, and thankfully, I haven't seen much nasty language around here.

is it legal ? or ok ? or adviced ?

to remove log sheets from the log book ?

if you find words or drawings in it you find Inapropriate for a family game ?

or is the right way ?

take picture, contact CO, email him picture, let him remove it, if he dont like it ?

is it legal ? or ok ? or adviced ?

to remove log sheets from the log book ?

if you find words or drawings in it you find Inapropriate for a family game ?

or is the right way ?

take picture, contact CO, email him picture, let him remove it, if he dont like it ?

Personally, I don't want ANYONE editing my log books. It's MY cache.

9 Years ago a cache maggot raided one of my caches and left a note and some signature cache maggot swag.

The cacher that found it took everything and I never got to see what it was all about. She thought she was helping by taking it. I certainly didn't appreciate it.

My cache, my judgment. Period.

Sounds like a group of 13 year old boys.

Actually, anyone offended sound like a bunch of prude old ladies.

YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO GO YOUR ENTIRE LIFE NOT BEING OFFENDED. There, I said it.

Maybe not, but why do you want to go though life offending people for no particular reason?

I might use such language while having a beer with buddies, but wouldn't use it while around their kids.

It does seem people are offended a little too easy these days, but it also seems more people don't care if they needlessly offend someone. <_<

YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO GO YOUR ENTIRE LIFE NOT BEING OFFENDED. There, I said it.

Maybe not, but why do you want to go though life offending people for no particular reason?

I might use such language while having a beer with buddies, but wouldn't use it while around their kids.

It does seem people are offended a little too easy these days, but it also seems more people don't care if they needlessly offend someone. dry.gif

Offense is in the eye of the beholder.

It does seem people are offended a little too easy these days, but it also seems more people don't care if they needlessly offend someone. <_<

I suspect there is a direct relationship betwixt those two. :unsure:

Yep!

.... and both are equally wrong in my book.

I don't care who gets offended or not. It's bad behavior and it shouldn't be tolerated and dismissed so easily.

Sad that so many defend the deliberate efforts of miscreants to offend others.

Interesting take on things. It made me go through and reread the whole thread. I still don't see so much as one person defending this behavior. Could you point out what you feel are statements in defense of these miscreants?

These folks are the type who bristle at everything, and deliberately seek out things to be offended at, presumably so they can feel smug.

If that is the most important thing you have to worry about, consider your life to be blessed.

Yes it's offensive; yes it's inappropriate; yes it's unpleasant and juvenile but no one is going to die or lose their soul

I'm also a parent, but my child will not grow up sheltered. He won't fear or be moved to anger over something so trivial as a buncha dudes whose team spells the eff word. All the op has done is give away his power by becoming offended.

[huge]:rolleyes:[/huge]

Actually most old ladies would cuss you out and smack you in the noggin for perpetuating that stereotype.

Most who would be offended are young parents out caching with their kids, as well as others who go far into the woods in an effort to get away from that type of malarkey.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

Interesting take on things. It made me go through and reread the whole thread. I still don't see so much as one person defending this behavior. Could you point out what you feel are statements in defense of these miscreants?

These folks are the type who bristle at everything, and deliberately seek out things to be offended at, presumably so they can feel smug.

If that is the most important thing you have to worry about, consider your life to be blessed.

Yes it's offensive; yes it's inappropriate; yes it's unpleasant and juvenile but no one is going to die or lose their soul

I'm also a parent, but my child will not grow up sheltered. He won't fear or be moved to anger over something so trivial as a buncha dudes whose team spells the eff word. All the op has done is give away his power by becoming offended.

Sorry. I read this several times and I'm still not seeing anyone defending miscreants. I suppose I'll have to go point by point in the hopes that you will correct the error of my ways.

1 ) These folks are the type who bristle at everything, and deliberately seek out things to be offended at, presumably so they can feel smug.

Definitely not defending miscreants. Rather, it was an observation that there are whole hordes of folks out there who really, really want to be offended, and search long and hard until they find something to get offended over. This observation in no way excuses impolite behavior, nor does it defend it.

2 ) YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO GO YOUR ENTIRE LIFE NOT BEING OFFENDED. There, I said it.

Definitely not defending miscreants. Rather, it was an opinion that the world does not exist to protect you, (the collective you), from being offended, if you choose to be. It is not defending impolite behavior in any way.

