Need help downloading osm's

I have a Dakota 20 I live in Georgia How do I download OSM for Ga. and surrounding states. I am not computer savy so I need all steps spelled out.

1) Go to Free maps for Garmin brand GPS devices

2) From the fourth pull-down list (Nth America) select Georgia

3) A couple of lines down enter your email address

4) Click on "Build my map"

5) You then need to wait for an email telling the map is ready for download. This may take minutes; hours or days depending on the load.

6) When the "map ready" email arrives it will have a link that takes you to a web page where you can download the map in various forms.

7) You can download a .EXE installer file which, when you run it, will install the map into Basecamp or Mapsource on your PC which can then be uploaded to your GPS.

8) Or you can download a ZIP file which has the map file compressed. Once you have the file unzipped you can transfer it to a SD which can then be plugged into your GPS.

Hope that helps

I have a Dakota 20 I live in Georgia How do I download OSM for Ga. and surrounding states. I am not computer savy so I need all steps spelled out.

5) You then need to wait for an email telling the map is ready for download. This may take minutes; hours or days depending on the load.

6) When the "map ready" email arrives it will have a link that takes you to a web page where you can download the map in various forms.

7) You can download a .EXE installer file which, when you run it, will install the map into Basecamp or Mapsource on your PC which can then be uploaded to your GPS.

8) Or you can download a ZIP file which has the map file compressed. Once you have the file unzipped you can transfer it to a SD which can then be plugged into your GPS.

Hope that helps

Thanks for the information Huntleigh another question I have is what are you talking about EXE installer file do I need this if not I like to keep things simple. and if the internal memory is not big enough will GPS automatically put it on the micro SDHC Card. If not automatic I need steps to do that. On the OSM site it says you can build your own map do you know how to do that and if so please pass alone the information. I think your reply is most help-full to me. Again thanks

Thanks for the information Huntleigh another question I have is what are you talking about EXE installer file do I need this if not I like to keep things simple. and if the internal memory is not big enough will GPS automatically put it on the micro SDHC Card. If not automatic I need steps to do that. On the OSM site it says you can build your own map do you know how to do that and if so please pass alone the information. I think your reply is most help-full to me. Again thanks

Just talking Windows PCs here (Apple comes from Mordor in my view)

Garmin provides mapping programmes to run on your PC — Mapsource is what I use but it has been replaced by BaseCamp.

bp.jpg

You can load maps (and caches) into this programme. Select what you want and then upload to your GPS. If there is not enough memory on your GPS the programme will tell you this and you will need to select less.

Garmin maps come in a .IMG format (IIRC) and there are utilities available that allow you to load these maps manually into Mapsource, but it is far easier to download the EXE file. EXE stands for executible and when you select it, it will run a little utility which will load the map into Mapsource/BaseCamp automatically.

As far as customising the OSM download, you would have noticed in the Georgia example that the OSM site displays a map of the state with blue tiles overlaid on it. You can click on the tiles to add or delete the areas you need.

Complete walk throughs for PC and MAC available here.

Hope that helps

Hope that helps

Hope that helps

We have downloaded the map , but can't seem to get any farther. This is Don's wife Kathy, I don't know what an exe file installer is or the basecamp, Don told what an SD is but have no idea how to use it, neither one of us are computer literate, please help Kathy ty

We have downloaded the map , but can't seem to get any farther. This is Don's wife Kathy, I don't know what an exe file installer is or the basecamp, Don told what an SD is but have no idea how to use it, neither one of us are computer literate, please help Kathy ty

Perhaps we need to go back a step or two. Do you have a Windows PC? Do you know which version of Windows (Windows XP; Windows 7)?

An SD card is a little memory chip that can be plugged into PCs, cameras, GPS, etc so can be used to transfer data (such as maps) from one device to another. Or it can simply provide extra memory (for maps or caches) for your GPS.

