Puzzles caches at Rest Area's

313JTG

I've hidden two puzzle caches under LPC's so far, but now that I have my GPS, I'd like to place a cache somewhere other than under a skirt. I live not too far away from a rest area off a major interstate which already has two caches. However, considering the 528 feet rule, there is enough space to place one more cache.

My question is, would placing a puzzle cache at a rest area be good or bad for travelers? I love being able to stretch my legs and find a cache far from home on a road trip, but the caches are always traditional. Obviously, the locals could easily ride up to the rest area, but could travelers be able to solve the puzzle?

I planned on making it a sudoku variation, tridoku. It's a cool game I discovered yesterday where there are nine triangles instead of nine squares. I have my puzzle all worked out and now I just need coordinates to set it up. Therefore, no having to use the internet to look stuff up, it's something you could easily solve in the car. What do you think?

I'm not a huge puzzle fan, but I do enjoy caches placed in rest stops.

I wouldn't want to take the time to solve a puzzle while I am on a road trip.

If the puzzle is on the cache page and can be solved before arriving on site it might get done.

It all depends on how often you want your cache to be found. There are other places in rest stops besides LP's for cache hides. I predict your cache will get found far less often than the other two if you make it into a puzzle.

Edited by wimseyguy

I'm not a huge puzzle fan, but I do enjoy caches placed in rest stops.

I wouldn't want to take the time to solve a puzzle while I am on a road trip.

If the puzzle is on the cache page and can be solved before arriving on site it might get done.

It all depends on how often you want your cache to be found. There are other places in rest stops besides LP's for cache hides. I predict your cache will get found far less often than the other two if you make it into a puzzle.

A good puzzle cacher solves the puzzles along his travel route ahead of time, so he won't have to puzzle during a road trip.

It's true that puzzle caches are found less often than others, though. A lot of cachers are in it for the easy grabs or simply don't know where to start puzzling.

Since you're trying to create a sudoku variant cache, chances are the fact it's a puzzle will have less impact than usual, because most people know how to solve this type of puzzle by now.

I'm probably in the minority on this, but I would not solve a puzzle to lift a lampskirt, and sign a micro. How would I even know this? If I personally suspect a local puzzle listed as a micro is in a store parking lot, I will wait until someone I know solves and finds it, and ask them that general question. That being said, I'm a huge College Football fan, and I like your Michigan vs. Ohio State puzzle!

But for the basic question, I think I'd go with the opinion that an Interstate Rest Stop should be left "open" for a traditional cache. People love Highway Rest Stop caches, and you'd pretty much be taking up real estate. I don't know, is this rest stop big enough for two caches?

My question is, would placing a puzzle cache at a rest area be good or bad for travelers? I love being able to stretch my legs and find a cache far from home on a road trip, but the caches are always traditional. Obviously, the locals could easily ride up to the rest area, but could travelers be able to solve the puzzle?

I planned on making it a sudoku variation, tridoku. It's a cool game I discovered yesterday where there are nine triangles instead of nine squares. I have my puzzle all worked out and now I just need coordinates to set it up. Therefore, no having to use the internet to look stuff up, it's something you could easily solve in the car. What do you think?

A solve at home puzzle is something that would only appeal to the local cachers or cachers that are visiting family in the area. So, I'm not sure that would be something that is appealing to the traveler on the go. Now a puzzle cache where you gather information from a plaque at the rest stop; something that is quick and easy, something that a kid can complete, would be very cool and would definitely be something I would do.

The Tridoku is pretty cool, I haven't seen those yet, however, that is something I would have to print out and solve, so I don't think I would catch that if I was traveling. Nor is it unlikely I'll have my portable ink-jet printer with me. <_<

A solve at home puzzle is something that would only appeal to the local cachers or cachers that are visiting family in the area. So, I'm not sure that would be something that is appealing to the traveler on the go. Now a puzzle cache where you gather information from a plaque at the rest stop; something that is quick and easy, something that a kid can complete, would be very cool and would definitely be something I would do.

The Tridoku is pretty cool, I haven't seen those yet, however, that is something I would have to print out and solve, so I don't think I would catch that if I was traveling. Nor is it unlikely I'll have my portable ink-jet printer with me. <_<

I have done a couple or three of those and I do enjoy them. Just don't make it too complex and it will get plenty of visits.

You can always make a simple field puzzle where they have to gather info at the site to find the cache. Doesn't have to be hard. But be forewarned some people will see the puzzle icon and skip it thinking it would require too much time. Good on you for setting out a new cache.
Collecting data in the field to find a final cache would be a multi and not a puzzle...

