Embarrassing Caching Stories

Maconb

I am sharing this story because it is kinda funny. My first actual trip I took caching was in a college town near home. There is a good sized walking trail with quite a few caches and quite a few jogs and the like. I walk of the trail into the woods to find the cache. I made the find and signed the log while at gz. Before I stepped out of the woods. A female jogger decided this would be a good time to stop, stretch and send a few text. So there she is bending and stretching within 30' feet of me. She never saw me and I sure as heck didn't move. I felt like such a creeper but I didn't wanna walk out of the woods and scare the girl to death. Finally after about a minute that felt like 30 she jogged off.

Whats your embarrassing caching story?

A buddy and I were caching just off a trail. I found the cache so I was kneeling down opening it and he was standing in front of me waiting to take the logbook. I look towards the trail and noticed some folks watching us with a concerned look.

We're just caching! I swear!

bd

Edited by BlueDeuce

A buddy and I were caching just off a trail. I found the cache so I was kneeling down opening it and he was standing in front of me waiting to take the logbook. I look towards the trail and noticed some folks watching us with a concerned look.

bd

Saturday TV Funhouse. TV Funhouse.... LOL :lol:

I once found a nicely camouflaged cache. It was right up there with any of the caches in the CCC thread. But when I replaced it, the camouflage fell apart in my hands. I felt like I had just destroyed a work of art.

It eventually turned out okay. I couldn't figure out how to rehide the container anywhere nearby without the camouflage, and the camouflage wouldn't be effective in its current condition. So I took all the pieces with me and used my phone to post an immediate NM log and to send the CO email. I got the pieces back to the CO, who repaired the camouflage (and adjusted the design to prevent similar mishaps in the future). But at the time... :shocked: ... :cry:

Several years ago I was attending a conference in Rome. I had a few travel bugs I wanted to drop in a cache but, at the time, there were very few caches bigger than a micro but I saw a listing for one about 3/4 of a mile from the meeting venue and I had a free hour after lunch so I went off it search for it. Since I had presented at the conference I was dressed in business casual and had to bring my laptop (in a backpack) with me. The cache listing had a comment, in bold, about not trying to access the from above as some people had been climbing over, and damaging a wire fence near the cache location. I got to the bottom of the hill and saw that it wasn't going to be an easy climb. It was fairly steep (to the point that I had to hold onto to some small bushes to make my way up), with fairly thick brush, and covered in slippery leaves. I finally made it to the cache, signed the log, dropped in the tbs, traded a couple of items for an Italian Forestry Service lanyard, closed up the cache and re-hid it. Then I got up and moved about 2' when I heard someone calling to me in Italian. I said I didn't speak Italian and he said, "if you come over this way, there is a fence that you can climb over". So, despite the warning on the cache listing, I made my way over the fence without trying to cause any damage. The guy never asked what I was doing in the bushes, but he was kinda giving me a funny look. I imagine it looked pretty strange to see an American dressed in business attire and carrying a laptop backpack coming out of the bushes. I sat down, feigning that I needed to catch my breath, and waited for he, and his dog, to continue down the path. Then I pulled all the twigs out my hair and went back to me meetings.

bd

Saturday TV Funhouse. TV Funhouse.... LOL :lol:

ROFL!!! It took me a while to remember where that jingle came from. :P

Found a black magnetic nano and was pleased with myself for finding it quickly especially as it was night. Immediately dropped the lid into the prickles. Was down on my hands and knees with a flashlight, scratches and dirt all over my hands and arms, digging around in the prickles while people walked by. The cache was hidden in an alley and there was a dead rat not far from the cache. A little old lady drives up and asks if I need help. She parks and gets out with a tiny flashlight and stands there with her flashlight so I could see better. I never did tell her exactly what I was looking for. After about 20 minutes I gave up. Emailed the cache owner who was very understanding and replaced it right away.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

I am sharing this story because it is kinda funny. My first actual trip I took caching was in a college town near home. There is a good sized walking trail with quite a few caches and quite a few jogs and the like. I walk of the trail into the woods to find the cache. I made the find and signed the log while at gz. Before I stepped out of the woods. A female jogger decided this would be a good time to stop, stretch and send a few text. So there she is bending and stretching within 30' feet of me. She never saw me and I sure as heck didn't move. I felt like such a creeper but I didn't wanna walk out of the woods and scare the girl to death. Finally after about a minute that felt like 30 she jogged off.

