Category proposal: Places of fossil find

Dear Waymarkers,

I have searched a lot but I couldn't find a category that covers fossil sites (Site of the find).

I know some places like mammoth, plant and Marine animal fossils find sites and I think they could be a good addition to our category-grid.

What's your opinion?

Here some examples of find sites:

Fossil sites in Germany

A famous one

Regards

Thrandter

Edited by Tharandter

Hi,

it's not really that what I mean. I'm not looking for locations where you collect stone inclusions.

Rather I'd like to collect places where things was found. Such fossils like mammoths, dinosaurs, fossilized trees and so on.

Do you know the spot in Siegsdorf, where the great-elephant was found?

Siegsdorf Earthcache

Or this found at the Inn:

Elephant

Greetings

Tharandter

I LOVE this category idea. After searching and confirming there was no group for this category, I have set up a group called Fossil Finders . Looking for members!!

Take care,

Outspoken1

I've joined up. I was thinking we had no such sites in Australia when I recalled a tour through central & north western Queensland. Visited Winton where nearby Lark Quarry features a dinosaur stampede, Hughenden with its herbivores & Isisford with its Isisfordia Duncani, an early crocodile.

Hey everyone!!

We have worked together under the Fossil Finders group (which includes Tharandter, who initiated this discussion) and have just submitted a category entitled 'Paleontology and Fossils' to Peer Review. We used the guidance from this thread as well as several references on Paleontology. Please do consider this category and vote 'Yes'!!

Thanks so much,

The Fossil Finders group

The Fossil Finders group would like to thank the Waymarking community for approving the Paleontology and Fossils category. Some of the comments from the review were integrated into the category. Those include:

- Fixing grammatical errors (thanks for the reviews - typos and grammatical errors never show up until you hit the 'Submit' button!)

- Links added to the categories that deal with Archaeological artifacts.

-Any museum with fossil exhibits is accepted. This is the beauty of Waymarking - the 'beyond your home area' information. Here in Colorado, many fossils are outdoors, exposed and open to the public. There are many sites worldwide that have been moved into museums or universities for protection. Thus the change.

- Clarification that for fossil finds that have been removed (for instance, finds while undergoing construction of tunnels, buildings, reservoirs), the coordinates should be taken at the location of the original fins as close as one may safely take them.

- Question was raised is Petrified Wood would be accepted. If the area is significant, such as a Petrified Forest, then yes. If it is a small piece of petrified wood you find on a hike, no.

To answer a few concerns:

- Ancient human remains are fossilized - that is why they survived (For example, see "Oldest Human Fossils Found".)

- As mentioned above, the museum issue.

- 'Not disturbing fossil areas as they are protected by law.' This was mentioned in the original Waymark category. Any suggestions to make this clearer? Also, at least here in the USA, there are private fossil areas where paying visitors may collect fossils. So those are acceptable in the category. Was the distinction not clear enough? Suggestions, please. Same applies to 'hidden (as in protected) sites.' These should not be Waymarked.

As always, each category is a 'work in progress' as innovative and energetic Waymarkers find new items to be placed in Waymarks. Things may evolve slightly over the next few months. We strive to be inclusive of the recognition of Earth's ancient past.

Again, thank you so much for the 'Yea' votes to make this a new category!!

Sincerely,

The Fossil Finders group