Cache reviewed OK - Now Disabled by Reviewer..

Bozoid

Before I start my rant.. pls look at my cache page with the logs.

Frogger...! - GC3Q8J1

Some cachers have been moaning (privately to reviewers) that the cache was/is "to dangerous".

But then on the other hand, there has been some good logs on the page. I have tried to update the page, to tell people that, this might be a "difficult" cache and also sent the reviewer an email to explain what I have done to the page.

-----------------------------

GC3Q8J1 - FROGGER

I am just "gathering" Information so I can keep this cache in its location.

1. Road signs to say "beware of pedestrians crossing" on the main road. (reviewer note)

2. Previous logs saying this cache is ok - but be careful.

3. edit page to say be careful.

4. I will raise to a 5/4

I also enabled the cache only to have the reviewer disable it again with a warning note.

Is there an overall "reviewer" who can over-turn someone's "opinion" on this cache..?

Surely, Rock Climbing and Abseiling you need the gear, to get to the cache and be "experienced".

With this cache you need "The Green Cross Code" which is free..! (and some sense..!)

I look forward to comments - and get the cache running again.

T4TC...!

Mikee

From what I can see from reading the logs it looks like something that might get the cache seeker killed or injured (in which regard it's really no different from caches in other improbable locations that require rock climbing, abseiling, scuba diving and whatnot) but also might result in a serious road incident if drivers are distracted by people in unexpected places.

I suspect, although can't speak for Red Duster, that the problem is the issue of risks associated with distracting drivers on a fast road rather than the issue that someone seeking the cache might get hurt.

Maybe it's different in the UK, but where I live it is usually forbidden to cross roads that have guard rails. Where are those road signs you mentioned located? I can't see them on Google Street View.

If the cache is on a public footpath, you should use that path to approach the cache since that is the safest way. Also, point one of the green cross code is "THINK! Find the safest place to cross, then stop." A road like this obviously isn't the safest place to cross if you have a viaduct nearby.

In the end, the reviewer applies the rules and you have to convince them to get your cache approved.

Not much fun, but it's the way it is. Try to find a compromise.

I did email the reviewer...

GC3Q8J1 - FROGGER

I am just "gathering" Information so I can keep this cache in its location.

1. Road signs to say "beware of pedestrians crossing" on the main road. (reviewer note)

2. Previous logs saying this cache is ok - but be careful.

3. edit page to say be careful.

4. I will raise to a 5/4

He wants it moved, but why..?

Drivers have warning.. by means of CLEAR road signs.

Cachers have warning.. by means of Cache page and previous logs...

It's not uncommon for a cache to be temporarily disabled while an issue which comes to the reviewers attention is sorted out at a later date after publishing. Reviewers don't always have all the information they need to make the right decision in the beginning, and in addition they're human so can miss something that perhaps someone else may have spotted before. I'm not sure why you have a problem with that - or if that's the main thing you're not happy with.

Perhpas it's the fact that some cachers have approached the publishing reviewer with regard to their concerns which is bugging you. It might help you to understand that that is actually the correct procedure according to the guidelines of the game. It does strike me that if your brusque and dismissive tone on this post of those actions "moaning (privately to reviewers)" is indicative of the short shrift anyone mentioning their concerns to you would have received, then I can understand why they have gone through to a reviewer in the first instance.

If you think that it's a good place to have a cache, that's certainly your opinion (it's certainly inventive and I applaud your ingenuity) but it might help you to understand that some good 'found it' logs don't always equal sensible long-term safety considerations. A safe place to cross a busy road, looking both ways and paying attention to traffic, is not necessarily a safe place to loiter, stop looking at the approaching vehicles and start rummaging for a hidden item, not taking care exactly where you are standing at all times. It also presents an issue of distraction to oncoming traffic.

I'm not sure comparing it to a cache where you need climbing gear or abseiling equipment is a fair analogy. Transport accidents remain the largest single cause of death among people aged 15 to 29 (Source: European Commission Statistics), not so for climbing. When someone goes climbing with kit they make a much larger investment of time, money and planning in to the adventure. When they go to get a cache on a footpath it can often be a spur of the moment decision which can result in hasty and poor decisions about what is and isn't safe at the time, when they're faced with something they weren't expecting.

