Unsolicited Editing of a Waymark

two bison

Suddenly some person or persons unknown is editing one of my waymarks. There is no link, that I can discern, where I could ask What's up with this?. This is the message I got:

An edit suggestion(s) for your 'First Immigrant Cabin in Douglas County, Oregon' waymark has been reviewed with the following outcome:

Old Name: This is a monument for the Rev. JA Cornwall and Family cabin.

Suggested Change: This is a monument for the Rev. JA Cornwall and Family cabin.

Result: Accepted

Old Name:

<p>This is a monument to the builders of the first immigrant cabin in Douglas County, Oregon in the ...

Suggested Change:

<p>This is a monument to the builders of the first immigrant cabin in Douglas County, Oregon in the ...

Web link to additional information" Variable: Accepted

Reviewer's comments:

updated URL's

Visit the waymark: http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WM1BF6_First_Immigrant_Cabin_in_Douglas_County_Oregon

Happy Waymarking!

The Groundspeak Team

So I'm asking What's up with this?

Suddenly some person or persons unknown is editing one of my waymarks. There is no link, that I can discern, where I could ask What's up with this?. This is the message I got:

An edit suggestion(s) for your 'First Immigrant Cabin in Douglas County, Oregon' waymark has been reviewed with the following outcome:

Old Name: This is a monument for the Rev. JA Cornwall and Family cabin.

Suggested Change: This is a monument for the Rev. JA Cornwall and Family cabin.

Old Name:

Suggested Change:

Web link to additional information" Variable: Accepted

Reviewer's comments:

updated URL's

Visit the waymark: http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WM1BF6_First_Immigrant_Cabin_in_Douglas_County_Oregon

Happy Waymarking!

The Groundspeak Team

So I'm asking What's up with this?

As far as I know, only you and the officers of that category can edit the waymark. Others can suggest an edit, thru the feature on Waymarking.com, but it has to be approved by an officer of that category.

However, unless I'm missing something, I can't see any changes suggested. Old and new seem the same. Is that correct?

Or.... was the additional link variable added? When I visit a waymark where certain information is missing, an automated message asks me to add that information myself to the waymark page (it's a built-in feature). Is it possible this happened?

Edited by Max and 99

If you get the message then it is a result of someone recommending an edit, in this case the URL. If an officer of the category makes a change directly you will not receive an email. Often when these come in they will have more than what was really changed listed as being a change, when I see ones like this I decline that part and just accept the URL change. Once a waymark is listed other waymarkers can suggest changes to the waymark and the officer's for the category review those changes before they are accepted

Bruce's explanation is accurate. Anyone can suggest a change to any existing waymark. But the system is really clunky. These go to the management group (officers) for review just like an original waymark. But, there is NO identification of the person suggesting the changes. I think this is a huge mistake. The reviewing officer many need to communicate with the person suggesting the change in order to sort it out. It is also difficult to spot exactly what the suggested change is if the person suggesting the changes doesn't identify them in a specific way--which is hardly ever, in my experience. And, as Bruce has indicated, several portions of the waymark may be identified as having changes when no change has been made. Each section has to be reviewed and checked off separately.

Sometimes I get a very long description with a note that spelling changes have been made. These are not highlighted in any way, and it is too tedious to try to pick them out. Who is to say if the purposed editor is a better speller than the original poster? So, I often decline these.

To top it off, apparently the notice of the editing changes go back to the original waymark creator and not to the person suggesting changes. Thus, there is no possibility of feedback.

You do remain in control of your waymark, and if you disagree with any change, you can edit your own waymark. (The only exception is that category officers can, but seldom do, lock waymarks from changes by the owner. I have never done so.

Interesting story about Waymarks being edited.

I do occasionally edit Waymarks in categories where I am either a Leader or Officer if I notice a typo or dead link (and know a valid link) or to correct a title, but I did not realize that there is no way to determine who made the edit. I always 'assumed (scary word)' that my name would be attached to the email about the edit so if there was a problem, someone could contact me.

To anyone whose Waymark I have edited -- no harm was intended, I was just trying to keep our Waymarks high quality. I consider myself the 'Queen of Typos,' [why do typos only appear after you have hit the 'Submit' button!?!?!] and just correct them in other Waymarks if I notice. It don't really want to bother someone by either declining or sending an email about a small problem that I can fix quickly. Most people put a ton of work into they submissions (especially folks to whom English is not their native language!).

If the edit was incorrect, I 'assume' you could just go back and fix it to the proper info/form.

Take care,

Outspoken1

To top it off, apparently the notice of the editing changes go back to the original waymark creator and not to the person suggesting changes. Thus, there is no possibility of feedback.

I have received a couple of notifications that the edit I suggested was accepted or declined.

Ex. Thank you for submitting your edit suggestion(s) for the XXX waymark. The managing group has completed their review with the following outcome:

What really confuses me is that I have to be signed in to wm.com in order to suggest an edit, but my username isn't shown in the edit suggestion?

Edited by Max and 99

Interesting story about Waymarks being edited.

I do occasionally edit Waymarks in categories where I am either a Leader or Officer if I notice a typo or dead link (and know a valid link) or to correct a title, but I did not realize that there is no way to determine who made the edit. I always 'assumed (scary word)' that my name would be attached to the email about the edit so if there was a problem, someone could contact me.

To anyone whose Waymark I have edited -- no harm was intended, I was just trying to keep our Waymarks high quality. I consider myself the 'Queen of Typos,' [why do typos only appear after you have hit the 'Submit' button!?!?!] and just correct them in other Waymarks if I notice. It don't really want to bother someone by either declining or sending an email about a small problem that I can fix quickly. Most people put a ton of work into they submissions (especially folks to whom English is not their native language!).

If the edit was incorrect, I 'assume' you could just go back and fix it to the proper info/form.

Take care,

Outspoken1

When you make edits as the leader or an officer in the group for the category no email is generated and as an officer I do the same especially for things such as wrong state or more obvious spelling error.