Inapropriate team caching names

brosch

Hey all,

Found some caches today where a group of individuals came up with a group name to use when logging some caches.

And then, in order to save space (and probably time) they shortened the name to use just the initials.

So Team Fantastic Urban Caching Kings was shortened to Team F.*.*.K. (you can figure out what letters they used).

I've let the cache owner know of the problem.

I also understand that there is nothing that I can do about it.

Hey all,

Found some caches today where a group of individuals came up with a group name to use when logging some caches.

And then, in order to save space (and probably time) they shortened the name to use just the initials.

So Team Fantastic Urban Caching Kings was shortened to Team F.*.*.K. (you can figure out what letters they used).

If they used the acronym on my cache page I'd delete there logs and ask them to re-log with out it.

Hey all,

I believe Groundspeak has the power to refuse usernames that can sound offensive.

As a curiosity, your username (brosch) in my language sounds like slung for 0r@I $€x...

Problem is that the cache page doesn't spell it out, but the written log has it.

Deleting it from the cache page doesn't really change anything.

And it's not my cache, just on caches that I found today.

If you want to get involved you can send the team members a friendly reminder this is a family oriented activity and kids are likely to see their logs.

I've seen all manner of stuff written and drawn in log books from muggles and cachers. At the end of the day I just pack it all away and call it a day.I don't have time in my day to to be the police for other cachers and log books in caches which may or may not turn to much after a heavy rain anyhow.

Hey all,

I believe Groundspeak has the power to refuse usernames that can sound offensive.

As a curiosity, your username (brosch) in my language sounds like slung for 0r@I $€x...

I actually got a reviewer note before my cache was published for calling my cache "This Sucks!" informing me it may not be family friendly so they are watching. I did convince him it was and not have 3 caches in my "This Sucks!" series.

Hey all,

Some people will deliberately push the envelope. I've seen a few user names that I consider offensive. Obviously they have goten by the censors. They go on my ignore list. WhiskeyFoxtrotTango??? WTF. Obviously deliberate.

Or a name that means diarrhea based on the name of a Pennsylvania chocolate producer?

Do we really need this?!?

Are you sure? I would think writing F**K in their log would violate the terms of use, no? I certainly wouldn't allow such words on my cache page. They would be deleted promplty with explanation.

The TOU applies to things posted on the web site, not to things written on the paper logs in caches.

Are you sure? I would think writing F**K in their log would violate the terms of use, no? I certainly wouldn't allow such words on my cache page. They would be deleted promplty with explanation.

The TOU applies to things posted on the web site, not to things written on the paper logs in caches.

Ahh. Well not sure what to do other than complain? I have to admit I find it a bit humorous, but know others wouldn't see it that way.

I've seen all manner of stuff written and drawn in log books from muggles and cachers. At the end of the day I just pack it all away and call it a day.I don't have time in my day to to be the police for other cachers and log books in caches which may or may not turn to much after a heavy rain anyhow.

+1

Hey all,

You let the cache owner know of what problem? That somebody is signing logs with something that you find offensive? Sorry, but to my mind, there is no problem aside from the fact that you see one.

I didn't look at each and every log, but I did look at quite a few, and I didn't see any where they shorted the name to the acronym that you shortened it to. Sure... I'm sure that was their intention. I'm sure there was some very juvenile giggling going on at the time. But they posted the full "Fantastic Urban Caching Kings" name in every log that I saw. It was you that chose to post the asterisk'd version that more closely spells out the forbidden word. I knew that they meant... you SAID what they meant.

Hey all,

You let the cache owner know of what problem? That somebody is signing logs with something that you find offensive? Sorry, but to my mind, there is no problem aside from the fact that you see one.

I didn't look at each and every log, but I did look at quite a few, and I didn't see any where they shorted the name to the acronym that you shortened it to. Sure... I'm sure that was their intention. I'm sure there was some very juvenile giggling going on at the time. But they posted the full "Fantastic Urban Caching Kings" name in every log that I saw. It was you that chose to post the asterisk'd version that more closely spells out the forbidden word. I knew that they meant... you SAID what they meant.

I think the issue here is that they wrote the F-word on the physical paper logs.

So my question would be, as a cache owner, what recourse would you have except to go out and replace the logs?

Hey all,

This is in the written log, not on geocaching.com.

The geocaching.com log states, in part:

"...then made a diversion to the new Randall Road area- we were signing the log Team Fantastic Urban Caching Kings to conserve space..."

and yes, it did list the individuals who were there.

No, it is not a group of 13 year olds.

