I need some help with placing a cache

tomjuggles

Hello,

I hav tried to place a cache, but received an info from the reviewer that it was placed too close to another cache. I was not aware that my cache (simple traditional box) needed to be distanced from each waypoint of any other cache, so didn't observe the distance to a parking place for another multistage.

After learning that not only the final need to be distanced from the next final, I tried annother place which showed a sufficient distance to the next cache according to my GPS.

Yet, I received another reviewer comment that it again was too close to another waypoint.

Now I am at a loss:

Do I seriously need to solve all surrounding multistages to learn wher a waypoint is located prior to placing my cache? Obviously, checking my current position against the published waypoints of other caches is not good enough.

Is there any other way checking the distance of my cache against all surrounding waypoints than actually solving each and every cache in the vicinity?

Unfortunately, the reviewer to whom I asked this question doesn't respond any more- it seems he can't be bothered with trivial questions such as this...

I've had this problem a couple times with multis.

In most cases, the reviewer will not give you much information as to how close you are to the point, or in what direction.

The solution I have used with 50/50 success was to get in contact with the owner of the multi. Most cases they will be very helpful in assisting you and will help you locate a safe area for your cache.

I said 50/50 success rate as I have run into no response when contacting the multi owners and one who insisted I complete their multi to obtain the info for myself. Most cases, the owner of the other cache will help you out.

Also, I was under the impression that a parking spot waypoint wouldn't block you. Aren't only the waypoints that have a physical part of the multi present that are at issue (a note, a tag, a tool)?

When reading the OP, I assumed the parking spot waypoint was the cache listed starting point.

If I am wrong, this does raise an interesting question.

To the OP, can you clarify the parking spot waypoint bit?

Yes, if I didn't read the description wrong: the place I was too close to was the parking lot of a multi stage.

But then again, considering the other posts:

It isn't too unlikely that the final of that very same multicache may be near the start, the coordinates not published... so: i still may be too close to the "real" final coordinates ;-)

Thanks for the brilliant hints I received!

All of that makes a lot of sense.

My first cache find dates back from the time when I went "hey, there's a cache in my city"- time and we wouldn't have dreamt of a time where you would have to obey DISTANCE RULES to avoid too dense cache spacing ;-)

Edited by tomjuggles

Yes, if I didn't read the description wrong: the place I was too close to was the parking lot of a multi stage.

But then again, considering the other posts:

It isn't too unlikely that the final of that very same multicache may be near the start, the coordinates not published... so: i still may be too close to the "real" final coordinates ;-)

Thanks for the brilliant hints I received!

All of that makes a lot of sense.

My first cache find dates back from the time when I went "hey, there's a cache in my city"- time and we wouldn't have dreamt of a time where you would have to obey DISTANCE RULES to avoid too dense cache spacing ;-)

That is becoming an issue inner city here as well.