I find it surprising that so many people don't even try puzzles. Whenever I visit a new places, I don't automatically exclude puzzle caches from any queries. I give them a good look and see if I can solve them ahead of time. Yes, in my case solving puzzle caches tends not to be a spontaneous affair, but if I can solve it, I pick it up.

Also, A fantastic cache combines a good puzzle with a fantastic hide in a good location. A mere good one has one or two of these qualities.

I'd lift a lamp skirt to find a cache if the location of the cache is great in some other way or if a great puzzle brought me there.

When I do a PQ for caches outside of my area I don't even include Puzzles caches so I would never see your cache.

Eh, I will occasionally look at local puzzles when going out of town, and have even been known to solve them if they're pretty easy. But I agree with the basic premise of your post, I believe most people don't even look at puzzles while traveling.

The best multi I've seen is at a rest stop. It's a 4 stage that starts with getting info from a plaque, then has two very clever, and challenging hides before finding an ammo can. Took me about a half hour or 45 minutes, but I wasn't in any hurry to get home.

My take on it is that the people who have time will really appreciate a good challenge. The ones who don't will skip it.

Even if it's only found a quarter of the times that the two traditional's are, some will still go for it.

Collecting data in the field to find a final cache would be a multi and not a puzzle...

PO-TAY-TO, PO-TAH-TO!

It's a puzzle, dude, an easy field puzzle. Unless the co-ordinates to the final are somehow plainly cast into the memorial plaque (which would be cool). :P

For a multi, the co-ordinates should be plainly written out..no adding subtracting or re-arranging involved.

And back on topic:

I would quickly find the other two caches at the rest stop, and move on. I'm not interested in any sort of doku while on a road trip (actually I'm not interested in any sort of doku at anytime whatsoever, but especially not while on a road trip).

One thing I've seen around here ... for rest stops that already have a couple of traditional hides, the third cache is often a challenge cache of some sort. The ones I've seen tend to have a traveling theme --- appropriate for a cache found while traveling. Again, it wouldn't get as many visits, but it would certainly be different. It might be something else to consider.

I live not too far away from a rest area off a major interstate which already has two caches. However, considering the 528 feet rule, there is enough space to place one more cache.

My question is, would placing a puzzle cache at a rest area be good or bad for travelers?

I don't see how making it a puzzle cache is going to help with your proximity issues. Its the final of the mystery that is important to the 528 foot rule, not the posted coordinates.

That said, I think a puzzle that can be solved by things along the way... on the drive to the rest area... might be especially interesting, especially for a traveling family. Less like a puzzle and more like a driving game.

PO-TAY-TO, PO-TAH-TO!

It's a puzzle, dude, an easy field puzzle. Unless the co-ordinates to the final are somehow plainly cast into the memorial plaque (which would be cool). :P

For a multi, the co-ordinates should be plainly written out..no adding subtracting or re-arranging involved.

I know that guidelines allow a multi to be an offset, but I agree, if you need to do any kind of math or need the print out (or smart phone) to read the cache description, this cache should be listed as a ?

A multi should just require your GPS and Geosense. But that's my opinion. Perhaps the offset concept listed as a multi is becoming more accepted.

Anyway ...

... I think a puzzle that can be solved by things along the way... on the drive to the rest area... might be especially interesting, especially for a traveling family. Less like a puzzle and more like a driving game.

Wow, that's a very interesting idea. I think there can be a interesting concept here and sounds like fun.

Yeah, I think it would be great. Traditional caches in rest stops are a great opportunity for travelers to get a chance to find a quick cache. I always solve puzzles in areas I'm visiting, but too often they're somewhere off the beaten track, intended as a good cache for people with local knowledge. There's nothing wrong with that, and I've found several of those, and it's a great chance to pick up some local knowledge! But I'd also enjoy solving a puzzle and then discovering it would be easy to stop for as I'm driving through without getting off the freeway.

Some people have suggested gathering info at the rest stop. That can also be fun, but I like it better when I know before I leave home where the final is. If I don't know for sure the final is actually in the rest stop, I'm less likely to stop and find out.

I know that guidelines allow a multi to be an offset, but I agree, if you need to do any kind of math or need the print out (or smart phone) to read the cache description, this cache should be listed as a ?

A multi should just require your GPS and Geosense. But that's my opinion. Perhaps the offset concept listed as a multi is becoming more accepted.

Since when did the definition of a traditional or multi change to "must be findable without reading the cache page"?

I don't recall this ever being a part of the description, yet as long as I've been caching the offset has been described as a type of multi-cache.

Since when did the definition of a traditional or multi change to "must be findable without reading the cache page"?

I don't recall this ever being a part of the description, yet as long as I've been caching the offset has been described as a type of multi-cache.

Will agree here. (Need to mark the day in red on the calendar.) Collecting numbers from a sign to determined the final coords is a multi. I had one originally listed as a mystery. When I had to archive it, the new one is listed as a multi.

Mysteries and multis will be found far less often. I was working on part of a series recently. The multi had far less than half the finds.

When I plan a trip, I do check out the mystery caches in the area. Three or four of my finds in Newfoundland were mystery caches. (Solved another, but did not have the opportunity to search for it.) So, yes. I enjoy mystery caches on my trips, but only if they are fairly easy to find. And if I am willing to stop for a traditional in a rest stop, I will stop for a mystery as well.

Sadly there is no plaque at this rest area. I came up with a puzzle anyway and since I had a couple of zeros in the final location, I put the tridoku aside for now and changed it to a different puzzle that doesn't require you to look up anything. It's trickier, but still solvable on the go. If the other rest area has enough space, I'll consider some kind of multi next time I seek a spot for a cache

... I think a puzzle that can be solved by things along the way... on the drive to the rest area... might be especially interesting, especially for a traveling family. Less like a puzzle and more like a driving game.

Wow, that's a very interesting idea. I think there can be a interesting concept here and sounds like fun.

However, probably best to avoid things like, "subtract the registration year of the car that just passed you from the north coordinates..." and "how many cows were in the field to the south?" :lol:

I can see the pros of each side here. I would generally say avoid placing a puzzle at a rest stop because people who stop there are generally in a hurry. That being said since there are already other caches there, a puzzle may be a nice addition. Just make sure to make it one that can be solved quick and easy at the rest stop and one that does not require the use of a checker link.

Will agree here. (Need to mark the day in red on the calendar.) Collecting numbers from a sign to determined the final coords is a multi. I had one originally listed as a mystery. When I had to archive it, the new one is listed as a multi.

Mysteries and multis will be found far less often. I was working on part of a series recently. The multi had far less than half the finds.

When I plan a trip, I do check out the mystery caches in the area. Three or four of my finds in Newfoundland were mystery caches. (Solved another, but did not have the opportunity to search for it.) So, yes. I enjoy mystery caches on my trips, but only if they are fairly easy to find. And if I am willing to stop for a traditional in a rest stop, I will stop for a mystery as well.

Yeah, I own two caches where you have to get info from signs and do math, multiple times. They're both listed as multis.

If the posted coords are bogus, it should be listed as a puzzle. If there is something to find at the posted coords it should be posted as a multi, even if that something is just a plaque with numbers that need to be used and tweaked to find the next stage.

I'd prefer that the option to enjoy a quick rest stop cache while traveling remain a traditional hide, but you can do what you like here as long as you meet the guidelines. Just don't come back in six months complaining that the other two caches are being found weekly while yours only gets found occasionally.

If the posted coords are bogus, it should be listed as a puzzle. If there is something to find at the posted coords it should be posted as a multi, even if that something is just a plaque with numbers that need to be used and tweaked to find the next stage.

I'm not trying to be "picky" here (really!), and I agree the above is generally true. Certainly If the posted coords are bogus, it should be listed as a puzzle.

The other part "If there is something to find at the posted coords" would usually be a multi (or traditional), but I think it could also be listed as a puzzle. For example, there is something to find at the posted coordinates, but the instructions about what to do with that information are on the web page written in some ciphertext which needs to be decrypted (ideally before you go to the cache). Or, even if it is just field puzzles, if the puzzles are challenging and/or some preparation might be needed, the owner may want to list it as a puzzle even if there is a stage at the posted coords.

As for the original question - nothing wrong with putting a puzzle in such a location, though it will get far fewer finds than a traditional or even multi. I like puzzles and I will look in advance for puzzles in a location I'm traveling to. But I'm unlikely to prepare in advance for a puzzle in a rest area.

The definition hasn't changed, it's just that people often look for traditionals and even multi's without any preparation on-line back home. The unknown type can warn people that winging it isn't advisable. You don't have to use it if you enjoy the idea of people showing up at GZ, and then having no chance whatsoever of finding your cache because finding it requires a picture that's not available in the field.