Problem is that this is supposed to be a family oriented type of game, and finding a written log stating that "Team F.*.*.K" signed the log on 12/1 probably isn't a good idea for kids who would also be out caching.

Hey all,

That's right. You don't see it on the electronic log. It's not there. The only thing there is what you wrote, which is copied from the web log.

What you don't see, and what I and others saw, was the abreviated version that they used to save space. Which did *not* include asterisks.

I put in the astericks specifically because of things like terms of service from Groundspeak.

Yeah, I had a problem with it. But from the perspective of that of a parent who would possibly have kids around. My wife also had complaints about it, as did another cacher who I ran into while caching today. Three for three on that.

As did the cache owner. It turns out that he was out today also and stopped by several of the caches. He saw it prior to me even saying something to him about it.

Hey all,

That's right. You don't see it on the electronic log. It's not there. The only thing there is what you wrote, which is copied from the web log.

What you don't see, and what I and others saw, was the abreviated version that they used to save space. Which did *not* include asterisks.

I put in the astericks specifically because of things like terms of service from Groundspeak.

Yeah, I had a problem with it. But from the perspective of that of a parent who would possibly have kids around. My wife also had complaints about it, as did another cacher who I ran into while caching today. Three for three on that.

As did the cache owner. It turns out that he was out today also and stopped by several of the caches. He saw it prior to me even saying something to him about it.

Sorry, knowschad, but you're dead wrong on this one. 99% of people will find that word offensive or at the very least have a problem with it on a log. It's a swear word in case you didn't notice.

Caches get stolen. They get vandalized and sometimes people open them up and write foul words or draw dirty pictures in the logbooks. This happens by what we call muggles. In this case, it happened by geocachers. I see that as a big problem and a sign of disrespect to everyone that has ever hidden a cache.

If it happened around here, it would not be dismissed as a harmless juvenile joke.

Edited by Don_J

I do many times have my kids in tow, caching, and I would not like them to see that word...we do not use that language around them. Right now, it wouldn't be much issue, but to bug me, as they can't read....but give me a year, and I'll have to scan all the log books before I hand them to my kid to sign. Which I will do, but it is a family game, we shouldn't have to be worrying about such foul language being shoved into young kids' faces. It's just disrespectful.

C'mon people, let's get a grip here.

It's a bit of ink; on a sheet of paper; in a tuppleware box; in the bush.

In any case, in my experience caching with kids they would be too busy ratting around for swag to sign the log,"you do it dad".

If some naive 5 year old were to see it and to ask what it means, use it as a life lesson. "That's a bad word Timmy. Ignorant people who cannot use the Queen's English use such words. They have dirty mouths and dirtier minds".

I presume you take your kids caching not to baby-sit them but to broaden the life experience. A dead animal in the bush might not be pleasant either but would you shield your kids from that as well?

Yes it's offensive; yes it's inappropriate; yes it's unpleasant and juvenile but no one is going to die or lose their soul.

The GF and I found a cache probably 3-4 months ago. It wasn't a new cache, but the log had recently been replaced. On the very first page of the new logbook, the first finders of the new logbook wrote, essentially "YEA BUDDY FIRST TO SIGN THE NEW F___ING LOG BOOK. F___ YEA. SUCK OUR D___S." It was written to take up the entire first page. A few people had signed the log after us on different pages and we simply ripped their page out and threw it out. Ridiculous. That's the worst and thankfully only time we've come across that.

Problem is that this is supposed to be a family oriented type of game, and finding a written log stating that "Team F.*.*.K" signed the log on 12/1 probably isn't a good idea for kids who would also be out caching.

The kids willl get over it. They always do. If they are old enough to know what that word means, though, they have already heard the word. Just consider it an opportunity to teach them about appropriate use of those words.

My 2 cents.

Hey all,

Sorry, knowschad, but you're dead wrong on this one. 99% of people will find that word offensive or at the very least have a problem with it on a log. It's a swear word in case you didn't notice.

I'm a big fan of the late George Carlin.

Edited by knowschad

OP, are you offended by the Florida Ape Geocaching Society? :unsure:

I guess it's your right to be.... :rolleyes:

Some of my favorite cachers call themselves Team STFU when they cache together.

You would probably be offended by my Sofa King series of caches. I've hidden 3 so far, but I have a lot more planned.

sofa_king_guy.gif

You would probably be offended by my Sofa King series of caches. I've hidden 3 so far, but I have a lot more planned.

Understood, but does your cache say sofa king or so f**king and do you post that online.

I use SK as in That's S.K. Obvious. The by line says That's Sofa King

It's obfuscation of two normal words that sound like a curse when said together... And yes, immaturity IS keeping me young.

