Just starting out

Merlin1392

All,

I'm working on building my first cartridge and having trouble with the initial coordinates. I'm using a Garmin Oregon 450t to capture points to make my zones. The first coordinate is just outside the door to my house (I'm starting simple to grasp the concepts and build a more elaborate game later :-) The coordinates from my GPS read 42,29.295N & 083,55.149W. I enter these in decimal form into the cartridge, but it says I need to be 23.1 Miles to the SouthEast!

I have captured three exact coordinates in this fashion for my game, all in my backyard. Since I can't get it started, I can't play the game?

Advice?

I'm using the Wherigo Builder Application on a Windows7 computer, if that makes any difference. I also haven't checked into the other Earigo(sp?) since I'm not sure that's really running either.

Thanks for any help.

All,

I'm working on building my first cartridge and having trouble with the initial coordinates. I'm using a Garmin Oregon 450t to capture points to make my zones. The first coordinate is just outside the door to my house (I'm starting simple to grasp the concepts and build a more elaborate game later :-) The coordinates from my GPS read 42,29.295N & 083,55.149W. I enter these in decimal form into the cartridge, but it says I need to be 23.1 Miles to the SouthEast!

I have captured three exact coordinates in this fashion for my game, all in my backyard. Since I can't get it started, I can't play the game?

Advice?

I'm using the Wherigo Builder Application on a Windows7 computer, if that makes any difference. I also haven't checked into the other Earigo(sp?) since I'm not sure that's really running either.

Thanks for any help.

Make sure you double check the coordinates conversion, it can't be 23 miles away.

Also, make sure your zone is large enough for you to enter inside it. Less than 30 feet width can be hard to get inside it.

About the builder, try the Urwigo. I surrendered to it... and you can edit the zones in the map too or use DD MM.MMM if you wish...

Groundspeak's builder can also accept coordinates in the way geocaching.com and your GPSr display it. Within the Builder, go to File: Preferences. In the Units of Measure tab, change it to be "Degrees, Minutes.Minutes". Click Ok [sic] and you'll be good to go. (It's supposed to be "OK" and not "Ok".)

Also, if your computer is 64-bit (find out by going to Control Panel: System and look for the System Type section), please patch Groundspeak's builder with the file here. If you do not do this, you will not be able to open a cartridge you or anyone else created.

As for alternatives, quite a number of people in the community do use Urwigo. You'll be in for a learning curve either way. For a full list of Wherigo Builders, click the links in my signature line.

Welcome to the Groundspeak Forums, and Wherigo in particular! You'll find a supportive community here, ready to share helpful advice.