Whats your embarrassing caching story?

Well, it was kind of like that. Imagine a trail, 30' of flat bushy area next to it, then a 30' high hill with a cache on top. I'm getting ready to come back down the hill when I hear someone coming down the trail. I decide to be quiet and let them go by when this lady heads behind the bushes, drops her drawers to answer a call, not on her cell phone.

Searching for a geocache (micro cache hanging in a large bush..) crawled around in there for like 20 minutes before finding it. My clothes all dirty, branches in my hair.. I crawled out without knowing someone was just walking by...

... it was my boss. :ph34r: I explained to him what geocaching was the week after.

What are the odds :rolleyes:

Over the summer I went on a road trip to the upper midwest with my dad. I had about 30 some odd finds at the time and the goal was to reach 50 within the first couple days (we did). At an oasis in Illinois, we went after a guard rail cache along the side of the entrance ramp to get back on the tollroad. I was looking around for the container when my dad shoved his finger up a drain pipe looking for a cache. Yeah, he found something alright. A group of angry wasps flooded out of the cache as I quickly found the container and got out of there! We had to wait ten minutes to put the film canister back and my dad was the only one to get stung. Nothing odd since then.

Not me, but a friend of mine caused a bit of a ruckus when the final coords for a multi took us to a bush on the side of a sidewalk, so my friend awkwardly volunteered to get down and reach under the bush while people were going by. Best part? The coords were wrong so there wasn't even a cache for all that effort! :laughing:

My understanding btw is that this cache leads to many a potentially embarassing caching story- http://coord.info/GCGX5D Won't say much to give it away but someone who reads logs and looks at pictures carefully might guess why :ph34r:

here is another one.. a few years ago I was out caching with another male friend we are like 40

but super funny and crasy kinds of dudes,

the cache is under a walking path near a train station, it is night, dark, but nice and warm,

while we crawl arround under the wood path to find the cache some folks walk on top of it,

they seee our lights and start talking about those wierd things males do anywhere anytime,

we overhear them and start really loud : oh oh ya ya more yes..

they run away, we laugh so much, and find the cache..

Searching for a geocache (micro cache hanging in a large bush..) crawled around in there for like 20 minutes before finding it. My clothes all dirty, branches in my hair.. I crawled out without knowing someone was just walking by...

... it was my boss. :ph34r: I explained to him what geocaching was the week after.

At least it wasn't on a day when you were "going to an offsite meeting" or had called in sick. :unsure:

I was seeking out a trio of caches in some brush. I had found the first pair, but was called upon by nature to have a quick relief break. Just as I was in mid piddle a sheriffs car pulls up in a nearby lane (which I didn't see from the brush) and I hastily aborted the mission and closed up shop, just as a female deputy stepped from the car to ask if I knew anything about was was going on out on the main street nearby. From her smirk she knew she had caught me in the midst of some rather personal business, but with a straight face I mustered a response I was totally unaware of it. Lesson learned, go further into the brush next time.

Edited by DragonsWest

We were looking for a cache in a little wooded area in a neighbourhood. GZ brought us to a large tree on a trail that ran along the top of a gulley. It was a large tree with no low branches and there was no sign of a cache. We had no luck so we went back that evening with our daughter Tasha, her husband George and our grandsons Jake & Ben (geocachers). After some time, Tasha noticed that there seemed to be something in a small hole in the tree about 15 feet or more up the tree. George volunteered to go up but we refused as there was nothing to hold on to to get up there. Jake located a long branch which we used to dislodge the film canister in the hole. We signed the log and then wondered how we would get the cache back into the hole in the tree.

We noticed that there was a magnet attached to the end of the film canister. How would that help? MA said that there was also a magnet on her purse to keep it closed. The purse had a long strap, so we tied it to the top of the branch and attached the cache to the purse. George then raised the branch up above his head. The weight of the purse had the branch swinging from side to side. At this point we noticed through the trees that a man was standing at his patio door watching us. George kept swinging that purse back and forth. He eventually got it to stop at the hole. He positioned the cache at the hole and pushed it in. He slid the purse down the tree and the cache remained in place.

We glanced at the man at the patio door, and headed back through the woods to our car.

PA

Not too embarrassing for me but....

I was caching in a nature preserve. During the weekdays it does not get many visitors. I had just replaced the cache and was off the trail by 15 feet or so and was leaning up against a tree looking at my GPS for the route I would take to the cache when I heard someone coming up the hill below me on the trail. It had started as very cool morning, but had warmed up quickly. A very attractive woman is hiking up the trail and stops near the top of the hill about 30 feet from me. She clearly did not see me, because stopped and pulled off her fleece and proceeded to remove her sweatshirt which she had nothing on underneath. She then replaced her fleece, tied the sweatshirt around her waste and started to hike again. At that time, I said, "hello". She turned bright red and I'm sure I did as well. She just paused.... and said, "Isn't it a beautiful morning?" I just smiled and said, "Yes, yes it is!" :blink:

Early on I was caching about 40 miles from home one day and when I bent over I heard a big riiiiiip. Yep my pants had given way in the back. I wasn't going to let that send me home early. So after the find I pulled up the nearest sport store and got a nice new pair of hiking pants.

Last February we were caching on this great granite outcropping on the side of a mountain. Well it was really cold and there was plenty of ice. My friends were being all crazy and I was just doing mild rock climbing. I thought I was in a pretty good spot just standing but I put too much weight on my right foot which had a small patch of ice under it. I took a semi sharp piece of granite to my backside. Luckily I wasn't too high and I didn't break anything, well other than a rip in my pants and little blood from a small cut.

I was caching in a nature preserve. During the weekdays it does not get many visitors. I had just replaced the cache and was off the trail by 15 feet or so and was leaning up against a tree looking at my GPS for the route I would take to the cache when I heard someone coming up the hill below me on the trail. It had started as very cool morning, but had warmed up quickly. A very attractive woman is hiking up the trail and stops near the top of the hill about 30 feet from me. She clearly did not see me, because stopped and pulled off her fleece and proceeded to remove her sweatshirt which she had nothing on underneath. She then replaced her fleece, tied the sweatshirt around her waste and started to hike again. At that time, I said, "hello". She turned bright red and I'm sure I did as well. She just paused.... and said, "Isn't it a beautiful morning?" I just smiled and said, "Yes, yes it is!" :blink:

That's a good one.

Off the beaten track nr eildons in Scottish Borders, I was scrambling through bushes as shortcut to a track I could see on my gps. Saw a lady in hiking clothes sitting down. My eyes aren't that good without my glasses, I thought I'd say hello on passing. It was only when she angrily said 'look the other way' I realised she had her knickers down and was involved in toilet activities.

Hmm. If I use the gents outdoors, I always make sure there are no geocachers in nearby bushes...... She should have been more careful!

It was getting dark when I found that cache but still possible to make photos. The container was located at the seashore at a steep rocky slope so I had to descend a meter and half from the nearby greenery towards water. Thus, only my head and shoulders were visible from the shore. I grabbed the container and thought it was a good idea to take a photo of it and the surroundings. I placed the container carefully at the very edge of the nearest stone for better composition and took out my camera when a dog approached. I tried to pat the lovely creature hoping that it will go away after that. I found myself in a very awkward position with my camera in one hand, using my foot to keep the container from rolling down the slope into the sea. Then a dog owner appeared wondering what was her pet doing at that dangerous slope. I had to twist my body so the kind lady could not see the geocache from above, safeguarding the container by one foot, patting the dog, raising my camera high so it doesn't get new scratches from sharp rocks and talking with the lady about photos and dogs. The most difficult task was to keep my balance so I was happy when she called her dog and they both went away. Under any other circumstances I would love to talk more but...

Here is a story that i tell often. I think it embarrasses MA a little.

PAul

A few years ago, we were caching in the south end of Ottawa, mostly on urban trails. Near the end of the day, we parked the car in order to walk to a couple of caches on a trail that went into a wooded area.

The last cache was about a km from the car. The gps pointed into a bunch of trees in a depression next to the trail. The branches seemed thick so I volunteered to go down to see if I could find it. When I finally found it, I yelled that I had it. I glanced to the trail and MA was not there. I went though the cache, signed the log and put everything back in place. Still no sign of MA. I worked my way through the branches and back to the trail.

I glanced down the trail and spotted MA a long way off, on her way back to the car. I hurried as fast as I could to catch up to her. When I caught up I asked if everything was OK.

She replied:

"I saw something big and black heading into the woods. I think it was a bear."

A couple of years ago we were having trouble finding a particular cache, and dnf'd it 3 times, with several "easy finds" between our attempts.

So, we swallowed our pride and asked the CO for a hint, which we got, and it was obvious where the cache was.

So, two friends of ours had never been caching, so we, the old hands, offered to take them out for an afternoon of caching. We decided we would take them to the aforementioned cache, because it would be easy, (after all, we knew where it was now) and we could impress them with our expertise.

NOT

Think we could find the darned "easy find on my way home from work" thing?

Boy, did we feel foolish! :lol:

Turns out the darned thing really WAS missing this time, but that didn't help us at the time!

I live in a remote area and 99 percent of the time no one is around. However, caching in town is another matter. I was in a larger city and in a large parking log. There was a lone pine tree along the street. I always carry caches with me so I picked out a microcache and walked over to the tree. I was looking among the branches for a place to put it when I saw something out of the corner of my eye. I turned around to see a small boy looking up at me.

"What are you doing" he said.

Thinking quickly I said "Getting pine cones".

With a puzzled look he said, "Gee, there are plenty right here on and ground. Why don't you just get those?". Then he whirled around and ran off to his mother.

It was getting dark when I found that cache but still possible to make photos. The container was located at the seashore at a steep rocky slope so I had to descend a meter and half from the nearby greenery towards water. Thus, only my head and shoulders were visible from the shore. I grabbed the container and thought it was a good idea to take a photo of it and the surroundings. I placed the container carefully at the very edge of the nearest stone for better composition and took out my camera when a dog approached. I tried to pat the lovely creature hoping that it will go away after that. I found myself in a very awkward position with my camera in one hand, using my foot to keep the container from rolling down the slope into the sea. Then a dog owner appeared wondering what was her pet doing at that dangerous slope. I had to twist my body so the kind lady could not see the geocache from above, safeguarding the container by one foot, patting the dog, raising my camera high so it doesn't get new scratches from sharp rocks and talking with the lady about photos and dogs. The most difficult task was to keep my balance so I was happy when she called her dog and they both went away. Under any other circumstances I would love to talk more but...

Did you get the shot? :D

Being a disaster I have a few to share! 2 of my more memorable caching incidents (posting copies of the logs I left) are...

1 - One day I think I will bring out a book about my epic exploits whilst caching!

Popped out for some fresh air and thought I would wander along to M&S and maybe check if I can move on any TBs whilst there. Busy looking at my phone as I near GZ when a branch that is overhanging the grassy area relieves me of my glasses! I now can barely see my hand in front of my face and being short sighted it starts to dawn on me that I am in a whole world of trouble now...

