Spot the mistake...

http://youtu.be/l_2mPrl1TZc

Please leave a comment on YouTube, let them know they are tubes.

If Bear Grylls was caching he'd probably use dynamite.

A couple hikes into the wilds, then randomly digs up a square of sod? The lock-n-lock was right there under that grass plug :rolleyes:. And right next to a rock formation that you'd think might be a great place to hide a container. Then they got drunk. That's a "Geo Cacher at heart"... :laughing:

Edited by kunarion

How many fleece's and T-shirts would they sell if they showed the truth? A string of mouldy film pots hidden every five hundred feet behind street signs and in phone boxes? ph34r.gif

Forgive me if I don't boycott them or burn my socks!

Jonovich

There are so many things that you don't seem to "get", that I can't begin to comment. I'm surprised you've persisted in geocaching for so long if it's like that (I wouldn't). Why not take up searching for buried treasure instead? Apparently it's called "Geo Caching", which sounds a bit similar but according to the video is quite different. You'll need a folding spade.

Herewith the text of the e-mail I received:

As a company we sincerely apologise for the misrepresentation of geocaching that has occurred in our lifestyle video: Craghoppers - Software Developer by day, Geo Cacher at heart.

It was never our intention to falsely represent any of the activities depicted in the videos. We recognise that with a little more research we would never have been filmed geocaching in this way.

We've removed all videos showing the team digging up the geocache and for any future projects any depiction of outdoor hobbies will be scrutinised by the relevant experts prior to filming and publication. We appreciate your passionate response and with the proposed actions above we will make every effort to ensure that this won't happen again.

We’re sorry you feel that we’ve let you down and hope that you will continue your custom with us.

Kind Regards

Jim McNamara

Managing Director

I also got an apology from them. I posted on their Facebook wall.

Craghoppers. Malcom, a lack of research for our geocaching video has resulted in a misrepresentation of the hobby. We've removed the video and supporting material and are working on a re-edit to be approved asap.

We've so sorry that this has happened, please see our promoted post for the official statement of apology from Jim our MD. Please let us know if there's anything more we can do! Thanks

about a minute ago · Like

I think it might be better if the GAGB got in touch with them and explained why the video is wrong.

Have posted on the GAGB Forum so we shall have to wait and see.

Sorry, I missed this forum thread.

I did email Craghoppers early on Monday morning (didn't want to get it lost in all the others on Sunday evening!) and got a very nice reply from the Managing Director (Jim McNamara) later that day.

Thank you for your email this morning regarding our promotional video featuring geocaching.

You are correct in your assumption that we have had plenty of emails and comments over the last 24 hours , what a passionate bunch of people ! The video was indeed models and was set up to promote our clothing range and the many activities it can be used for !

I sincerely apologise for any upset that this incorrect representation of geocaching has brought, the video has now been removed from U tube and will not be used again.

As a company we are very passionate about the environment and in future we will endeavour to make sure that all parties involved in our brand, do the necessary research before we publish anything.

Once again thank you for your informative email and i hope that you will accept this apology in good faith.

Kate from Craghoppers has joined the GAGB Facebook group and has been interacting with the cachers. The video has been re-edited and she added a link to the group so it could be previewed/commented on before it went public.

So in the end a good outcome ...... and hopefully the start of a relationship between geocacaching/GAGB and Craghoppers :)

The video has been re-edited and she added a link to the group so it could be previewed/commented on before it went public.

Now it's good, except for addition of a steam shovel. :grin:

(OK, I haven't seen the new edit :anicute:).

All they have to do is clip out 2 seconds where they're digging up the lawn, and it's perfect. It makes me want to go find that Geocache, and that cute lady. And the pub. Oh, yeah, and wear clothes (whatever they're advertising).

The video has been re-edited and she added a link to the group so it could be previewed/commented on before it went public.

All they have to do is clip out 2 seconds where they're digging up the lawn, and it's perfect. It makes me want to go find that Geocache, and that cute lady. And the pub. Oh, yeah, and wear clothes (whatever they're advertising).

Yes... "wear clothes"... a good decision, especially on moorland in the north of England, kunarion. Especially if you're a bit of a craghopper, leaping from rock to rock... yep, definitely "wear clothes".

MrsB

Yes... "wear clothes"... a good decision, especially on moorland in the north of England, kunarion. Especially if you're a bit of a craghopper, leaping from rock to rock... yep, definitely "wear clothes".

MrsB

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

All,

Thanks so much for your animated and passionate response to the Craghoppers Geocaching video. My name's Kate and I am the Web Content Manager at Craghoppers.

Please see our official statement of apology from the MD Jim McNamara:

As a company we sincerely apologise for the misrepresentation of geocaching that has occurred in our lifestyle video: Craghoppers - Software Developer by day, Geo Cacher at heart.

It was never our intention to falsely represent any of the activities depicted in the videos. We recognise that with a little more research we would never have been filmed geocaching in this way.

We've removed all videos showing the team digging up the geocache and for any future projects any depiction of outdoor hobbies will be scrutinised by the relevant experts prior to filming and publication.

We appreciate your passionate responses and with the proposed actions above we will make every effort to ensure that this won't happen again.

Kind Regards

Jim McNamara

Please see a new version of the video that we re-edited earlier this week, please forgive the spelling error; the graphics editor isn’t available until early next week. We look forward to your approval so that (once graphics are corrected) we can re-post.

Thanks again everyone

Kate Holroyd

Web Content Manager, Craghoppers

Edited by kateholroyd

I'm not sure that it works quite as well as the original, but from a geocaching point of view I don't now have a problem with it. Well done for handling this issue so well.

I suspect you're surprised that this mistake generated such a vociferous response, but the fact is that the digging issue is one of the few things that we're all likely to get incensed about.

All,

Thanks so much for your animated and passionate response to the Craghoppers Geocaching video. My name's Kate and I am the Web Content Manager at Craghoppers.

Please see our official statement of apology from the MD Jim McNamara:

We've removed all videos showing the team digging up the geocache and for any future projects any depiction of outdoor hobbies will be scrutinised by the relevant experts prior to filming and publication.

We appreciate your passionate responses and with the proposed actions above we will make every effort to ensure that this won't happen again.

Kind Regards

Jim McNamara

Please see a new version of the video that we re-edited earlier this week, please forgive the spelling error; the graphics editor isn’t available until early next week. We look forward to your approval so that (once graphics are corrected) we can re-post.

Thanks again everyone

Kate Holroyd

Web Content Manager, Craghoppers

Thats nice but how come I always get 10 time muddier than that!

PS - also nice to see who the nominated driver is at the end.