In the end reviewer(s) are the final arbiter of what is and isn't a good idea to make this a happy and generally safe game for everyone (cachers AND driving muggles alike). I'm not sure that flouting a reviewers request and simply re-enabling a cache when you've been asked to move it, was a good idea. That appears to be why your cache was disabled again.

If the cache is on a public footpath, you should use that path to approach the cache since that is the safest way. Also, point one of the green cross code is "THINK! Find the safest place to cross, then stop." A road like this obviously isn't the safest place to cross if you have a viaduct nearby.

In the end, the reviewer applies the rules and you have to convince them to get your cache approved.

Not much fun, but it's the way it is. Try to find a compromise.

The cache is on a public footpath, the footpath crosses the road at this point, hence the pedestrian route through the central barrier and the footpath signs at the top of the embankment each side of the road (not visible on Streetview, but they are there). In my opinion, if someone can be taught to use a GPS and a computer then they can be taught to cross a road safely, and if they can not, then they should be supervised by someone who can. I was taught to cross roads safely when I first went to school, and have been doing so for well over 50 years!

Edited by The Bongtwashes

The safety of cachers is their own responsibility and as the cache is on a designated crossing I published it. It now appears that innocent drivers are being put at risk by people in the central reservation and they have been taking avoiding action. For this reason I have asked that the cache be relocated away from the road for the safety of the drivers who unlike cachers can not assess the risk before they arrive at GZ.

With hindsight I would not have published it, but you live and learn.

Andy

Red Duster

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

Why?

Why did you place it there?

Yes, it may be a footpath (footpath, not a pavement) it's the crash barrier between the fast lanes of a duel carriageway... The vehicles will be passing you at around 70MPH (the National Speed Limit for that type of road) anyone searching is only a few feet from the traffic.

It's a footpath, legally you are allowed to "pass and re-pass" while travelling from one place to another. It's not the place for a cache.

Motorists are not expecting people to be loitering around the location.

While you are searching you are NOT aware of the traffic.

Unsafe, and you have VERY Little control of the situation, unlike caches requiring 'special equipment.'

Is it really the image YOU want to give of what Geocaching is?

Just spotted your question, there is not an overall reviewer, but you can appeal to Groundspeak directly. Email them (appeals@Groundspeak.com) with the GC code and the reasons you feel that the cache should remain in this location. They will then have a look for you.

Andy

Red Duster

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

I think the reviewer has done absolutely the right thing. The cache placement is a disaster waiting to happen.

The cache listing seems to boast about the setting of this challenge. In my opinion challenging cachers to cross a busy dual carriageway (right of way or not) has no point whatsoever. In the vrey unlikely event I would ever consider searching for this cache I can't believe I would come away from it with any sense of achievement or pride. To make matters worse it doesn't even seem like a very interesting bit of central reservation! Everyone says it stinks and is covered in Rubbish.

Are you really proud of this cache?

Red Duster and Others..

I see your point. If a cacher wants to do it, it's upto them. I think I have made that clear on the cache page.

As for the drivers, there ARE signs (see post #4) warning them, THAT "pedestrians will be crossing", as there are *3* crossing at that part of the road (1/3mile separates them)

Its only when I drive up that bit of road I know there is a Cache there. other wise, someone could be doing their shoelace up...

May I also point out this cache as well, which I have just come across...

road RAGE danger - GC1GE0B

I see that this one has not been Disabled...

As with some 5/5 caches there is danger to life if you are stupid, it's a choice if the cacher wants to do the cache or not.. The cachers have been warned and so have the drivers approaching the area.

(Sorry Red Duster - No hard feeling...? Just stating that the signs are there warning people)

I have to agree with the majority of the replies... It's a pretty daft place to hide a cache. I drove past that point a couple of evenings ago in the pouring rain and fairly heavy traffic travelling at close to the legal limit and to see somebody running across the road would have been just a little disconcerting, to say the least. Just because that short section of the centre reservation has legitimate public access, it doesn't give you the inalienable right to place a cache there. I'm certain that if you'd followed the correct procedure and asked the Highways Agency (or whoever is responsible for that section of road) for permission to place a cache on the centre reservation at that point, the answer would have been along the lines of "B*gger off and don't be so stupid!"