I start carefully feeling around the grass and leaves near me (luckily missing the dog/fox poo), but cannot initially find anything. I put my newspaper on the floor and kneel on it (I am dressed in a suit). I go from side to side and backwards and forwards...but nothing.

In desperation I carefuly and very sloooowly shuffle my way to the car park. There is a man in a van on his laptop. I ask him to help me - he eyes me with suspicion (I dont blame him). He eventually comes out of his van and starts to help me look. 20 minutes have now elapsed but no joy and the light is failing.

I thank him and decide to go back to work to get my car keys (0.5 miles away) which I manage to do without walking into anything or getting run over! then a 0.8 mile walk to where I have parked the car. Luckily I keep contact lenses in my car for playing footy so was able to put some in using my muddy fingers and at least I can now see!

I then drove to the services, parked up and then using a torch scoured the area in the vain hope of finding my glasses. Somehow they had got catapulted forwards and were actually really close to the cache and still in one piece! It was such a relief to have my eyes back again :)

Took the GC and TB in the cache. When I got back to work my colleagues all thought it was hilarious. My Wife however looked at me disapprovingly and reminded me how I have said many a time (after getting into pickles) that I would not cache on way/during/after work ;( I will never learn. God I love caching!!!

and...

2 - When will I EVER learn? Was in Woking today for work. Initially intended to go to McDonalds for breakfast but then decided as I was early there was time for a quick cache on the way. Managed to go down the wrong road to get to this cache. No problem, I will just turn round in this little mud parking area that leads to the common I thought. Thats when my troubles began...

Managed to get the car stuck. What looked like a small puddle was actually a huge hole! As the car wheelspun trying to go forwards after I had reversed in, the wheels dug themselves deeper and deeper till only half the front wheels could be viewed! Car got beached, there I am stood in my suit, using sticks from the woods to try and dig the car out. Got my rear car mats out and stuck them under the wheels to try and give traction but no joy. Ended up calling the RAC (who told me I might have to pay for specialist lifting equipment if they cant tow me out).

Thank you to the lady dog walker who took pity on me and kindly drove off and came back with a cup of tea and mars bar for me what a lovely gesture.

RAC man turned up and luckily was an easy tow out for him. Got to work late and so muddy had to take my shoes off and wash them in the sink! Car looked like I had been rallying it was covered in mud!

So thanks for the cache! ;) Next time I attempt it I will be on my bike to be on the safe side lol

My wife was going to a craft show with her mother so it gave me the whole day to go caching. I woke up at 4:30 and was on my way. I stopped at a McDonald's for a gut grenade and passed by two cops parked on the side of the road. They promptly pulled me over and informed me that one of my tail lights was out. Took both cars to do that. So no ticket and I'm off. I had plans to drive towards the beach and to eat at my favorite sub/pizza place where I always stop when on vacation and there was a cache in that parking lot. Before I got there I get to this little town that has quite a few caches in a tight little area that I could park at one spot and grab 'em all. Well there is a lot of traffic and the road is blocked off. Wouldn't you know it I was in the middle of a Christmas parade. So no caches there. I finally got to my favorite restaurant to find that on Saturday Dec. 1st they would be closed until after Christmas. I was there on Saturday Dec. 1st. I was so mad not to mention I came across a nano, while opening it to sign the log I saw that there was no log in it. So I made a new log sheet for it folded it up and rolled it, cut it several times to get it to fit. I made it work with my cramped fingers and empty stomach. Then I remembered the tail light and had to make it back home before dark so I wouldn't run into any more trouble.

I was caching in a forest preserve that was about 2 miles square. Paved bike trail around the perimeter, but only deer paths in the interior. Significant bushwhacking. Large creek and several marshes that divide the park into two halves. Looooong day of caching and bushwhacking which included a 19-cache series where you get the coordinates of #19 after collecting all the prior 18. It's late in the day with not a lot of sunlight left and the coordinates to #19 point to 1/2 mile away, on the other side of the creek. It's 28 degrees outside and I have ankle high hiking boots, so wading is not an option. Walking around would be almost a 2 mile hike and we have already hiked 9 miles that day over difficult terrain and I'm tired. I look for a fallen log to cross the creek.

