"Puzzle Vault" as a part of Multi-cache

Twopints1977

Whilst browsing the internet recently I stumbled upon this little gadget.

Puzzle Vault

I had an idea to put the next set of co-ordinates in something like this as part of a multi-cache. If you found this as part of a multi-cache would you find it fun, or annoying?

Do you think that some cachers might just hit it with something hard or crush it underfoot rather than spend the time to solve the maze?

Looks fine. As usual, my main suggestion would be to give some hints to avoid the additional time and effort being a surprise in the field, although this one looks simple enough that it would be no big deal.

I did a puzzle cache with a more complex 3-D puzzle maze that had to be solved before the log could be accessed, but the description clearly said you'd need to sit down and work on something a while before you could sign the log.

I doubt any geocacher would take a hammer to it, but if a muggle found it, there's no saying what might happen. Although depending on the construction, you might want to take some pains to make sure everyone understands that there's no "trick" way to open it other than solving the maze.

Oh, and in any case, make sure to get some spares...

That particular maze looks easy to complete. If you bought a harder one, then be aware that some geocachers will get frustrated rather quickly. And some frustrated geocachers will be less than gentle in their efforts to reach their goals.

I think that's the case with one around here. It's one of these:

51x3zeHFkFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The cache has only been out since February, and it's already been repaired twice and replaced three times!

Some people will just flatly refuse to solve a puzzle like this the intended way, but can't walk away without the smiley. They'll do whatever is necessary, even if it negatively affects the CO and the finders after them. Anything for the almighty smiley...

It's a fine idea.... but agree the more complex the puzzle is, the more chance of issues with it.

I had first hand experience with a cube like the one The A-Team posted. I had just spent 3 hours on a fun (but tiring!) multi, and had got to the end, or so I thought... and there was a cube. And it was about to get dark. I could not solve it. That did cause me some initial frustration I admit.. but I returned the next day prepared (I brought my daughter to help me, and also some little stickers to mark a path on the box) and we solved it. I got over that initial frustration and gave the cache a Fav point.

I think it's a great idea.

... but is it safe to assume that it is reusable and that it is easy to reset?

First I would suggest making the cache a puzzle/unknown type rather than a multi and using the field puzzle attribute.

I was FTF on a cache a few years ago that used a similar puzzle inside a container. The puzzle contained the logbook. When I got there at least one other person had been to the location before me. They didn't "reset" the puzzle box to how it had been originally place and I only had to make one small manipulation to get it to open.

Thanks for the feedback everyone :)

I have checked the product description and it can be re-set/re-used, I will however add a little reminder to reset with the co-ordinates inside and instructions if necessary.

I'm planning to have three stages containing different types of puzzle items. This looks to be the easiest so I was going to have it as stage 1.

However, as this is the only one which can be "solved" by breaking, I will have it as stage 2 or stage 3, that should weed out those who are not willing to solve a puzzle the proper way. I'll put the cheapest and easiest to replace in stage 1.

I will buy two or three so that I can replace any accidental or deliberate breakages or mugglings.

Edited by Twopints1977

I have one that looks identical in my box of cache containers waiting to be placed.

The design is neat, and when you open the maze the ball goes back to the beginning. Its also fairly simply to solve.

But (there is always a but) it would not stand up to heavy use, so as the final in a multi is not a bad idea. It would not last long as a popular traditional.

I think that's the case with one around here. It's one of these:

51x3zeHFkFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The cache has only been out since February, and it's already been repaired twice and replaced three times!

Wow, tough crowd. There's a puzzle cache a lot like that in my area. It's been out for 4 years. It was stolen once a couple months after it was placed, but it's been doing great ever since. 83 finds and no mention of any hammers.

I enjoy that kind of cache. I usually see that sort of puzzle used to hold the log instead of coordinates for another stage, but either way I usually have fun.

Well, except for the fact that I always seem to find them on frigid, windy days where I end up battling hypothermia and frostbite while shivering violently and trying to solve the puzzle without dropping it...

As an option to protect the puzzle, you could perhaps find a way to keep it in a more protected or supervised environment? I once found a very nice puzzle of the sort which was hidden in a library to reduce chances of it getting stolen or damaged.