While the cache may or may not have issues because it is dangerous I think it is you response and lack of following directions that is the bigger issue. For one it was disabled for 3 months without any action on your part until the Reviewer sent you another note threatening to archive it. I notice that this cache has been disabled for some time now and I've not had a [r]esponse to my email. Could the owner please resolve the problem or give an indication of why it is still disabled and when it is likely to be resolved. Otherwise it should be archived. If there is no response to this log after 10 days I may archive the cache. You also did not follow directions, and enabled it without moving it(we can assume that is part of what the reviewer told you in his private email) In my email to the owner I asked that the cache was not enabled until it had been moved.

If it is enabled in this location again it may be archived without further warning.

You also have to realize that the reviewers only have the information that you gave them, and may not know all details of the cache, in this case until someone else brought it up to the reviewer. While it is a cache I would find it IS dangerous. Here in North America jobs that involve being that close to traffic (tow trucks, police etc) are some of the most dangerous jobs. While rock climbing/rapelling may be equal in risk they also have safety equipment and here there is literally nothing. That guardrail won't stop a vehicle from hitting you at a decent speed.

I don't think a cache in the center is a good idea. A good game of frogger has many crossings - what about a multi that bounces back and forth a few times? Nobody stays in the middle of the road (unless hit) and you get the cachers to do the fun/stupid/whatever crossing that you want them to do.

May I also point out this cache as well, which I have just come across...

road RAGE danger - GC1GE0B

I see that this one has not been Disabled...

You've read the guidelines?

Please be advised that there is no precedent for placing geocaches. This means that the past publication of a similar geocache in and of itself is not a valid justification for the publication of a new geocache. If a geocache has been published and violates any guidelines listed below, you are encouraged to report it.

There may be signs warning motorists about pedestrians crossing the road. There is no such warning for people "hanging around for no apparent reason..."

hi folks, perhaps some of you might look at my log for this good cache. the crash barrier in the center overlaps for the footpath by about 50 feet so you are well protected,drivers should be ready for the unexpected and drive safely, at the three crossings on this section of the road the barrier is the same overlapping type and drivers can see easily as its so clear and level at these crossings,obviously its not sensible to look for this one when its dark for everybodys sake, all differing opinions but i liked it, jeff=bones1.

I'm all for caches that need ropes or climbing to access.

But I agree that this particular one is likely to cause too much danger. I'd argue its case if I thought that all cachers were sensible and wouldn't take the whole team (perhaps even their kids and dogs) along for the search. Sadly, even though they wouldn't direct their kids to abseil down for a cache I can imagine some who would go straight to a central reservation with kids, dogs and everything; then spend half an hour there searching every nook and cranny, distracting motorists and causing unnecessary alarm and danger.

Edited by Happy Humphrey

Bozoid, can you please give your reason/s why you think this makes a good cache?

It's a heck of a lot better than lots of others I've found in supposedly safe locations.

How? What makes this a good cache?

For a start it was safer for me to get to!

Fair enough.

I can’t comment on this cache personally but from what I have read, its redeeming features are:

Smelly.

Dirty.

Lots of rubbish.

Dangerous to get to/from.

So, aside from the fact that it isn’t as hazardous to access as some other caches, please can Bozoid tell me why this is a good cache?

hi folks, perhaps some of you might look at my log for this good cache. the crash barrier in the center overlaps for the footpath by about 50 feet so you are well protected,drivers should be ready for the unexpected and drive safely, at the three crossings on this section of the road the barrier is the same overlapping type and drivers can see easily as its so clear and level at these crossings,obviously its not sensible to look for this one when its dark for everybodys sake, all differing opinions but i liked it, jeff=bones1.

Why did you like it so much?

I can’t comment on this cache personally but from what I have read, its redeeming features are:

Smelly.

Dirty.

Lots of rubbish.

Dangerous to get to/from.

So, aside from the fact that it isn’t as hazardous to access as some other caches, please can Bozoid tell me why this is a good cache?

As you say, you can't comment on it personally. When I went to find it it was none of those, but then I approached and left from the opposite direction to those who complained.

Interestingly, of all those who decided it was dangerous, only raggled robin decided not to try to find it :unsure:

I think you should let this one go. I think it's a cute idea in a fascinating place, and I see the logic of your arguments, but it just seems like it's going to cause you too much grief in the end. Maybe something nearby would preserve the amusement value without actually putting seekers into the game.

