Waypoint question on Garmin 62S

vendeta2k

Greetings all, I just have a quick question on marking waypoints. Even after erasing all waypoint data several times and turning the unit on and off, my 62s insists on naming the first waypoint as #6....there are no waypoints #1-5 on the unit. Just curious why it will not let me create a waypoint #1? I'm still relatively new to the unit, so please go easy on me if its something i've easily overlooked!

Thanks!

Greetings all, I just have a quick question on marking waypoints. Even after erasing all waypoint data several times and turning the unit on and off, my 62s insists on naming the first waypoint as #6....there are no waypoints #1-5 on the unit. Just curious why it will not let me create a waypoint #1? I'm still relatively new to the unit, so please go easy on me if its something i've easily overlooked!

Thanks!

I believe there may be an internal counter that only a hard reset can return to 001.

Why not just name them as you save them?

@vendeta2k,

AC is on the right track. On newer models, "hard reset" is the only way to restart the counter. HOWEVER...

don't do that just yet. From where you are in the count, it would be much easier to just "save and edit" (to 001,002,003,004,005) the next few (5)waypoints you save, then let the counter take over from there. The counter will still be wanting to name a "next" wpt as 006. When you "Name" a wpt , the unit doesn't "use up or count" that sequence number.

Doing it that way ,you won't have to go back through and re-do all your settings. Further along in the count, it's kinda 6 of one vs half dozen of another.

Older models you could restart the count several ways, but not now. There is whole lot more to the numbering system than is understood.

@TP & AC,

Here's a puzzle for you. My 78S is similar to the OPs 62. How can I be sitting here with numerous waypoints on my unit with this condition......wpts are of both numbered and named variety, and on Wapoint Mgr list the list starts with 001,then 073 , then 091,then "named" variety . But here is the kicker......when I press "mark" the unit tells me that the next wpt (in the normal numbering sequence) will be named "001". No renaming and no resets have been done.

Do you understand how that is not only possible but normal? Also that I can have multiple "001"s (or other numbers) without any of them being remamed?

Edited by Grasscatcher
@TP & AC,

Here's a puzzle for you. My 78S is similar to the OPs 62. How can I be sitting here with numerous waypoints on my unit with this condition......wpts are of both numbered and named variety, and on Wapoint Mgr list the list starts with 001,then 073 , then 091,then "named" variety . But here is the kicker......when I press "mark" the unit tells me that the next wpt (in the normal numbering sequence) will be named "001". No renaming and no resets have been done.

Do you understand how that is not only possible but normal? Also that I can have multiple "001"s (or other numbers) without any of them being remamed?

No, I do not understand how/why that is, without having access to your waypoints with identical names. Is the GPSr amending file names with hidden characters?

@TP & AC,

No, I do not understand how/why that is, without having access to your waypoints with identical names. Is the GPSr amending file names with hidden characters?

No

Do you have an explanation, or are you asking for one?

I already know how it happens. After all, it's on the unit right in front of me. I created it and could duplicate it.

I'm trying to get you/others to figure out how it happens / is created, so that when you see it, you understand what you're seeing.

That's (probably) also the reason (at least explains) why users can no longer (are no longer allowed to) restart the waypoint counter except by hard reset.

All right, I like a good puzzle... I'll have to give this one some thought....

Well, that didn't take long to figure out (just long enough to boot up my Montana).

That functionality was added in a pretty recent firmware, but until now I had not realized it would allow for identically named waypoints.

Thank you for pointing this out, Grasscatcher!

Edited by Atlas Cached

My guess is that you have them in different GPX files. The autonumbering probably only happens in the GPX file that is created when you add a Waypoint on the GPS itself (as opposed to copying or importing GPX files from another source).

Edited by alandb

@alandb is correct in what he posted.

Not a result of recent firmware update that I'm aware of. More a result of the new "file structure" of newer units.

What about wirelessly sending different wpts of the same name (from 2 additional units) to a third unit that already has a wpt of that number?

Where do they all go and how are they named?

Just think of all the sources of waypoints....multiple gpx files in internal memory, multiple gpx files on the card, multiple wpts wirelessly sent from different units , etc

What all this is saying , is that a user better devise a very unique naming system.

ie..."ferget" numbering systems.......and now back full loop to part of AC's post....just uniquely name them as you go.

....or, as Paul Harvey would say....that's the "Rest of the Story"

Edited by Grasscatcher

Certainly makes sense that with multiple GPX files loaded, each may contain like named waypoints (etc), and the Montana must have a method of indexing and displaying all loaded waypoints (etc).

I ran a simple test before posting my previous reply to see if my GPSr would allow me to save multiple waypoints with identical names (Try that in BaseCamp), and I was able to do so. When selecting Track Manager to view my newly created waypoints, all with the same name, my GPSr differentiated between them by displaying the time stamp for each like named waypoint. While waypoint creation date/time information has always been available within each waypoint GPX file, Garmin only recently updated their GPSr units to display this information when viewing waypoints (etc) on the GPSr.

When I examined my GPSr\Garmin\GPX\ directory after, I discovered that all of my like named waypoints were in fact stored in a single GPX file, named Waypoints_01-DEC-12.gpx, thus I concluded the behavior in question could not be because each waypoint was stored in a separate GPX file.

It was my conclusion that the GPSr was using unique creation date/time information to differentiate between like named waypoints (etc).

292s.png

Edited by Atlas Cached

Yep, but you cheated by renaming....right?

I saved each with the same name as I created them. I thought we were trying to determine how the GPSr differentiates like named waypoints?

now send some wirelessly, from another unit, and see the results.....

....no time stamp.....and see where they get put/saved....

different, huh!....not the daily wpt file

I attempted this with my Montana, but the Wireless sharing feature has been inoperative for a very long time (See Bugs 14 and 15).

So, I fired up my Oregon 550t and 450 to complete the task, creating five identically named waypoints and sending them to the other device wirelessly.

They are each stored as individual waypoints ('1.gpx', '2.gpx', '3.gpx', etc) because they are received externally, as opposed to created internally.

Further more, When I reviewed the freshly created waypoints on each GPSr, each waypoint contained identical information, including creation date and time.

As such, I am unable to duplicate your results.

NO renaming.....your unit was going to save as XXX but you renamed as "001"...

"inoperative for a very long time(see bug 14 & 15)"is BS.....I just wirelessly sent wpts (successfully) from Montana to Oregon 550

Quote... "Further more, When I reviewed the freshly created waypoints on each GPSr, each waypoint contained identical information, including creation date and time."

.....but not on the receiving unit (if Montana)...it doesn't display date /time on "Wpt mgr" list for wirelessly sent points.

Knowing all the info in the posts above, the solution is still the same......a unique naming procedure is required.

Quote... "Further more, When I reviewed the freshly created waypoints on each GPSr, each waypoint contained identical information, including creation date and time."

.....but not on the receiving unit (if Montana)...it doesn't display date /time on "Wpt mgr" list for wirelessly sent points.

The information is present for each waypoint in the waypoint manager list on both Oregon 450 and 550t, regardless of which unit created, sent, or received each waypoint.

450vs550twaypoints.png

As I stated, my Montana 650 has had issues with Wireless data sharing for nearly a year now, and it is very well documented.

Edited by Atlas Cached