Issues returning a faulty gps!

Just having a bit of a grumble - we purchased a Dakota 20 from Garmin and was initially happy with it until we realized we were unable to calibrate the compass, through email Garmin advised us to attempt a master reset but this still didnt help with the calibration, Garmin then advised us to send the unit back to them and they would issue us with a new one, great. But on receiving it and opening it there was a big sticker saying ' refurbished unit'so after having purchased a brand new unit we have been given a 'second hand' unit. And also spending £7 of my own money on postage. After a letter of complaint to Garmin it appears in their statements they are within their right to do this!! I have now sent a further letter saying im still not happy and also a receipt for them to pay my postage. I was just wondering what other peoples thought are on this matter, i have now gone months without geocaching because of this.

It is a standard practice with Garmin and many other electronics manufacturers to exchange a defective unit for a refurb. I've had several refurbed units from Garmin, as well as purchased other refurbed electronics devices. I've found refurbs to be every bit as good as new units. In fact they are often a bit better because every one is tested individually before it goes out the door. They don't do that with the stuff that comes off the production line.

Edited by briansnat

Agreeing with briansnat. I once returned a DeLorme gps for repair under warranty, got the unit back (fast both ways)as far as I could tell, completely unrepaired! no improvement at all.

I returned it again, and got refurb unit, which worked fine (for a while).

I had three new DeLorme PN40s that I returned as defective. On my 4th try I received a refurb which has been going strong for several ye

ars.

I own many Garmin GPSr units, including a Dakota 20, multiple Oregons, a Colorado, a Montana, and a nuvi. Only my Dakota and Montana are originals. The rest have all been replaced by Garmin at some point with refurbished units. All of my refurbished Garmins are still running strong and have lasted longer than the NEW units they replaced.

I would suggest you get outside and start enjoying your perfectly functional GPSr!!!

Edited by Atlas Cached

Almost every product I have sent in for warranty service or replacement I've paid shipping. GPS, backpack, camera, it doesn't matter. Paying shipping on a return is the norm, even with most online retailers. Just be glad they didn't ask you to send a check to cover the shipping on the replacement.

I also have almost always received refurbished units as a replacements. They are always as good as new.

Edited by yogazoo

I can understand some of the frustration.

They paid new price for a GPS, and when it quit working they got a Refurb GPS in return. Something they could have probably found and bought cheaper to begin with.

That is a bit annoying.

On the bright side though, refurb products do seem to have better quality control. Like others on here, I've had better luck on refurbs than new. It's a good way to save money up front too, if you can find and buy a refurbished product instead of brand new. It generally has the same warranty as new, but with a discounted price.

Garmin completely fulfilled their obligation under warranty:

All Garmin products are warranted to be free from defects in materials or workmanship for one year from the date of purchase. Within this period, Garmin International, Inc. will, at its sole option, repair or replace any components which fail in normal use. Such repairs or replacement will be made at no charge to the customer for parts or labor, provided that the customer shall be responsible for any transportation cost.

If they had simply repaired and returned your original GPS, that would still be a used unit, wouldn't it?

...I have now gone months without geocaching because of this.

Really? You first posted about this in July, and statistics tab on your GC profile shows steady activity all season. Are you really just grumbling about £7 postage?

Kinda reminds me of this unhappy customer:

Edited by user13371

Generally electronic manufacturers will replace with new within a specified period, anywhere from 7 to 30 days. After that it is common industry practice to replace with refurb units.

Cell phones go directly to the refurb route with no time period as a rule.

Time Warner is even worse - they issue refurb DVRs (the Scientific Atlanta units) to new customers by default. You have to take the box back to their office & tell them you want a new unit to get one that works properly with their current software (Samsung or another brand).

Well. I don't know how TW operates in other areas, but locally we rent cable boxes and TW DVRs instead of buy them. Last week I had to exchange at my TW Cable facility a failed box and came away with new one without a transfer of money. Consequently, I would hesitate to compare them to Garmin handheld GPSrs which are sold by Garmin, not rented.

Now that the subject of TW cable devices has been introduced, I might offer a more valid comparison as one to renting a car from Hertz or Enterprise. Having signed the rental agreement, I have never driven away with a new car, i.e., one with 000,000 miles on the odometer. It appears that the business practices of rental car companies are equivalent to those of TW Cable.

Garmin completely fulfilled their obligation under warranty:

All Garmin products are warranted to be free from defects in materials or workmanship for one year from the date of purchase. Within this period, Garmin International, Inc. will, at its sole option, repair or replace any components which fail in normal use. Such repairs or replacement will be made at no charge to the customer for parts or labor, provided that the customer shall be responsible for any transportation cost.

I agree totally. Acknowledging the Ts & Cs, when I anticipate any difficulty with a purchase not meeting my expectations, I do not purchase online. I go to a walk-in, B & M store, frequently Best Buy, where a brief conversation with a sales associate establishes an understanding that I may return it to the store for full refund on a no questions asked basis. In this manner, I do not have to call 800-867-5309 for an RMA, go to a UPS franchise and pay for transit, and then wait for a favorable outcome.

thank you to the majority of the comments on here it has made me understand things a little more and i get what your saying with regards to the refurbs undergoing more testing, I was just going with a gut feeling, id bought a new product and it felt like id been given back a second hand product. I feel there are a few comments on here that are abit harsh! I am certainly not a grumpy moany person, far from it! Yes i have been doing the odd bit of caching (on my partners phone)!! and yes i am miffed about having to pay for the postage!

thank you to the majority of the comments on here it has made me understand things a little more and i get what your saying with regards to the refurbs undergoing more testing, I was just going with a gut feeling, id bought a new product and it felt like id been given back a second hand product. I feel there are a few comments on here that are abit harsh! I am certainly not a grumpy moany person, far from it! Yes i have been doing the odd bit of caching (on my partners phone)!! and yes i am miffed about having to pay for the postage!

I have been know to seek out refurb when buying tools. Checked out, factory warranty and generally save a few buck. I've exchanged units with Garmin several times. I have always been fully satisfied with what I got in return.