If you really have your heart set on keeping it, go out of your way to encourage safety. Your comment about "no more dangerous than..." is the exact opposite of what your attitude should be. Say that it's every bit as dangerous as... (or even more dangerous than, since unlike rock climbing, here you're trusting your life to complete strangers). The way you've phrased it minimizes the danger even though technically admitted to it, but you should be stressing the danger, instead. You should also explain exactly where the cache is, and not just in the hint, so no one has to search for it out there. Perhaps you should even encourage people to grab the cache and then get out of the center and away from the road while they sign the log to minimize the impact on drivers. As you say, the drivers should be expecting pedestrians -- astonishingly -- but that doesn't mean they're prepared for people hanging out in the median.

I'd also suggest not just mentioning the Green Cross Code, but actually including it in the description. You might even include a link to more information about it. A great opportunity to foster pedestrian safety.

Of course, all those things would be in a description which might not be read, so they don't completely eliminate the problem.

As a foreigner, it's hard for me to get my head around such a crossing, so forgive me if my comments are off base. My main point is that while the argument can be made that you don't have to do these things to help keep people safe when they're going after this cache, you should want to do them.

By the way, I hate it when people anonymously complain about a cache behind the scenes via a private note to the reviewer instead of posting a Needs Archived note to explain publicly why they think the suitability of a cache should be reconsidered. But that's a completely different issue.

I canhowever, express an opinion on what has been said about it. I can also 'ask' for more information from the CO and the people who have found it so far. No one has told us yet....Why is this a good cache or a worthy location? If there was a circle of prehistoric standing stones, an interesting monument or a great view at this location, I could understand Bozoid's passion but really....

I just want to wiegh in on this. I know the location well as pass it twice a day 5 days a week. It's a busy road most people do 70+ mph so it's not recemended to go bimbling across at 17:15 on a Friday afternoon! It is however on a footpath (public right of way) and therefore IMHO fairgame for a cache! There are other local caches in far more dangous locations planning permission denined GCM1EQ this is on a round about just off the A41 and as a driver I wouldn't expect people to on a roundabout I would expect them to be on a footpath!

We did GCM1EQ while Andy Murry was playing in the semi final and the roads where quite! We were planning to do Frogger on Xmas day WHEN THE ROAD IS QUITE! it's all about picking your moments! As for the reason for the cache well why not it's more interesting than base of a tree!

Basically if the cacher hurts him/herself they have been warned. But when you put somebody that isn't playing the game in danger.... then there is a problem. Like I said about working on power lines, If I did something stupid and hurt myself so be it, but if my actions cause somebody else to get hurt I would have a hard time dealing with that.

I just want to wiegh in on this. I know the location well as pass it twice a day 5 days a week. It's a busy road most people do 70+ mph so it's not recemended to go bimbling across at 17:15 on a Friday afternoon! It is however on a footpath (public right of way) and therefore IMHO fairgame for a cache! There are other local caches in far more dangous locations planning permission denined GCM1EQ this is on a round about just off the A41 and as a driver I wouldn't expect people to on a roundabout I would expect them to be on a footpath!

We did GCM1EQ while Andy Murry was playing in the semi final and the roads where quite! We were planning to do Frogger on Xmas day WHEN THE ROAD IS QUITE! it's all about picking your moments! As for the reason for the cache well why not it's more interesting than base of a tree!

I can't think of anything less interesting than the central reservation of a dual carriageway!...and you're spending Xmas day there...Really?

Legochugglers how rubbish at caching do you think I am? A whole day to find 1 cache at that rate it would have taken 3 years to get to the number we've reached! We happen to be going for a family meal in that direction and I've stated in my previous post IT WILL BE QUITE ON THE ROAD! how interesting will it be is to be discovered but that's my point we have to be let be able to find out for ourselves!

When the road is quite what? I could never wiegh in on this dangous cache, its not recemended and permission would be denined by Mr Hoomer, espaecially on Chrestmaz Day. :laughing:

When the road is quite what? I could never wiegh in on this dangous cache, its not recemended and permission would be denined by Mr Hoomer, espaecially on Chrestmaz Day. :laughing:

Tut tut, at both of you. I will leave it at that as my metal knickers are in the wash :ph34r:

All joking apart, I would be interested to hear how you know this cache to be more interesting than 'base of tree' when you have yet to complete it?

Just because there is a PROW, you don't have to put a cache there. Wacky I know but sometimes, common sense needs to play a part in where you place a cache too, strange but true.

