Questions about the Garmin Fenix GPS Watch.

Sgt_Strider

So how accurate is the Fenix's GPS functionality? Is it as good as the Garmin 62s?

I know it doesn't have a whole lot of memory, but does it have enough space to record a .gpx track at every second for the day?

How does the iOS BaseCamp app work? I've read a little about the feature, but I don't see the point right now. Care to explain? Thx!

Not expandable ... Seriously? A state of the art (not) twenty first century (2012) wristwatch GPS and only 20mb usable memory?

Seriously? Do you know of any wrist-wearable GPS with more built-in (or expandable) memory? And Bluetooth? And ant+? And a companion smartphone app?

I think this is marketed more for hikers and backbackers than cachers or GIS data collectors.

Edited by user13371
Not expandable ... Seriously? A state of the art (not) twenty first century (2012) wristwatch GPS and only 20mb usable memory?

Seriously? Do you know of any wrist-wearable GPS with more built-in (or expandable) memory? And Bluetooth? And ant+? And a companion smartphone app?

I think this is marketed more for hikers and backbackers than cachers or GIS data collectors.

Do you know of a GPS watch that caters more to cachers or GIS data collectors?

Given how cheap microSD cards are these days I'm surprised they didn't provide an option to fit one.

Given how cheap microSD cards are these days I'm surprised they didn't provide an option to fit one.
Think of a diver's watch, as Garmin made ithe Fenix waterproof to 50 meters. Now design a way for the user to insert or remove a data card without compromising the case seals.

Of course, the GPS won't work under at even a fraction of that depth, so I guess making it waterproof was a bad design choice too :lol:

Probably the best comparison to the Garmin Fenix would be the Suunto Ambit. A fine piece of gear for its intended use, but an equally poor choice for geocaching.

Edited by user13371
Think of a diver's watch, as Garmin made ithe Fenix waterproof to 50 meters. Now design a way for the user to insert or remove a data card without compromising the case seals.

Of course, the GPS won't work under at even a fraction of that depth, so I guess making it waterproof was a bad design choice too :lol:

Probably the best comparison to the Gaemin Fenix would be the Suunto Ambit. A fine piece of gear for its intended use, but an equally poor choice for geocaching.

Seems like one of those products (rather like the Sony Bloggie) that I look at and wonder just what it is intended for.