3 ) If that is the most important thing you have to worry about, consider your life to be blessed.

Definitely not defending miscreants. Rather, it is a statement advising you, (the collective you), that a scrawled four letter word is not necessarily worth becoming stressed over. It is not defending impolite behavior in any way.

4 ) I'm also a parent, but my child will not grow up sheltered. He won't fear or be moved to anger over something so trivial as a buncha dudes whose team spells the eff word. All the op has done is give away his power by becoming offended.

Definitely not defending miscreants. Rather, it is a statement advising you, (the collective you), that a scrawled four letter word is not necessarily worth becoming stressed over. It is not defending impolite behavior in any way.

(Am I repeating myself? Oops!) :ph34r:

I'll ask again, since apparently I wasn't real clear in my earlier request. You claim that folks are defending the behavior of miscreants in this thread. Can you point that out for me? :unsure:

Thanx! :)

Edited by Clan Riffster

Sorry. I read this several times and I'm still not seeing anyone defending miscreants. I suppose I'll have to go point by point in the hopes that you will correct the error of my ways.

1 ) These folks are the type who bristle at everything, and deliberately seek out things to be offended at, presumably so they can feel smug.

Definitely not defending miscreants. Rather, it was an observation that there are whole hordes of folks out there who really, really want to be offended, and search long and hard until they find something to get offended over. This observation in no way excuses impolite behavior, nor does it defend it.

2 ) YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO GO YOUR ENTIRE LIFE NOT BEING OFFENDED. There, I said it.

Definitely not defending miscreants. Rather, it was an opinion that the world does not exist to protect you, (the collective you), from being offended, if you choose to be. It is not defending impolite behavior in any way.

3 ) If that is the most important thing you have to worry about, consider your life to be blessed.

4 ) I'm also a parent, but my child will not grow up sheltered. He won't fear or be moved to anger over something so trivial as a buncha dudes whose team spells the eff word. All the op has done is give away his power by becoming offended.

I'll ask again, since apparently I wasn't real clear in my earlier request. You claim that folks are defending the behavior of miscreants in this thread. Can you point that out for me? :unsure:

That abides.

From one Dude to another, you have achieved the title of Arch Dude with that post. :anibad:B)

I'm offended that you included posts by me .

I also think I will be offended because you used quoted the word, "eff". We all know that that word really means! :lol:

Edited by knowschad

That abides.

From one Dude to another, you have achieved the title of Arch Dude with that post. :anibad:B)

I concur.

Really a sad commentary to the way that we are devolving as a society.

Are we? Or are we just evolving? I'm not so sure I'd put a value judgement on it. It wasn't all that long ago that we couldn't say that something sucked. Today, nobody thinks anything of it, aside from the understanding that there could be more sophisticated ways of saying the same thing. Words lose their power, new words rise up to fill their niche. Its been going on since the beginning of language.

Really a sad commentary to the way that we are devolving as a society.

In what way?

If you mean that we are easily offended, I think that we are less offendable now than ever before. In the early days of the colonies, pranks like the Fantastic Urban Caching Kings may have got you flogged.

If you mean that adults acting like children, I would tend to aggree.

Edit: or do you mean that we are not evolving fast enough, that we should have moved on past being offended by language?

Edited by Andronicus

C'mon people, let's get a grip here.

It's a bit of ink; on a sheet of paper; in a tuppleware box; in the bush.

In any case, in my experience caching with kids they would be too busy ratting around for swag to sign the log,"you do it dad".

If some naive 5 year old were to see it and to ask what it means, use it as a life lesson. "That's a bad word Timmy. Ignorant people who cannot use the Queen's English use such words. They have dirty mouths and dirtier minds".

I presume you take your kids caching not to baby-sit them but to broaden the life experience. A dead animal in the bush might not be pleasant either but would you shield your kids from that as well?

Yes it's offensive; yes it's inappropriate; yes it's unpleasant and juvenile but no one is going to die or lose their soul.

I agree with this. There are far worse things than a simple word on paper. It's just a word. I live my life with one simple thing in mind. NOBODY has the RIGHT to not be offended.

I agree with this. There are far worse things than a simple word on paper. It's just a word. I live my life with one simple thing in mind. NOBODY has the RIGHT to not be offended.

To get a little philosophical, here is the truth:

No one can offend you. When you get offenced, it is you who is offended. You can choose to be offended; or you can choose not to be offended.