Need help with OSM and basecamp

hidenseek581

I have just dowloaded a OSM that has files for parts of California, Washington state, Illinois, and parts of Australia. I have put these files on my SD card on my garmin. When I look at my completed caches folder in basecamp, to see where I have found my caches, and use the OSM map, it lists each individual map separately. This is a MESS to read (many many files)! Is there some way of organizing this into an Illinois OSM, Washington OSM, Australia OSM, etc. so that it is easier to find things?

Also, if I request individual OSMs, eg. Illinois, California, Australia, won't they overwrite each other? If I just rename them, will it work?

Also, if I request individual OSMs, eg. Illinois, California, Australia, won't they overwrite each other? If I just rename them, will it work?

Renaming won't work unless you use an application to do it like JavaWa GMTK. If you are getting your OSM maps from garmin.openstreetmap.nl, the download script may cause each mapset you download to have the same name and overwrite the registry settings for the prior mapset. The fix for this is to use JavaWa GMTK (extras) to change the mapset ID and name once you have installed the OSM map, prior to subsequent OSM mapset installs.

Edited by seldom_sn

Is there a way to copy an OSM map from basecamp to the SD card on my Garmin 62s/etrex 20?

I had copied the zip file from OSM directly to my SD card, and it seemed to work fine. I also copied the basecamp OSM to basecamp, and when the GPS was not hooked up to the computer, that worked fine too. But when I hooked the GPS with OSM on the SD card to the computer and tried to open basecamp, the application froze multiple times. I then deleted the zip file, and all was fine again. So, I'm thinking there is some sort of conflict between the OSM versions. Is there any way to copy directly from bascamp to my SD card?

Normally the map is installed in BaseCamp using a self extracting installer. Then when you have your GPSr connected to your PC you can use BaseCamp's MapInstall application to send maps to the device. See this tutorial.

The GPSFileDepot tutorial has not been updated in some time, and is showing it's age with those outdated versions of MapInstall and BaseCamp. If a more recent, modern tutorial is desired, for both PC and MAC, try these.

The GPSFileDepot tutorial has not been updated in some time, and is showing it's age with those outdated versions of MapInstall and BaseCamp. If a more recent, modern tutorial is desired, for both PC and MAC, try these.

The maps used in Atlas Cached's tutorial look really familiar. I must have a fan.

Edited by seldom_sn