I'm one of the few who solves puzzles near my destination while I'm traveling, but I solve puzzles only near my destination. I don't solve puzzles along the route. If I stop for a rest area cache, then I'm looking for a quick geocaching break, not an adventure. Mrs niraD is not a geocacher, and I don't want to make her wait.

I'm one of the few who solves puzzles near my destination while I'm traveling, but I solve puzzles only near my destination. I don't solve puzzles along the route. If I stop for a rest area cache, then I'm looking for a quick geocaching break, not an adventure. Mrs niraD is not a geocacher, and I don't want to make her wait.

I do the same. When constructing pocket queries I will usually filter out puzzle and multi caches but I'll also create a version of the PQ that I don't put into the run queue that *only* shows puzzles and multis. I can run a "preview" with that query and look over the results to see if there are any puzzles or multi caches I might want to solve and/or add manually to the list of caches that gets downloaded to my GPS.

I also like to breaks at rest stops and find a cache but one cache per rest stop is fine for me. I've been to a few rest stops with more than one cache but would rather just get on my way to my final destination and have the time it would take to find that extra cache there than finding more than one cache in what is essentially the same area.

You can always make a simple field puzzle where they have to gather info at the site to find the cache. Doesn't have to be hard. But be forewarned some people will see the puzzle icon and skip it thinking it would require too much time. Good on you for setting out a new cache.

I find it surprising that so many people don't even try puzzles. Whenever I visit a new places, I don't automatically exclude puzzle caches from any queries. I give them a good look and see if I can solve them ahead of time. Yes, in my case solving puzzle caches tends not to be a spontaneous affair, but if I can solve it, I pick it up.

Also, A fantastic cache combines a good puzzle with a fantastic hide in a good location. A mere good one has one or two of these qualities.

I'd lift a lamp skirt to find a cache if the location of the cache is great in some other way or if a great puzzle brought me there.

Field Puzzle: To be added to a cache page when the cache requires solving a puzzle during the activity of geocaching. Cache types: Mystery/Puzzle caches (Unknown).

I went ahead and placed the cache yesterday despite the mixed feedback. I'm not expecting as many visitors as the other caches, but one of the other caches has over 400 finds (including me) on it, so I figured why not just try something new. If this cache is rejected or within the first couple months hardly anyone has stopped by, I'm just going to archive it and work on my field puzzle cache I'm constructing. I'm finding it much harder to place caches when I can't just pick out a random lamp skirt.

Edited by SuhStomp90

However, probably best to avoid things like, "subtract the registration year of the car that just passed you from the north coordinates..." and "how many cows were in the field to the south?" :lol:

The second question would be okay as long as the answer was always zero, or perhaps there was a picture of a cow on a billboard.

I love puzzles, and I like rest areas, but I wouldn't do a puzzle in a rest area.

The 5 minute stop while everyone else goes to the bathroom, I spend looking for the cache(s). I skip the restroom just to look for the caches. They rest of my party does not want to wait while I do anything complicated or that takes more than a few minutes. Furthermore, if I do that work and fail, I will not be back to this rest area for months.

The caches I love most at rest areas are those that are big enough to hold TBs, as I am traveling and can help move them along (drop off, pick up) in the right direction.

However, I think your puzzle idea does sound cool. Try putting it in a local park and your locals will be happy to experience it (at least the ones who like puzzles).

I'm one of the few who solves puzzles near my destination while I'm traveling, but I solve puzzles only near my destination. I don't solve puzzles along the route.

Good point. My view on puzzle caches in rest stops is slightly skewed because the last time I was caching along a freeway was in central New Jersey where there are so few caches, I very nearly solved them all before looking to see whether I'd be anywhere near where they were.

If I stop for a rest area cache, then I'm looking for a quick geocaching break, not an adventure. Mrs niraD is not a geocacher, and I don't want to make her wait.

This doesn't rule out puzzle caches at rest stops, it just underscores my point that the puzzle should be something that can be solved in advance, not something that requires interacting with the environment in some way. If the cache is solved in advance, then the search on scene is exactly like a search for any traditional.

The OP's original idea struck me as perfect, in that the puzzle could be solved in advance, but if you wanted to solve a puzzle while taking your rest stop, it would work that way, too.

I recently took a drive from Vancouver, B.C. to the California border and ran a pocker query for the route and I selected only traditionals, I suspect a lot of people would do the same.

Yeah, that's for sure. A lot of people include only traditionals in all their PQs, not just their routed PQs. It's certainly something to consider, but not a good reason to not publish an unknown cache type if that's the kind of cache you want to publish.

PO-TAY-TO, PO-TAH-TO!

