Puzzles caches at Rest Area's

313JTG

In my opinion caches at rest stops should take only a few minutes. Otherwise, they annoy the other folks travelling with you or you just don't have the time to work a multi or puzzle. I would most likely skip a puzzle. I might take the time to do an offset cache, but this is about as hard and long as I want to work at a rest stop. Peoria Bill :)

Why do so many people posting to this seem to think that you would only solve the puzzle on site? Why not either solve it before you leave on your trip, or (depending on the puzzle and the people you have with you) along the way?

or, realize there is a puzzle there, think it's interesting and solve it when you are at your destination. Then you can find the cache on your way home. Bonus, you have another cache to find while you're returning. :anitongue:

On another note; I would think that most rest areas are private property or managed by a contractor or private authority. So, shouldn't there be proper permission to hide a cache there in the first place?

I wouldn't play Frisbee in the parking lot of a rest area, so should there really be a cache there? :ph34r:

I would tend to agree that rest areas should be traditionals or quick multis or easy field puzzles and the like. If its a rest area, the traffic will be so high, why limit it to local puzzle solvers or the few chaps who will study a route in advance for puzzles.

I disagree with the prior poster about permission in a rest area. Am sure every state is different but I have not heard of any rest stops in Washington requiring permission in advance to hide a cache. Its open to the public. I would play frisbee at a rest stop. Only public places silly enough to stop frisbees are some California beaches I have heard on the news.

I would tend to agree that rest areas should be traditionals or quick multis or easy field puzzles and the like. If its a rest area, the traffic will be so high, why limit it to local puzzle solvers or the few chaps who will study a route in advance for puzzles.

I disagree with the prior poster about permission in a rest area. Am sure every state is different but I have not heard of any rest stops in Washington requiring permission in advance to hide a cache. Its open to the public. I would play frisbee at a rest stop. Only public places silly enough to stop frisbees are some California beaches I have heard on the news.

I agree. Plus there are already caches at most rest stops and there has been no problem with them. I think rest areas are some of the best places to hide a cache as they're rarely muggled despite so much traffic. :ph34r:

In my opinion caches at rest stops should take only a few minutes. Otherwise, they annoy the other folks travelling with you or you just don't have the time to work a multi or puzzle. I would most likely skip a puzzle. I might take the time to do an offset cache, but this is about as hard and long as I want to work at a rest stop. Peoria Bill :)

Why do so many people posting to this seem to think that you would only solve the puzzle on site? Why not either solve it before you leave on your trip, or (depending on the puzzle and the people you have with you) along the way?

Unless the posted bogus coords are also in the rest stop, or very close to the route, it will never make it on my Bookmark list for the trip. I simply don't have time to leave the highway unless there are a lot of favorite points on a cache during most road trips.

Unless the posted bogus coords are also in the rest stop, or very close to the route, it will never make it on my Bookmark list for the trip. I simply don't have time to leave the highway unless there are a lot of favorite points on a cache during most road trips.

You get the Gold Star for the best point made today. I guess I would have to say the same, come to think of it!

While I don't really think it's that cut and dried, I would assume that the posted coordinates would, in fact, be in or near the rest stop for just that reason. Where else?

While I don't really think it's that cut and dried, I would assume that the posted coordinates would, in fact, be in or near the rest stop for just that reason. Where else?

I usually round to the nearest minute when placing me puzzles, but I had to adjust this one into making so it appeared at the rest stop. The only drawback was the posted minutes were "25.200 and 21.000" while the final was "25.222 and 21.001". Basically, if you were to just check out GZ at the original coordinates, you'd probably find the cache :ph34r:

My cache got rejected on the south side, so I'm going up there today to see if the north bound side has enough space, which it should because it's much bigger.

I usually round to the nearest minute when placing me puzzles, but I had to adjust this one into making so it appeared at the rest stop.

Of course a lot of puzzle caches have rounded coordinates, but naturally there are always other considerations. (Around here, the main problem would be that all the puzzle caches would stack on top of each other, since there are so many.)

The only drawback was the posted minutes were "25.200 and 21.000" while the final was "25.222 and 21.001". Basically, if you were to just check out GZ at the original coordinates, you'd probably find the cache :ph34r:

The rest stops I'm thinking of are fairly big places. If the one you're aiming at is so small that geosense would make solving the puzzle unnecessary, then I have to admit you have a problem. But at least that will make people worried about a puzzle cache in a rest stop happier!