I wait with baited breath for you to return here after Christmas and regale me with how much 'fun' you had on Christmas day doing this cache :blink: .

Tut tut, at both of you. I will leave it at that as my metal knickers are in the wash :ph34r:

You wanna watch you don't break your machine again Mandy :laughing: .

Legochugglers how rubbish at caching do you think I am? A whole day to find 1 cache at that rate it would have taken 3 years to get to the number we've reached! We happen to be going for a family meal in that direction and I've stated in my previous post IT WILL BE QUITE ON THE ROAD! how interesting will it be is to be discovered but that's my point we have to be let be able to find out for ourselves!

I have a feeling that the cache will be either archived or in a slightly different place away from the carriageway by Christmas Day. I assume you will still walk out to the central reservation anyway because it is interesting. I hope your experience lives up to expectations.

From what I see there are no grounds to disable it on the grounds of danger and/or risk. It's on a public footpath that happens to cross a dual carriageway. The argument about people loitering in the central reservation is specious, in as much as any pedestrian crossing that road and standing in the safe area between the barriers while waiting for a gap in the traffic would appear to any passing driver to be 'loitering', the alternative would be that they appear to be throwing themselves into the path of the oncoming vehicle. However if the reviewers were to ask for evidence of permission being granted by the landowner then it's not going to be forthcoming as permission will never be granted by the highways agency; add to that the fact that it doesn't sound like a particularly good place for a cache (though I could be wrong as I've never been there), and it might be time to let it go.

Just my 2penneth

I have a feeling that the cache will be either archived or in a slightly different place away from the carriageway by Christmas Day. I assume you will still walk out to the central reservation anyway because it is interesting. I hope your experience lives up to expectations.

We are going too. Mr Hoomer has designed a bespoke plate which fits snugly on the Armco so your Turkey doesn't slide off and you don't have to chase your stuffing balls down the road.

Maconb makes a most relevant point in post No.36. If you go for a "dangerous" cache that requires abseiling / climbing etc, then you are putting yourself at risk. Caveat cacher, as they would have said in Ancient Rome. With this cache however, not only are you putting yourself in danger, you are also potentially endangering the lives of others, who's reaction to your movements in the central reservation you are unable to predict. Surely, for example, it would not be an unnatural reaction for an approaching driver in the outside lane to think it desirable to get into the inside lane as quickly as he / she could, when they saw someone in the central reservation who was obviously not merely standing there waiting for a gap in the traffic to cross the road. Could that desire not mean that the driver would possibly take risks to change lane that would not ordinarily be taken?

Then there's the case of the Taunton firework display last year that caused a pile up on the M5, resulting in (I think) 7 deaths. The organiser of the display is on trial, accused of manslaughter. Surely, if a cacher in the central reservation were to cause a sudden reaction by a motorist, then he / she could also be accused of being responsible for any accident that occurred as a result? And could the blame then not also be extended to the person who placed the cache, in what the prosecution would no doubt claim to be a "reckless" (or similar legal word) position?

I'd like to discuss another aspect of this cache: in the US, dollars to donuts some idiot would try to drive there, stop their car right on the road, and look for the cache. From the street view, it looks that would be utterly insane. Are people in the UK just universally smarter then us in the US so this isn't an issue, or is this more of a caching culture difference? Around here, I'd be very surprised if such a cache didn't have a lot of verbiage about where to park just to try to avoid some moron thinking this is a park&grab.

From what I see there are no grounds to disable it on the grounds of danger and/or risk. It's on a public footpath that happens to cross a dual carriageway. The argument about people loitering in the central reservation is specious, in as much as any pedestrian crossing that road and standing in the safe area between the barriers while waiting for a gap in the traffic would appear to any passing driver to be 'loitering', the alternative would be that they appear to be throwing themselves into the path of the oncoming vehicle. However if the reviewers were to ask for evidence of permission being granted by the landowner then it's not going to be forthcoming as permission will never be granted by the highways agency; add to that the fact that it doesn't sound like a particularly good place for a cache (though I could be wrong as I've never been there), and it might be time to let it go.

This seems spot on to me.

Reading some of the logs here, I'm amazed that you're splitting hairs over procedure when it's very clear most people who did it felt scared and didn't enjoy it.

What would it take for you to put your ego to one side and admit this was a bad idea for a cache - somebody getting killed doing it?

Good call, Reviewer.