Found unactivated geocoin (what do)

DanteBael

I found a geocoin in a cache in Lees Summit, MO, USA and when I checked the tracking number on the site it said it was "unactivated". what does this mean, and what should I do with it? (Also I apologize if this is in the wrong section, I wasnt sure where to put it)

Edited by DanteBael

The most common reason that this question comes up is that the alphanumeric tracking code has been read wrongly.

1 = L or I;

2 = Z;

3 = B;

5 = S;

8 = B;

0 = O or Q or even C(the easiest to get 'em wrong)

Gitchee-Gummee, if the site says the coin is unactivated, I believe a mistyping isn't the issue, but correct me if I'm wrong. If I mistype a tracking number I usually get a message that it's wrong and doesn't belong to any trackable.

I found a geocoin in a cache in Lees Summit, MO, USA and when I checked the tracking number on the site it said it was "unactivated". what does this mean, and what should I do with it? (Also I apologize if this is in the wrong section, I wasnt sure where to put it)

It's rare that a coin is left in a cache unactivated. That would make it a gift to whoever found it.

Let's do some checking before we assume it's unactivated: could you post the GC code of the cache where you found it?

B.

Let us proceed with caution here...

First, (and I know this sounds very obvious), double check that you're reading the tracking number correctly - it's very easy to misread Z/2 3/8 S/5 etc

If you're sure you've got it right and it's definitely coming up as "unactivated" when you enter the number into the site then the next thing I'd consider is whether it belongs to another cacher who has accidentally dropped it off in the cache without activating it. Read back through the last few logs... Has anyone mentioned anything about dropping off their coin to start travelling?

No?

Then I think you've struck lucky and you've found an extra nice bit of swag that's been left by a rather generous previous visitor.

You can keep it, and activate it to your account. As it's "swag" it would have been good if you had traded "up or even" for it but when you retrieved it you probably assumed it was an activated geocoin belonging to someone else and you took it to move it on its travels. To keep your karma nicely balanced it would be good if you could 'pay back' by dropping a few nice swag item in the next cache you find.

MrsB :)

I believe the code for the cache is GC37ATW. It was named "A long way from home" and I read over all the comments available and no mention of a geocoin being left. When I entered the code on the site it came up with the proper name and signifiers that were on the coin I had.

also incase I got the code wrong here is a link to the page

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=02dd1dd3-fa88-4938-ae3f-cce0a78510bb

Edited by DanteBael

The most common reason that this question comes up is that the alphanumeric tracking code has been read wrongly.

1 = L or I;

2 = Z;

3 = B;

5 = S;

8 = B;

0 = O or Q or even C(the easiest to get 'em wrong)

Gitchee-Gummee, if the site says the coin is unactivated, I believe a mistyping isn't the issue, but correct me if I'm wrong. If I mistype a tracking number I usually get a message that it's wrong and doesn't belong to any trackable.

Yes, and No.

Proper sequence of the first two characters but out-of-place for the remainder often yield a message as the OP received.

Have seen it happen -- both response types.

Usually in geocoins, the first two characters are the "trigger" as to what coin it is (rather, what it should be).

-----------------

@DanteBael:

You picked the 'coin up today.....

It is entirely possible that the person who placed the coin has not yet had an opportunity to log it. Some have to travel a distance to get to a log-in terminal. Then too, not all are "Johnny-on-the-spot" with their logging. Give them a few days and see if they do log it.

You are using a phone and usually have instant log opportunities. Many others do not.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee