9th International Mathtrade

ECplus3

Hi everyone,

It is that time of year again!

I have created a new gmail account for this year's mathtrade to handle all the communications. If you are interested in joining, please send your info to:

mathtrade9@gmail.com.

I will need your:

- Caching Name

- Real Name

- FULL Mailing Address

- Email Address

For now I am just gathering names. Once I create the Google spreadsheet I will give you access to it and you can start adding coins! (but don't expect this til after Christmas!)

The trade will be divided into four phases:

1. Coin submission - entering your trade offers into the spreadsheet (ends Jan 12th, 9pm EST)

2. Regroup - reorganize your coin submissions to create groups (ends Jan 19th, 9pm EST or earlier)

3. Want list submission - create your wish lists! (ends Jan 26th, 9pm EST or earlier)

4. Trading! - trade list generated and emailed to you (starts Jan 29th if all goes well!)

Please respect the following rules:

1. This is an international trade - only take part in it if you are willing to pay for a possible overseas shipment of your coins! Remember that in theory each coin that you trade away may have to be sent to a different destination, within or outside of your own country.

2. You can list both trackable and non-trackable coins. If nothing is mentioned in the Remarks column, the coin will be assumed to be trackable and unactivated. In all other cases the status of the coin needs to be specified in the Remarks column. Activated coins are only allowed if they will be offered up for adoption (with the exception of Lackey and Moun10bike coins, obviously :D).

3. Participants may only submit one coin of any one edition (same coin with same finish/colour/etc) to trade. Duplicates are not allowed.

4. Please make sure you adhere to the deadlines shown above! Any edit after a deadline will be ignored!

5. Please keep your list to 50 coins or less!

Keep an eye on this thread - I will use it to post additional information/clarifications whenever needed!

Of course you can also use it to post any questions or remarks.

A More Detailed Explanation:

Q. What is a geocoin math trade? What makes it different from a 'normal' trade?

A. In a ' normal' trade, person A gives coin X to person B and person B give coin Y to person A. Sometimes person A wants a coin that person B has, but has nothing that interests person B to give in return. In that case person A could go looking for a person C to arrange a trade to get a coin from person's B want list. In a math trade you don't have to hunt for a 'person C' -- the software will do this for you! The math trade software will find optimal 'trade chains', some of which may involve just the regular 2 coins, while other 'trade chains' that are part of the same math trade may involve 3, 4, 5 or even more coins.

Q. I feel uncomfortable listing coin offers without knowing what I'll receive in return for them. Why would I do this?

A. You will be the one to decide what you'll get in return. After everyone has listed their coin offers, you can go through the total list of offers and make a want list for every coin you have offered. If you are not interested in trading one of your coins for any of the listed offers, you will simply use an empty want list for it, so that your coin won't be traded at all.

Q. What if someone offers a coin that I REALLY want? Is there a way that I can maybe offer 2 of my coins in exchange for this coveted coin?

A. Yes, there is. After Phase 1 (entering coin offers), we will enter Phase 2 (regrouping). During this phase you have a chance to look closely at the coins that are being offered, and if there are coins you would really want to get, you could try and create a more interesting offer by grouping two or more of your coins into one offer. If you group coin X and Y together, then these will not be traded separately, but as one single unit, for which you can decide (during the want list submission phase) what you want to trade them for.

(Detailed instructions for this regrouping will follow once we hit that phase (but don't worry, it's actually quite simple).

Q. Two or more people have listed one specific coin that I like. But if I include both in my want lists for, say, two of my coins, I risk ending up with 2 copies of the same coin. Is there a way to prevent this?

A. Yes, there is (a more verbose answer will follow at the appropriate time).

Sorry to keep everyone waiting! I've had a string of health issues the past couple of months culminating in pneumonia over Christmas. Haven't kept up with the coin side of things lately.

However, I just sent out a bunch of invites to the Google spreadsheet for the mathtrade!

Everyone can start adding their coins. I think we can stick with the Jan 12th deadline for entering coins, but anyone feels they need an extension, please let me know.

Cheers, and Happy New Year!

Chuck

When I click on the add coins link I get an error message. It says ooops, something went wrong.

Me too. It says:

"Oops, something went wrong.

The form "8th International Math Trade" is no longer accepting responses.

Try contacting the owner of the form if you think this is a mistake. "

??

My fault. I didn't change the link on the front page.

All fixed I think. Or you can use the Form -> Go to Live Form option at the top.

So sorry to hear you've been sick, Chuck. I hope you've fully recovered and are ready to take on 2013!

I'm having trouble getting to the spreadsheet. I'm sure it's just me. I sent a request with a different email address. So excited for the trade, but my comp died and I'm trying to do this on my new iPad. I'll be watching for the invite!

Edited to say...

Never mind the new request :P

I got in with the original invite.

Edited by imoutnabout

Tried to access through my invite email and it said I didn't have permission. I clicked on the "request permission" link. Don't know if it's because I used my regular email account for the invite instead of my gmail account (which I never use). Anyway, hope I get permission!

I still can't access the google doc. :sad: Help?

Tried that. Several times. Still says I don't have permission to access. Clicked the "request access" link. Still nothing. About ready to give up on participating.

Tried that. Several times. Still says I don't have permission to access. Clicked the "request access" link. Still nothing. About ready to give up on participating.

