How do I pinpoint coordinates on google maps when hiding a cache?

KrillKat

I have put out 28 geocaches. Coordinates can be off when placing a cache so I always like to try and pinpoint them on google maps so my listing is accurate for coords. The only way I have been able to do this is to tediously tweak the coordinates on google maps. I cut and paste them into the google search bar. It brings up the satellite map, I will zoom in and find the spot where the cache is and then slowly change the last number of each of the latitude and longitude (zooming in again after every change) in order to pinpoint the cache. If I try and just right click on google maps where the cache is I get a latitude and longitude reading that does not coincide with the geocaching.com format for listing caches. Is there an easier way? Thanks!

Don't forget that the space view isn't always accurate. In my experience, the 45° view is typically off by at least 30 feet, at least in my area. Since that's the default view in Google, you might want to switch to the straight down view to make your measurements. While the space view can improve your coordinates, it's not a complete substitute for what your GPSr tells you. When I can, I take the adjusted coordinates from the space view and then go back to GZ to confirm they lead to the cache before I publish them.

Oh, by the way, when you have to deal with those different coordinate formats, you can use that "Other Conversions" link you'll find on every geocache page under the coordinates.

I always take initial readings with my GPSr and then use the average function. Then, on a return visit I select the waypoint that's averaged and navigate to it with the compass to see how far off it is/might be. Then I mark another waypoint and average that one and then average the two readings if necessary. Finally, I go back a third time with my GPSr and my backup GPSr and average coordinates on both and then average all the coordinates if necessary. I NEVER use Google maps to determine where my cache is located.

I've never heard of using google maps for "correcting" cache placement coords. Since youre placing the cache, take the reading there!

This much vary from location to location. Here in the SF bay area, the space view is typically more accurate than what people get from the GPSr on scene. I can tell when a cache is placed by a newby when the space view shows the coordinates are in the middle of a street.

I always take a reading in the field, adjust it in space view, then go back to the field to confirm that the space view numbers do take me to the cache. Only when I've gotten both sources to agree to I submit.

I've never heard of using google maps for "correcting" cache placement coords. Since youre placing the cache, take the reading there!

This much vary from location to location. Here in the SF bay area, the space view is typically more accurate than what people get from the GPSr on scene. I can tell when a cache is placed by a newby when the space view shows the coordinates are in the middle of a street.

...snip...

I'm not sure I follow the logic in that. Can't that just mean Google is wrong?

And, people don't (mostly) hunt geocaches using Google. So even if Google is more accurate wouldn't be better to use the measurement "people get from the GPSr on scene"?

Addendum: Google might be the way to go in central city concrete canyons where satellite reception is no good.

Edited by Huntleigh