Modern Day Gold Mining

Bonaro

I do a lot of prospecting for gold. This includes navigating to locations harvested from old maps and the staking of actual mining claims in the middle of nowhere.

I have a Garmin 60CSx with Mapsource topo maps and it serves me well except I cannot easily make it do one important task

I need to create a calculated way point, plot it on the map and then navigate to it so I can plant a post in the ground. Here is the scenario.

I am standing at a post in the ground (or working from a saved waypoint) and I want to create a new way point which is 1320 feet away on a heading of 90 degrees (due east in this example). Then from that way point I want to project the next way point 660 feet @ 180 degrees (south. the goal is to create a rectangular area which is 1320 x 660 or 20 acres in size.

being able to do this both in the field and in the office is a huge benefit.

How is it done?

You can project a waypoint on the 60, mapsource does not have that facility. You could try to use the distance tool in mapsource, but it is klutzy.

I have bumbled around with projecting a waypoint and the process is very painful with lots of trial and error.

Can you give a short tutorial on how it should be done?