We have multi caches around here where you go to the coordinates, get an address off of a house and perform mathematical equations, some complex, on it to get the final coordinates. I asked the CO why he posted them as multis instead of puzzles and his answer was that the reviewer wouldn't let him. He was forced to use multi because by definition, they are, even if they have a puzzle aspect. I don't agree, but I'm not the one pushing the Publish button.

I live not too far away from a rest area off a major interstate which already has two caches. However, considering the 528 feet rule, there is enough space to place one more cache.

My question is, would placing a puzzle cache at a rest area be good or bad for travelers?

I don't see how making it a puzzle cache is going to help with your proximity issues. Its the final of the mystery that is important to the 528 foot rule, not the posted coordinates.

That said, I think a puzzle that can be solved by things along the way... on the drive to the rest area... might be especially interesting, especially for a traveling family. Less like a puzzle and more like a driving game.

Absolutely. It wouldn't appeal to me, but if there are two other caches for me to find, it's no big deal. I don't have kids, but if I did, the idea of handing them a puzzle to solve on the way would cut down on the "are we there yet" from the back seat. Great idea.

We have multi caches around here where you go to the coordinates, get an address off of a house and perform mathematical equations, some complex, on it to get the final coordinates. I asked the CO why he posted them as multis instead of puzzles and his answer was that the reviewer wouldn't let him. He was forced to use multi because by definition, they are, even if they have a puzzle aspect. I don't agree, but I'm not the one pushing the Publish button.

Obviously this is regional. In my area, what you're describing is not just a multi, it's a typical multi. Because of my previous experiences, what I expect from a multi is primarily that I need to start at the posted coordinates to gather some information. Where I cache, that information is usually existing numbers from the local environment, such as house numbers, and it's not uncommon for some arithmetic to be involved, sometimes complicated arithmetic. A few equations don't really amount to a puzzle around here. I take it in your area a multi always starts with something the CO's hidden at the posted coordinates with the coordinates for the next stage?

But, I'm surprised to hear he was forced to make it a multi. Now I don't know why he wouldn't want to make it a multi if the reviewer suggested it should be, but if he really had his heart set on making it unknown despite the reviewer's objections, I would have thought he could just push back by claiming that part of the puzzle was figuring out it was really just a multi. I'm thinking that what's going on here is that the reviewer's trying to get the local community's view of multi's more in line with how the rest of the world uses them.

In my opinion caches at rest stops should take only a few minutes. Otherwise, they annoy the other folks travelling with you or you just don't have the time to work a multi or puzzle. I would most likely skip a puzzle. I might take the time to do an offset cache, but this is about as hard and long as I want to work at a rest stop. Peoria Bill :)

In my opinion caches at rest stops should take only a few minutes. Otherwise, they annoy the other folks travelling with you or you just don't have the time to work a multi or puzzle. I would most likely skip a puzzle. I might take the time to do an offset cache, but this is about as hard and long as I want to work at a rest stop. Peoria Bill :)

Why do so many people posting to this seem to think that you would only solve the puzzle on site? Why not either solve it before you leave on your trip, or (depending on the puzzle and the people you have with you) along the way?

Why do so many people posting to this seem to think that you would only solve the puzzle on site? Why not either solve it before you leave on your trip, or (depending on the puzzle and the people you have with you) along the way?
I don't know about anyone else, but the way we choose which rest stop to stop at usually goes something like this:

"Do you want to stop here? It's 28 miles to the next one."

My geocaching at rest stops is almost 100% opportunistic. Once we've stopped, I check the app for traditional caches at the rest stop. If I have a few minutes and there's a traditional cache there, then I might search for it.

The only exception would be for local caches that are at local rest stops, but those are pretty rare.

Exactly. As I mentioned about a 1000 times in my forum posts on the site (I have a tendency to repeat things, lol) that I make a monthly trip up to Michigan and sometimes I plan out a couple of caches to grab. I have a PQ for my trip, but I always check the rest areas by scrolling up the map to my destination. Every trip, I always find one new cache that I want to check out that wasn't there before. Plus since I'm not the driver, I can solve puzzles in the car as long as I don't have to look anything up.

Agreed, although I do kind of the like the idea of a puzzle that can be solved while driving. Although billboards are not as common as the used to be, I could see gathering information between rest stops that could be used to derive a set of coordinates one you arrive. It's not much different than a multi that requires you to visit several locations to acquire a number that's part of the final coordinates, except that the coordinates for each "stage" would be on the highway where you can view a billboard, sign, or some easily identifiable feature as you're traveling along at 65MPH.