Ironing out a few issues with new GPS

alteredform

Hello,

I just took delivery of a new Garmin Montana 650 and I am a little apprehensive about a few things....

I am using the Mac OSX operating system. I have downloaded and installed the latest version of basecamp and supporting software. I have also visited the gpsfiledepot and downloaded the topo maps and my trails maps for my area and subsequently uploaded them to base camp. I have yet to connect my gps to my mac. Before I proceed should I be doing anything else? I am running firmware v. 4.20 - should I update to a more current version? I have tried to search and find whether or not there is a consensus regarding a certain version, but it simple doesn't appear to me what everyone is successfully using.

Also, I recently learned about GSAK for windows users, is there a Mac equivalent? maccaching no longer appears to be supported by its author.

Regards,

Hello,

I just took delivery of a new Garmin Montana 650 and I am a little apprehensive about a few things....

I am using the Mac OSX operating system. I have downloaded and installed the latest version of basecamp and supporting software. I have also visited the gpsfiledepot and downloaded the topo maps and my trails maps for my area and subsequently uploaded them to base camp. I have yet to connect my gps to my mac. Before I proceed should I be doing anything else? I am running firmware v. 4.20 - should I update to a more current version? I have tried to search and find whether or not there is a consensus regarding a certain version, but it simple doesn't appear to me what everyone is successfully using.

Also, I recently learned about GSAK for windows users, is there a Mac equivalent? maccaching no longer appears to be supported by its author.

Regards,

Generally the latest firmware is the most stable. Not always, but usually. The GPS and Technology forum is the best place for these questions and you can search for your subject. More than likely the topic has been covered.

I run a Mac as well and have not found anything that can come close to GSAK. I now have Windows 7 on my Mac as well using Bootcamp so I can use GSAK. I've been able to run GSAK using VMware, but could never get the GPS to connect correctly and consistently, so I finally set up a Windows version in Bootcamp.

Edited by ThreeTrees