Field notes & Garmin 62S

budbon

When I upload my field notes from my 62S to Geocaching.com, I go to the field note section under my profile. I see the new field note listed. Do I then have to "Compose a Log" or is it done automatically? If automatic, how do I edit comments?

I recently deleted over 100 logs. Are they recoverable?

Edited by budbon

I don't have the tools right now to draw a flow chart, but this is how it goes :

1. Press "Log cache" -> "Found it" (or DNF) on the GPSr will create a field note entry.

2. Field note entry gets appended to the end of existing file.

3. File can be uploaded to GC.com.

4. Press "compose a log" on the field notes will bring you to the log entry page

5. You should set your time zone correctly. If you're caching outside your time zone, you may need to temporarily change your time zone. The site didn't use to look up local time zone of the cache, but instead correct all UTC time in the field notes entry to your time zone setting. If this has changed, someone please correct me. If you don't want to change your time zone because you only have a few caches, just double check the date that was pre-filled for you in the log entry page.

6. You need to explicitly delete the file from your GPSr to clear old entries. Groundspeak can ignore old field notes entries, but it does not always work perfectly. If you prefer, you can also rename it from geocache_visits.txt to something else.

If you did not do step 6, the field notes are still there in your Garmin.

6. You need to explicitly delete the file from your GPSr to clear old entries. Groundspeak can ignore old field notes entries, but it does not always work perfectly. If you prefer, you can also rename it from geocache_visits.txt to something else.

I know it's always recommended to delete this file, but I haven't done so in ages and haven't had any problems whatsoever. I just checked, and I have 1395 entries in there going back to April 2011. I wonder what causes it to not work for some people?

I know it's always recommended to delete this file, but I haven't done so in ages and haven't had any problems whatsoever. I just checked, and I have 1395 entries in there going back to April 2011. I wonder what causes it to not work for some people?

The only problem I've encountered is that every once in a while, my "Ignore entries before <date>" becomes blank, and I'd need to delete a ton of old field notes entry after uploading. I haven't tried to figure out when this happens - might be a result of me not using field notes consistently.

There's another XML file that keeps track of log finds. I leave that one alone so that I can have a history of all finds using my GPSr.

Garmin's whole implementation of USB and USB Mass Storage Class has always seemed flaky to me. My Oregon 450 would occasionally refuse to start up (requiring me to do a factory reset), refuses to go into MSC mode when plugged in, all sorts of crappy behavior. It seems to help if I try not to confuse it too much. I was pretty annoyed at first, but I'm a lot more mellow now that I can use my phone as a backup.

Thanks everyone. I think I have finally got a handle on it - or maybe 1/2 a handle. When I looked on my profile page I see where in a couple of cases I double logged a fine. Any suggestions on how to delete one of the logs?

Edited by budbon

Thanks everyone. I think I have finally got a handle on it - or maybe 1/2 a handle. When I looked on my profile page I see where in a couple of cases I double logged a fine. Any suggestions on how to delete one of the logs?

From your profile page, click on "Visit Log" to go to the offending log entry. On the upper right corner of the block containing your log text, you should see 3 icons - a pencil (edit), an X (delete) and a picture frame (attach photo). Click on the X, confirm you really want to nuke it, and you're done.