I'm also a parent, but my child will not grow up sheltered. He won't fear or be moved to anger over something so trivial as a buncha dudes whose team spells the eff word. :rolleyes: All the op has done is give away his power by becoming offended.

Understood, but does your cache say sofa king or so f**king and do you post that online.

It's obfuscation of two normal words that sound like a curse when said together... And yes, immaturity IS keeping me young.

I'm also a parent, but my child will not grow up sheltered. He won't fear or be moved to anger over something so trivial as a buncha dudes whose team spells the eff word. :rolleyes: All the op has done is give away his power by becoming offended.

Screw obfuscation. (irony intended). We both know it's not allowed regardless whether or not children will explode upon hearing it.

Screw obfuscation. (irony intended). We both know it's not allowed regardless whether or not children will explode upon hearing it.

Really? Please post SBAs on my caches if you are so offended.

Sofa and King are not curses. They sound like one together. Where does the censorship end when you head down that slippery slope?

I know a cacher who loves hockey and was pressured by the crunchy granola hand wringers in his local caching continuum to change his geo-nick because a small minority didn't like it. The name used to be Puck Off.

Sorry. I'll agree to disagree here.

Obviously, adults should know better than to pull a childish prank like this. The last time I thought something like that was funny was in grade 2.

Should we be concerned for our precious inocent as snow children who we cache with? No. If one of your kids happens to read this, take that as your que to start a conversation about appropriate vs. inappropriate behavior. Your kids may well be better off for it.

My two cents: If a cacher sent me a note saying that someone wrote an obscene word in one of my log books, I would go out there and cross out that word. If I found a cache and someone had written an obscene word in their paper log, I would take my sharpie and cross out that word.

Geocaching is a family activity and deliberate, literal foul language (which, don't get me wrong, I use liberally in my job) is not acceptable.

Sofa King is hilarious. Writing the f-word in a public place is not.

Obviously, adults should know better than to pull a childish prank like this. The last time I thought something like that was funny was in grade 2.

Should we be concerned for our precious inocent as snow children who we cache with? No. If one of your kids happens to read this, take that as your que to start a conversation about appropriate vs. inappropriate behavior. Your kids may well be better off for it.

hmmm, reminds me of the grief I got for posting about telling my kids, - I know you are going to say it to your friends, just don't say it in front of your mother.

bd

Edited by BlueDeuce

Best to bring it to your local reviewer and let them handle it, even if it's outside of their area.

That's not correct. I advise writing to Groundspeak customer service. Volunteer Cache Reviewers review geocache page submissions, not logging disputes.

Ultimately it is the cache owner's decision and it sounds like that decision has been made. Like many geocachers, this CO removed the log page in question. I've done the same thing, both as a finder and an owner.

Adding a standard reminder not to use this thread as an experiment to see what you can get away with posting in the forums, or to see who can develop the most witty double entendre. I'll sooner lock the thread than babysit it. But, if you'd like to discuss the ISSUE of how to deal with offensive material spotted in physical cache logs, keep on postin'. Thanks!

I'd probably remove the obscenity from the physical log, post an Owner Maintenance log about repairing vandalism, and leave it at that.

I wouldn't delete the online logs. They've already demonstrated that they know where the cache is, and that they have little respect for others or for others' property.

Best to bring it to your local reviewer and let them handle it, even if it's outside of their area.

That's not correct. I advise writing to Groundspeak customer service. Volunteer Cache Reviewers review geocache page submissions, not logging disputes.

Ultimately it is the cache owner's decision and it sounds like that decision has been made. Like many geocachers, this CO removed the log page in question. I've done the same thing, both as a finder and an owner.

Understood.

I'd probably remove the obscenity from the physical log, post an Owner Maintenance log about repairing vandalism, and leave it at that.

I wouldn't delete the online logs. They've already demonstrated that they know where the cache is, and that they have little respect for others or for others' property.

That's what the cache owner asked me to help with.

Unfortunatley, it's not just one or two, but numbering in the 70s. A lot of work.

That's what the cache owner asked me to help with.

Unfortunatley, it's not just one or two, but numbering in the 70s. A lot of work.

Then you need to contact Groundspeak customer service.

Hey all,

I actually got a reviewer note before my cache was published for calling my cache "This Sucks!" informing me it may not be family friendly so they are watching. I did convince him it was and not have 3 caches in my "This Sucks!" series.

I have a series of caches called "That Dam Cache" all four caches are placed near existing or washed out dams and my local reviewer never said a word about it.