letterbox stamp taken/stone mountain, GA

FloridaFour

Hi there..

I need help finding geocachers who may go by the name The Mooney Clan. Today a friend reported to me that a letterbox called Mystical Beast had its stamp taken by mistake, and The Mooney Clan wrote in the logbook today that they took the stamp. I typed in The Mooney clan, and can't find them.

The Mystical Beast letterbox is in Stone Mountain, GA. I'm not at a computer so I don't have any idea of the coords, but maybe someone here can help me find these cachers? The stamp was hand carved and a very good one.

Does anyone know if there is a geo name search?

Thanks

FloridaFour

Hi there..

I need help finding geocachers who may go by the name The Mooney Clan. Today a friend reported to me that a letterbox called Mystical Beast had its stamp taken by mistake, and The Mooney Clan wrote in the logbook today that they took the stamp. I typed in The Mooney clan, and can't find them.

The Mystical Beast letterbox is in Stone Mountain, GA. I'm not at a computer so I don't have any idea of the coords, but maybe someone here can help me find these cachers? The stamp was hand carved and a very good one.

Thanks

FloridaFour

There isn't a letterbox listed as The Mystical Beast at Stone Mountain or nearby on geocaching.com. I can not find the geonick you mentioned either.

Yes, there is a geonick search on your profile page under 'find another player' link.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Hi there..

Thanks

FloridaFour

The existence of a geonick search has already been mentioned. However, geocachers will sometimes place underscore characters or hyphens between words in a name, or the words may be strung together without spaces. Geonick searches are not case sensitive, thankfully.

Here's one letterbox cache at Stone Mountain: Letterbox at Stone Mountain park GC3F5BT

There has never been a letterbox cache with a name similar to Mystical Beast within 47.5 miles of Letterbox at Stone Mountain park listed on the geocaching.com web site. I have looked at both active and archived caches within the 47.5 mile radius (I have reviewer tools to do this) so the information given to you is not correct.

I'm not sure why you'd think that the folks who took the stamp were geocachers?

Sometimes it's just people who find them.

You can use www.geocaching.com/find/ to look for profiles You can enter just part of a name and you'll get an alphabetical list. There are a bunch of mooneys (no The Mooney..) - mostly not ever having found anything, or logged on in years

Oddly, not only is there no Geocaching.com listed hybrid, there's nothing on Letterboxing by that name either. Sure are ton of letterboxes on Stone Mountain.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

Hi there..

Thanks

FloridaFour

There has never been a letterbox cache with a name similar to Mystical Beast within 47.5 miles of Letterbox at Stone Mountain park listed on the geocaching.com web site. I have looked at both active and archived caches within the 47.5 mile radius (I have reviewer tools to do this) so the information given to you is not correct.

There are about 175 letterboxes in the park - They're listed on the letterboxing website.

Oddly, not only is there no Geocaching.com listed hybrid, there's nothing on Letterboxing by that name either. Sure are ton of letterboxes on Stone Mountain.

I assume it's "Mythical Beast - Red Cap" listed on Atlasquest.com

I still think your best hope of finding the person is to watch who logs the nearby caches for the day it went missing.

Edited by RIclimber

Ok, please let me clarify. It is not a letterbox/geocache hybrid. It is a letterbox, which does not use coordinates. In letterboxing, we use clues to find our boxes, these boxes contain hand carved stamps.

Letterboxers would not take the stamp, and especially not take it and sidn their name.

Geocachers may, by mistake..if they don't know what a letterbox is, and think it is for trade, because a geocache may be very near, and they found the letterbox by mistake. This happens frequently.

Muggles don't usually sign their names when they take things.

It could be someone from Opencaching.com.

I could be completely wrong. It could be a muggle who signed their name. All I can do is investigate.

Please , I've been geocaching for two years, I am trying to help a friend, that is all.

Thank you to those that replied with name help. When I get home from work, I will try to find it. It is on the Mountain Trail.

Andrea

RIClimber....

Thanks for your reply and explanations. I saw red before I read your reply. Thanks!

Especially for the 175 letterboxes in the park part. :)

Yes, I think it is Mythical Beast- Red Cap. I will try to search logs of all the nearby caches since I've not really figured out the geoname yet. I hate contacting people ans asking them stuff, and getting such defensive replies.

Just trying to help. Not blaming anyone!

Bear with me ya'll... :)

OK, thanks everyone for giving me some ideas on what else to do.

I think the closest caches to this letterbox are probably Varmint on the Mount, and Just Another Bird Cache. I've put watches on both and will see if any names resembling "the Mooney Clan" show up, or if anyone mentions trading out a hand carved stamp. These are both on The Mountain Trail, and might be possibilities.

If they are from Opencaching, I give up. LOL. I really don't know how popular that website is, and it's going way beyond my attention span to try and figure it out just to find a letterbox stamp.

Sadly, it may be lost. It was a letterbox that had 82 finders in the last 5 years... at least it had a pretty good run.

RI Climber- I have no idea how you came up with this list:

ZoomerEtc

rosecachers

Skillet68

LoneButterfly **GC190V3**

tiehack

pe_teach

I did see a few of those names on these geocaches, though. I'd love to know how you searched for which geocachers logged on today. It might be useful to me in the future as people occasionally ask me to look for geocache listings, from the letterboxing site. Thanks! Andrea

OK, thanks everyone for giving me some ideas on what else to do.

I think the closest caches to this letterbox are probably Varmint on the Mount, and Just Another Bird Cache. I've put watches on both and will see if any names resembling "the Mooney Clan" show up, or if anyone mentions trading out a hand carved stamp. These are both on The Mountain Trail, and might be possibilities.

If they are from Opencaching, I give up. LOL. I really don't know how popular that website is, and it's going way beyond my attention span to try and figure it out just to find a letterbox stamp.

Sadly, it may be lost. It was a letterbox that had 82 finders in the last 5 years... at least it had a pretty good run.

RI Climber- I have no idea how you came up with this list:

ZoomerEtc

rosecachers

Skillet68

LoneButterfly **GC190V3**

tiehack

pe_teach

I did see a few of those names on these geocaches, though. I'd love to know how you searched for which geocachers logged on today. It might be useful to me in the future as people occasionally ask me to look for geocache listings, from the letterboxing site. Thanks! Andrea

I did a quick search of the area, sorted by last found. They were the names from the last 2-3 days. I don't know when the stamp was stolen so it might have been before them.

Some cachers trade the same items, the stamp might have been placed in another nearby cache, I once found a stamp in a cache about a mile away. we also have cachers who place store-bought stamps as trade items.

Ah, interesting way to search. Thanks! I doubt I wll find out anything, but since people often pass through Stone Mountain on vacation, it could be anyone, and a short window to try to save the letterbox. Oh well, that's the way it goes. I lost all six of my travel bugs in geocaching in a few months, so a five year old letterbox is pretty darn good.