Puzzling story

BKip

I happened upon the online story below and was intrigued enough to do a bit of research.

Online Story

I did a Google search of "Highland Park, Avenue 57 and Via Marisol, which resulted in a map. I selected street view and saw the sign in the online article, verifying I was looking at the right area. I then dropped a marker that gave me the coordinates (N 34 06.242 W 118 11.536), which I put into the Geocaching search engine.

Reviewing some of the nearby listing I couldn't figure out what cache might be associated with the sign.

Just being curious (I was really impressed by the effort that must have went into this) does anyone know what cache is associated with the sign?

As a side note: Trying to contact a CO of a nearby cache, for more information, I discovered that GC.com changed it's "Send message" format, limiting them to only 240 characters.

From the online story: "'Cute as a Button' is a widely understood clue in the world of geocaching."

I've never heard that phrase used in a geocaching context. I'm curious about just how widely understood that clue is.

It may be common in that specific region, but I've never heard it connected to geocaching either. I just did some Googling, and I couldn't find any reference to "cute as a button" being a geocaching clue other than the story in question.

I did notice that INATN has picked up the story, and they're just as confused as we are:

It’s Not About The Numbers has been unable to find any mention of this hide online so believes it may refer to an unpublished cache within the meridian garden that the arrow points to. Nor were we familiar with the geo-term ‘Cute As a Button’ until today. It certainly doesn’t appear in GeoLex, the online geo-dictionary.

From the online story: "'Cute as a Button' is a widely understood clue in the world of geocaching."

I've never heard that phrase used in a geocaching context. I'm curious about just how widely understood that clue is.

That part of the story now reads like this: "the phrase "Cute as a Button," it's an important clue for members of the geocaching community." (has the text changed?)

The whole article is in Reporter-ese, and I think the real story is it's a clue for part of a Multi Cache (unpublished). A "clue" being "important for members of the geocaching community" -- not that it's a well-known secret phrase, but it's a clue that will be used when locating the cache.

Or the guy who called the reporter, some guy named "Steve", is incorrect about the whole thing.

Edited by kunarion

That part of the story now reads like this: "the phrase "Cute as a Button," it's an important clue for members of the geocaching community." (has the text changed?)

Still there. It's a subtitle located right below the article's main title.

Still there. It's a subtitle located right below the article's main title.

You know what? I think most of us, and the Not About the Numbers Blog have been reading the original article all wrong. If there were indeed a published "Cute as a button" series of caches, the context of the wording would all be referring to it being an important clue for that series, not some secret codeword that all of us Geocachers use all the time. Boy, I'm overthinking this one, aren't I? :rolleyes:

I e-mailed the reporter and he advised me:

"Keep in mind that I'm not even close to being a geocache expert, but I was first alerted to the idea that "Cute as a Button" might be a clue by a reader. He's quoted in the article. I did a little research to try to verify, and found "Cute as a Button" pop up on a couple Geocache websites. " He included a random link to one of the "Cute as a Button" caches.

"... the sign's definitely real. Took the photo myself a block from my house! "

He did not comment on a direct question, "is the sign associated with a specific cache or series?"

Based on the above, he posted the sign. Then received a reader response indicating it might be associated with a GC. He then made some wrong assumptions and wrote the story listed.

So, maybe it is, and maybe it is not associated with a cache... but the writer based the story on a slight possibility that it was.

Edited by BKip

I just found the "original" story, where the writer inquires to the general public about the sign.

Story

So, the reporter wrote that story based on a Google search (which really doesn't turn up any useful hits for me) and this?

According to a friend of mind, this might be possible:

"Cute as a Button is a series of Geocaches....

I love clues like this."

Perhaps there is something to be found in that garden?

:blink:

What are they teaching in Journalism school these days? :huh:

I just found the "original" story, where the writer inquires to the general public about the sign.

Story

So, the reporter wrote that story based on a Google search (which really doesn't turn up any useful hits for me) and this?

According to a friend of mind, this might be possible:

"Cute as a Button is a series of Geocaches....

I love clues like this."

Perhaps there is something to be found in that garden?

:blink:

What are they teaching in Journalism school these days? :huh:

I wouldn't necessarily refer to the "Patch" websites as Journalism.

I couldn't find anything nearby after searching five other geocache listing services and one letterbox listing service. (So, no need for posts speculating about/unintentionally promoting such other services.)

I also didn't see anything when using my reviewer account to search this location for hidden waypoints (puzzles, multi's) or for "draft" cache pages that haven't yet been published.

This story was posted the same day. He doesn't know why it was put up, so he wrote a story with specious details in a fishing attempt to motivate the person who actually did it to get upset and come forward to dispute it.

It's pointing to a little garden area. Is it possible that the city put up a whimsical sign? If so, it's not related to Geocaching at all (unless a CO took advantage of the new sign and its arrow). But it may not be an "official" road sign, since some pictures make it look like the sign's background was painted with a brush.

2lc72pc.jpg

It also seems to me that if a cache page used the term "cute as a button", it would be a hint that the container is a "blinky" (a nano). Not a well known phrase, but a well-known container.

[EDIT]: Whatever it means, I'd say it's a home-made sign. The DOT would at least use a consistent shade of green. AND... is it glued on?? ...tucked under a sign? What holds it in place?

Edited by kunarion

I am going with the theory that it is a piece of art, similar to the nearby Fork in the Road, which began as "guerrilla art", but achieved more official recognition after it was removed by officials and local residents demanded it be replaced. Maybe there is a "Cute as a Button Gang" similar to the group that first placed the fork and they will eventually come forward. Maybe it refers to the park area. Maybe a local resident just had a baby that they thought was as cute as a button. Maybe it is just there.

I like the comment in the article suggesting that it refers to the Great Successor, Kim Jong Un, who was recently named the Sexiest Man on Earth.

To me, the geocaching aspect was brought into the picture to try to explain something that should just be enjoyed in its own right. Of course someone later put a cache at the Fork. I am not sure that the Button sign will have that kind of longevity, but you never know. The neighbors seem to like it, So how long will it take until somebody places a Cute as A Button cache where the arrow points?

Edited by geodarts

Perhaps it's just a promotional thing run by or through the Patch. Not being from there, I won't, but since the Patch might be the listing site itself (not any of the usual big ones) in the old way of caching. I had a quick look around their site, but it could be something like that for sure. Maybe it's just a 'visual' scavenger hunt of sorts, go find a suspicious 'clue' and collect it in and image.

Something like the 'planking' craze. Go to the clue and pose ( in this case stand by the sign and do something 'cute' or look like that.

Just a thought.

Doug 7rxc

But it may not be an "official" road sign, since some pictures make it look like the sign's background was painted with a brush.

<snipped photo>

I'd say it's definitely not official. Based on the texture in that photo, it looks like it's made of fiberboard:

fiberboard-density-800x800.jpg

I highly doubt the DOT would put out a sign made of that. It's homemade.

But it may not be an "official" road sign, since some pictures make it look like the sign's background was painted with a brush.

<snipped photo>

I'd say it's definitely not official. Based on the texture in that photo, it looks like it's made of fiberboard:

fiberboard-density-800x800.jpg

I highly doubt the DOT would put out a sign made of that. It's homemade.

Great call, Mr. A!

It worked so well the transportation department left it in place for 8 years.

It sounds like it was only left in place because they didn't notice the change. I would expect they'd notice a new sign that says "Cute as a Button", though.

No. It's well known in Southern California. People even called and wrote to Caltrans and thanked them for finally putting up less confusing signs. In addition, traffic flow was increased due the decrease in confusion.

What is not well known in So Cal is the geocaching phrase, "Cute as a Button".