200px-SD_Cards.svg.png

Easier (for the less computer literate)

Do you have the Garmin Basecamp programme installed on your PC? The EXE installer file will only work if you have Basecamp installed as it is designed to load the map into Basecamp.

You can download Basecamp from here, instructions follow

Installation Instructions

Download the Garmin BaseCamp update file into a directory on your hard drive. (i.e., c:\downloads).

Change to the directory in which you downloaded the files, (i.e., c:\downloads), and run the executable file (.exe). Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the update of your BaseCamp installation.

Once you have Basecamp installed, just double-clicking on the OSM EXE map file you downloaded (something like "osm_routable_mapsource.exe") should cause it to run and install the map into Basecamp.

From there, use these instructions to load the map into your GPS.

Harder

The alternative is to have downloaded the map in the ZIP file format. This file has the map file format compressed to make transfer quicker. On any modern version of Windows just double-clicking on the ZIP file will cause it to "un-zip" and save the now correctly formatted file somewhere on your PC. It will probably have a name something like "62300000.img"

Then, with your GPS plugged into the PC, you then have to use the file manager to move the map file directly into your GPS or onto a SD inserted into the GPS. The file locations where they should go can be found here along with a whole pile of other good info.

I hope you get this sorted.

That map's a Garmin product (or compiled with Garmin's compiler) isn't it? AFAIK nobody else knows how to incorporate 3D DEM hillshade in their maps.

Not sure, I "borrowed" the image from Brent's website, who is one of several vendors who use the free mapping data NZ government's mapping agency to build commercial product.

But there is also a vibrant open source community in NZ that produces free maps and has a forum where I suspect Brent may hang out.

Perhaps we need to go back a step or two. Do you have a Windows PC? Do you know which version of Windows (Windows XP; Windows 7)?

An SD card is a little memory chip that can be plugged into PCs, cameras, GPS, etc so can be used to transfer data (such as maps) from one device to another. Or it can simply provide extra memory (for maps or caches) for your GPS.

200px-SD_Cards.svg.png

Easier (for the less computer literate)

Do you have the Garmin Basecamp programme installed on your PC? The EXE installer file will only work if you have Basecamp installed as it is designed to load the map into Basecamp.

You can download Basecamp from here, instructions follow

Installation Instructions

Download the Garmin BaseCamp update file into a directory on your hard drive. (i.e., c:\downloads).

Change to the directory in which you downloaded the files, (i.e., c:\downloads), and run the executable file (.exe). Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the update of your BaseCamp installation.

Once you have Basecamp installed, just double-clicking on the OSM EXE map file you downloaded (something like "osm_routable_mapsource.exe") should cause it to run and install the map into Basecamp.

From there, use these instructions to load the map into your GPS.

Harder

The alternative is to have downloaded the map in the ZIP file format. This file has the map file format compressed to make transfer quicker. On any modern version of Windows just double-clicking on the ZIP file will cause it to "un-zip" and save the now correctly formatted file somewhere on your PC. It will probably have a name something like "62300000.img"

Then, with your GPS plugged into the PC, you then have to use the file manager to move the map file directly into your GPS or onto a SD inserted into the GPS. The file locations where they should go can be found here along with a whole pile of other good info.

I hope you get this sorted.

I have been working on this and am still having problems, I have downloaded basecamp and the map, I then tried to download it into the garmin, I am on a windows 7 program on a laptop, I tried many times and it doesn't seem to work. There is an SD card in there also, I have tried to download it the SD card and the garmin. It says it is downloading and takes awhile to downlad, but nothing, any other suggestions would be helpful. TY Kathy Norton

I have been working on this and am still having problems, I have downloaded basecamp and the map, I then tried to download it into the garmin, I am on a windows 7 program on a laptop, I tried many times and it doesn't seem to work. There is an SD card in there also, I have tried to download it the SD card and the garmin. It says it is downloading and takes awhile to downlad, but nothing, any other suggestions would be helpful. TY Kathy Norton

Did you miss this?

Complete walk throughs for PC and MAC available here.

Edited by Atlas Cached