Be sure you're logging in with the correct email/password combo. That was my problem. I am using my common hotmail email account, but I was trying to log into the google doc with my hotmail password. When I used my "old" password from when I first signed up to google docs, it worked. There were all the old google docs as well as the Math Trade 9 doc.

I hope this helps someone.

Be sure you're logging in with the correct email/password combo. That was my problem. I am using my common hotmail email account, but I was trying to log into the google doc with my hotmail password. When I used my "old" password from when I first signed up to google docs, it worked. There were all the old google docs as well as the Math Trade 9 doc.

Thanks for the info. I was definitely logged in correctly as I could see my other google docs (like the 12-12-12 multi event and previous math trades). At any rate, for whatever reason, this morning it worked and I am in! Woo Hoo!

Just curious, though, when I bring up the doc, shouldn't I be seeing coins that have already been entered by others? It's been a while since we've done this, but my sheet comes up with no coins on it. I haven't entered any yet...maybe then I'll see others?

Thanks for the info. I was definitely logged in correctly as I could see my other google docs (like the 12-12-12 multi event and previous math trades). At any rate, for whatever reason, this morning it worked and I am in! Woo Hoo!

Just curious, though, when I bring up the doc, shouldn't I be seeing coins that have already been entered by others? It's been a while since we've done this, but my sheet comes up with no coins on it. I haven't entered any yet...maybe then I'll see others?

You have to click on the "coin sheet" text linked at the bottom.

You have to click on the "coin sheet" text linked at the bottom.

Doh! :anicute:

Thanks.

Hi everyone,

It is that time of year again!

I have created a new gmail account for this year's mathtrade to handle all the communications. If you are interested in joining, please send your info to:

mathtrade9@gmail.com.

I will need your:

- Caching Name

- Real Name

- FULL Mailing Address

- Email Address

For now I am just gathering names. Once I create the Google spreadsheet I will give you access to it and you can start adding coins! (but don't expect this til after Christmas!)

The trade will be divided into four phases:

1. Coin submission - entering your trade offers into the spreadsheet (ends Jan 12th, 9pm EST)

2. Regroup - reorganize your coin submissions to create groups (ends Jan 19th, 9pm EST or earlier)

3. Want list submission - create your wish lists! (ends Jan 26th, 9pm EST or earlier)

4. Trading! - trade list generated and emailed to you (starts Jan 29th if all goes well!)

Please respect the following rules:

1. This is an international trade - only take part in it if you are willing to pay for a possible overseas shipment of your coins! Remember that in theory each coin that you trade away may have to be sent to a different destination, within or outside of your own country.

2. You can list both trackable and non-trackable coins. If nothing is mentioned in the Remarks column, the coin will be assumed to be trackable and unactivated. In all other cases the status of the coin needs to be specified in the Remarks column. Activated coins are only allowed if they will be offered up for adoption (with the exception of Lackey and Moun10bike coins, obviously :D).

3. Participants may only submit one coin of any one edition (same coin with same finish/colour/etc) to trade. Duplicates are not allowed.

4. Please make sure you adhere to the deadlines shown above! Any edit after a deadline will be ignored!

5. Please keep your list to 50 coins or less!

Keep an eye on this thread - I will use it to post additional information/clarifications whenever needed!

Of course you can also use it to post any questions or remarks.

A More Detailed Explanation:

Q. What is a geocoin math trade? What makes it different from a 'normal' trade?

A. In a ' normal' trade, person A gives coin X to person B and person B give coin Y to person A. Sometimes person A wants a coin that person B has, but has nothing that interests person B to give in return. In that case person A could go looking for a person C to arrange a trade to get a coin from person's B want list. In a math trade you don't have to hunt for a 'person C' -- the software will do this for you! The math trade software will find optimal 'trade chains', some of which may involve just the regular 2 coins, while other 'trade chains' that are part of the same math trade may involve 3, 4, 5 or even more coins.

Q. I feel uncomfortable listing coin offers without knowing what I'll receive in return for them. Why would I do this?

A. You will be the one to decide what you'll get in return. After everyone has listed their coin offers, you can go through the total list of offers and make a want list for every coin you have offered. If you are not interested in trading one of your coins for any of the listed offers, you will simply use an empty want list for it, so that your coin won't be traded at all.

Q. What if someone offers a coin that I REALLY want? Is there a way that I can maybe offer 2 of my coins in exchange for this coveted coin?

A. Yes, there is. After Phase 1 (entering coin offers), we will enter Phase 2 (regrouping). During this phase you have a chance to look closely at the coins that are being offered, and if there are coins you would really want to get, you could try and create a more interesting offer by grouping two or more of your coins into one offer. If you group coin X and Y together, then these will not be traded separately, but as one single unit, for which you can decide (during the want list submission phase) what you want to trade them for.

(Detailed instructions for this regrouping will follow once we hit that phase (but don't worry, it's actually quite simple).

Q. Two or more people have listed one specific coin that I like. But if I include both in my want lists for, say, two of my coins, I risk ending up with 2 copies of the same coin. Is there a way to prevent this?

A. Yes, there is (a more verbose answer will follow at the appropriate time).

so i can offer one coin and if i don't find the one i want i don't have to trade? (still working on understanding this)