Geocaching Documentary: South-West England - December 2012

Tom_Scott

Hey everyone,

I'm interested in creating a short documentary on Geocaching to shoot next month in the later half of December.

I know that the Geocaching documentary is a bit of a tired format (just check YouTube to see), so I really want to focus on the people behind geocaching and interview people from all manners of life who are drawn to the hobby and have really integrated it into their everyday life.

I myself am based in the South-West of England, so it would primarily be great if I could hear back from any willing participants who live in and around that area but I'm open to anyone who lives further afield and has a great desire to get involved.

Participants would have to be okay with having their face and voice recorded with the hope of being able to shoot this whilst going out on a hunt for a cache.

Unfortunately as an undergrad student, I wouldn't really be able to offer anything in the way of money but I hope someone would just be interested in getting their opinion voiced and to show off what really draws them to geocaching.

The finished film would probably find it's way to sites like YouTube/Vimeo with the potential of perhaps going a documentary festival.

Also, I know December is a really busy time for everyone around Christmas so dates are flexible in that sense, but I'd really appreciate it if you feel like you may be able to help in any way and want to get involved please reply to this topic or send me an email at thomas.d.scott@students.plymouth.ac.uk

Thanks,

Tom Scott

Perhaps it would be worthwhile you attending the Wiltshire Event at Devizes in Wiltshire, where there is always a large turnout of all sorts of Geocachers. Especially as this will be the Christmas event as well. There are thousands of caches around Devizes as well, so you could easily get people Geocaching. Many cache and then go to the function. have a look at the attendance at previous functions and the broad spectrum of people from so many palaces attending. Just a suggestion ! <_<

Edited by Gralorn

Hello again all,

It's been a few months now but I've finished the project now and to anyone that is interested, they can find the complete documentary at:

It's certainly different to what I first thought I was going out to make but please take a look and see what you think!

Thanks for the suggestions and help I had from meeting various cachers to chat with and/or film.

-Tom

...but who was the male cacher?

M :D

Never mind who he is, he's too young for you :ph34r:

From the names I'm guessing a relative (Brother?) of Tom.

Really well made short film, well done.

Theres some brazen buggas in here :P:o ... I will have you know I am only 22 (my 18 year old son says I have been 21 for too long now :blink::ph34r:)

Seriously though a few folks are asking who the young lad is? You could be right though maybe his brother :unsure:

Edited by Us 4 and Jess

...but who was the male cacher?

Never mind who he is, he's too young for you :ph34r:

From the names I'm guessing a relative (Brother?) of Tom.

Really well made short film, well done.

Theres some brazen buggas in here :P:o ... I will have you know I am only 22 (my 18 year old son says I have been 21 for too long now :blink::ph34r:)

Seriously though a few folks are asking who the young lad is? You could be right though maybe his brother :unsure:

I can indeed confirm this was my brother (the man who originally introduced me to geocaching a number of years ago).

Thanks for the positive responses everyone! You all make films worth making.

-Tom

Very good film. Is that Dorsetgal and geodog?

Mind if I share on a few geocaching FB groups I'm in?

It certainly is, they seem to have quite an online reputation!

Please feel free to share this film, it helps me out in many ways!

Thanks again to everyone's kind words.

-Tom

Edited by Tom_Scott