Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
WebChimp

2M Simplex Frequency for Geocachers?

With the proliferation of inexpensive, handheld 2M and dual band radios, and the large number of mobile 2M (or dual band) radios in America, I propose an informal geocacher frequency of 146.730.

This is accessible to all classes of license, tech through extra. 2M is more common than 70cm, and 2M units are less expensive to buy and easier to install than HF.

Any thoughts on this?

KF5JOO

There was a discussion about this a while back, and the decision was if a frequency was used, it would be 147.555, however, many people were against the idea (they didn't want to monitor 2 frequencies, it and 146.520). I don't believe it was ever used much (we used it for W7G, the special event station at GeoWoodstock 8).

I believe that 146.730 is a repeater input frequency. Probably not a good choice for simplex.

-Sutter (Mr.Moo) KI6ZON

I suggest just finding out what the local repeater frequency is and putting out your call.

Up here in Canada 146.730 is the output frequency of a local repeater VE3TJU and I know of a few others on it as well.

146.520 would make sense and just pick a frequency for each event dependent on local situations.

VA3 KKJ

There is an additional option. Check out APRS: Automated Packet Reporting System.

With it, not only can others see your presence, you can also send a beacon that includes the frequency you are using. My favorite radio is the Kenwood TH-D72A. Someday I hope to own one myself. Another option is from Yaesu. Neither are cheap but that both serve the purpose.

Edited by Broncus

hello.

Ici en Suisse c'est en dehors de la bande (144-146MHz) Y a t'il des interressés à prévoir quelque chose?

73 de HB9FMC

Yep. This gets asked a couple of times a year.

I asked way back in 2002, and I got shot down then, too.

Take a look.

I don't use my radio much, but I personally think it would be cool to see this happen.:rolleyes::unsure:

I do not think a special frequency is necessary. Local repeater or 146.52 simplex calling frequency is the best option. There may be places where .52 is busy but not most places. In most places no one is listening to .52 and you may not get anyone on the repeaters either.

What would really be cool is to have some frequencies on HF where geocachers might find other geocachers, or maybe even have some geocaching nets.

I list on my KC2WI.net web site the local repeaters and some HF frequencies I hang out on, and also on the Northern New York Amateur Radio Association web site NNYARA.net most of the repeater frequencies in the Adirondacks.

What ticks me off is that I tried mentioning in cache write-ups the local repeater frequencies and sometimes providing local club web sites that list area repeaters, and the reviewers hassled me for having an agenda.

My "agenda" was to get ham geocachers in contact with each other. I don't see how that is a problem. If I got someone interested in ham radio that was a bonus because it meant that I might connect with more geocachers. It's not as if I had any commercial or political agenda.

Edited by KC2WI

I can see both sides of this. However, sticking with 146.52 will help ensure more ears are actually listening and using this already well known calling frequency. While your main interest of the day might be geocaching, monitoring 146.52 while doing so might just help save someone who is also using .52 while out hiking etc. Of course, 146.52 is just that...it's a calling frequency. Best amateur radio practice would be to then move up/down from .52 once you've estabilished contact.

But of course, the idea suggested of adding the local repeaters is also a good idea.

I also remember a few years ago I stumbled onto either an HF net or perhaps an Echolink node dedicated to geocaching.

Jerry

KD0BIK

...I also remember a few years ago I stumbled onto either an HF net or perhaps an Echolink node dedicated to geocaching.

A geocaching HF net would be cool. But what band/frequency? Probably 20M for coverage of the greatest distance but that would limit the possibility of geocachers close to each other making contact. Maybe regional 40 M nets. Question is, are there people willing to commit to being net control for a regular not? Probably not. Maybe we need to designate a few geocacher HF calling frequencies and times.

An alternative is to use existing service nets that are established for the purpose of providing a controlled frequency environment for making these kinds of contacts.

I listen and check in to East Coast Amateur Radio Service (ECARS) on 7.255 and Midwest Amateur Radio Service (MIDCARS) on 7.258 fairly regularly. Also occasionally to North Central Amateur Radio Service (NORCARS) on 7.197.

Just check in and announce that you are looking for other geocachers on frequency.

There is also South Coast Amateur Radio Service on 7.251 but they are generally too far away for me to hear. I don't know of any similar net on the west coast. There used to be a WESTCARS net but it disbanded.

Edited by KC2WI

I don't think I would use it for most radio, but... for those that simply want a method of talking about Geocaching in a 'radio' oriented environment. See the topic about Hamsphere on here.

That is a SIMULATED radio environment using the Internet... but might work for a specific subject.

There is also IRLP on real radio... but that would likely tie up many repeater systems if used.

Around here all the repeaters are linked, many permanently to one another and for me to chat that way would cover a huge area. It is dependant on the systems working, and not being in local use. True there are a bunch of hams who Geocache in that area to some degree, but since they seldom talk locally, I bet the wide ranging nets would not be that popular.

HF itself is limited for me, since we live in a building with a NO antenna rule, and an antiquated securtiy and fire system that is easy to trip even on vhf/uhf modes. I don't think anyone around here ever suppresses anything, and that makes even listening horrific. Add the mountains and things are highly blanked out.

Coordination of anything would be a pain, I think!

Doug 7rxc (VE7RXC)

In theory, good idea. But in practice, I'd rather monitor 146.520 for establishing contact in the backcountry. KISS principle for me. :D