I find a likely suspect that's about 6" diameter and half submerged. I also have my mostly-white dog with me so I'm trying to decide on whether to make the looong hike around (2 miles) and possibly run out of sunlight before we finish vs crossing on the log. There's no hope of balancing on the log while carrying a squirming dog so I edge out on the log a couple feet and with my hiking stick I'm testing the depth of the water and the underlying creek mud underneath to judge if I should just try to let the dog wade across and deal with the repercussions from the Mrs when I arrive home with a mostly white dog with black legs. So I'm pondering all these variables with the GPS taunting me by pointing straight across and saying .5 miles.

Reason finally wins out and I decide to head north and see if I can find a bigger/better log. If I can't, we'll just continue 1.5 miles back to the car and come back another day for the final. I turn to look up the creek and I see a foot bridge just 50 yards further up. The brush was too heavy to see it from the shore but quite easy to see from out in the middle of the creek. And there were two other hikers standing on the bridge wondering why this idiot was bouncing on a small and rather shaky log over a muddy and freezing creek, preparing to drag his white dog through the muck, just 50 yards from a perfectly good bridge. To add insult to injury, he only had a compass but noticed my GPS. "That gizmo didn't tell you there was a bridge here?"

After successfully, dealing with a cache, I came home to discover that my house keys were missing. I went through my bag, the car etc and panicked, before driving all the way back to the cache - a good 40min each way and scrambling over the entire area, reopening the cache, overturnng every rock and checking in bushes etc in the night, with no success.

Finally it fell out of shirt pocket.

It was late one night and a new cache popped up so I ran out and drove over with my pajamas and bare feet. I figured it was late and no one would be there. Wrong! there were two other cachers there searching.

BTW I found the cache and shared the FTF, then went home and back to sleep. Oh about the bare feet, I kept an extra pair of shoes in the car if I had to wear something.

After successfully, dealing with a cache, I came home to discover that my house keys were missing. I went through my bag, the car etc and panicked, before driving all the way back to the cache - a good 40min each way and scrambling over the entire area, reopening the cache, overturnng every rock and checking in bushes etc in the night, with no success.

:laughing: Sounds familiar. :rolleyes:

A classic example of finding something that you hid yourself.

I guess I couldn't have resisted to add "yes, and the scenery isn't bad either."

Went to a big CITO event in Seattle's Discovery Park. We were assigned a good length of beach to gather trash from. Someone found the big prize: a huge chunk of a wrecked fishing boat. it was probably 10 feet long and 4 feet wide. The rangers said they'd like to get it off the beach, so we all gathered around to carry it up to the road so they could haul it away. It was heavy, even with 20 people carrying it. We got it where it needed to be, and put it down. In the last 2 feet of its descent, a bolt head snagged my jeans and ripped them severely. The tear was large, about where the right front pocket is. Luckily, it didn't catch on any skin.

Half the people there needed to get photos of the damage. Only a couple insisted on posting them to the cache page. http://www.geocachin...0f-9a9a0ef1a304

This from a friends log in 2007.

Here's a way to be stealthy when doing this one: drive a longbed low-slung pickup onto the street, then decide there really is no way to park without blocking the street, then decide to turn around in a too narrow space, and the rear wheels go over the edge of the road, and now you're REALLY blocking the road. The upside is that you can go about, looking for the cache whilst waiting for AAA to come haul you out of there. There are probably better ways to be stealthy, but this makes a better story. TNLN TFTC

View Log

I climbed a tree to get a geocache (actually a Terracache) with a nice view. I tried to pop the lid off the decon like normal, but only the lip of the container came off...and went sailing off into the scrub below. The rest of the lid stayed closed. Needless to say it's impossible to pop all four corners of a decon lid shut when only 2 corners remain.