what is better than a 60CSx?

Bonaro

I have a 60CSx which has literally saved my life and never once let me down. however, it is older and I know how new tech brings improvement. I bought a Oregon 450 today and so far I am disappointed and am considering taking It back.

I was wanting a larger screen but the Oregon is almost exactly the same.

I was hoping for a smarter easier interface but it is only slightly better because of the touchscreen.

I was disappointed (not surprised) that I would need to shell out another $100 if I actually wanted a GPS with a map...apparently my mapsource is obsolete.

my questions:

1. is th Oregon truly better than my 60CSx and I need to give it more time?

2. should I sell my 60 and return my Oregon and buy a Montana?

I don't want to replace my 60 if I am only swapping apples for more expensive apples.

please help

Edited by Bonaro

Unless you are a geocacher, or want to use raster imagery like Birdseye, or want to wirelessly swap caches, or want your GPSr to talk to your heart rate monitor, you'll be swapping apples for more expensive apples. The newer units add a lot of features, but a 60csx will tell you where you are as well as the newer models.

I like the 62S. Same form as the 60.....A friend has a Montana and dang, that thing is big! Too big for a handheld unit in my opinion. And I have big hands.

Montana too big, but the 62s is not?

Checking Garmin specs for each unit, the Montana is a half inch wider, while the 62s is a half inch longer, and both are equal in depth.

Being roughly the same overall size, the 62s gives you a screen half the size of the Montana, with half the resolution due to much of that space being used up by buttons and antennae.... The Montana, on the other hand, is almost all screen, with many features not available on any other Garmin GPSr.

I do appreciate that for those who have spent so many years using the original GPSMap 60 series units the 62s will feel very natural and familiar.

I guess it just goes to show, you can't teach an old dog new tricks, eh?

is Montana worth the money?

I don't mind paying if it is truly worth it and is a remarkable improvement over my 60csx

I paid full price for my Montana 650 just over a year ago, and have not regretted it once. I still have my trusty Oregon 450 for backup, but I have yet to need it.

The Montana was on sale this weekend for as little as $399 USD... A fantastic price for a great GPSr!

Short Answer: YES!

The Montana is Garmins most advanced handheld GPSr. The Montana has many features not available on any other GPSr, Garmin or otherwise.

But no 'Wherigo' feature.

Wherigo has not been maintained, updated or improved in any form by Groundspeak for more than four years now...

So, who cares?

But they are still accepted and 'Published'. Two in our area this last week.

Edited by HEADLANDERS

I had a 60Cx for many years and loved it. Awesome GPSr. It died a few months ago and I had to decide what to replace it with. The units I considered were, another 60Cx bought off eBay, a 62 Series, or the Montana. I use my GPS mostly on a motorcycle. The Montana is pretty expensive but it does have a power connector that is much more rugged than the mini-USB connectors on the 62 Series. The old 60Cx had a special 4-pin power plug that was almost as good as a lanyard but I looked around and couldn't find one for less than about $300 so I finally decided on the Montana. I'm very happy with it. The huge screen and the power connector sold me.

Thee are some issues, learning curve issues mostly, when moving from the 60Cx and Mapsource to the Montana and Basecamp. Basecamp is still under development and it has bugs but overall it's vastly more powerful than Mapsource. Mapsource is an obsolete product will not be updated while Garmin offers new Basecamp releases every few months so in time most bugs will be resolved.

As for accuracy, the units are comparable. My 60Cx amazed me when I first moved from an eTrex -- I could get a signal inside of a building! The eTrex lost signal in the forest where I needed it most. I hear the Montana has lots of geocaching features as well but I don't geocache so they're only peripherally interesting to me.

I have owned a half dozen GPS's and not once has one failed and I needed a backup so I suppose that's not a good argument for keeping it. I am having a lot of hesitation about selling it because it's such a solid machine but I need the money to offset the cost of the Montana... :huh:

The labels wear off the buttons after a while, especially if you live in mosquito country and use DEET. (I operate mine with muscle memory; thank goodness for the brain stem.)

In addition to that, my original 60Cx also has a scratched screen, a broken-off eyelet membrane beside the antenna (Garmin's appendix), a power button that needs a mighty push before it registers, a loose back for some reason (hardly waterproof), and finally an antenna cover that pops off occasionally. But it still works! It's my travel unit.

Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.

I had a 60Cx for many years and loved it. Awesome GPSr. It died a few months ago ....

What kind of death did your 60cx suffer ? I have a 60csx that works fine but it has some cosmetic issues with the case.

Would you be looking to sell your non-working 60cx ?

the3Gmen

It will not locate satellites. I tried many fixes, but the internal firmware is stuck at version 0.00, apparently a well known bug, and it refuses to update although both Webupdater and manual firmware updates report success. The lettering is worn off the buttons too. I'm in Thailand for the next few months so it would be expensive to ship it anywhere, especially considering that it's dead LOL. I think I would have been happy using it for years more but it was not to be. The case is okay but very worn (the antenna "leg" where you would attach a lanyard is gone) but the screen looks good as it's had a Zagg Invisible Shield on it for a long time.

If you're still interested, make me an offer. Shipping would take about 3 weeks and cost maybe $20, not sure. Contact me through email daveswarthout at gmail dot com

I had a 60Cx for many years and loved it. Awesome GPSr. It died a few months ago ....

What kind of death did your 60cx suffer ? I have a 60csx that works fine but it has some cosmetic issues with the case.

the3Gmen

It will not locate satellites. I tried many fixes, but the internal firmware is stuck at version 0.00, apparently a well known bug, and it refuses to update although both Webupdater and manual firmware updates report success. The lettering is worn off the buttons too. I'm in Thailand for the next few months so it would be expensive to ship it anywhere, especially considering that it's dead LOL. I think I would have been happy using it for years more but it was not to be. The case is okay but very worn (the antenna "leg" where you would attach a lanyard is gone) but the screen looks good as it's had a Zagg Invisible Shield on it for a long time.

If you're still interested, make me an offer. Shipping would take about 3 weeks and cost maybe $20, not sure. Contact me through email daveswarthout at gmail dot com

I'll give it some thought and let you know.

By the way, the "antenna leg" as you call it was never intended as a lanyard attachment. As you probably found out when it broke it is just rubber.

the3Gmen

By the way, the "antenna leg" as you call it was never intended as a lanyard attachment. As you probably found out when it broke it is just rubber.

I never used a lanyard with that unit - the power plug serves that purpose well I would think seeing as it requires quite a tug to pull it free LOL

But I was under the impression that it was made for that purpose. I stand corrected.

the3Gmen

I never used a lanyard with that unit - the power plug serves that purpose well I would think seeing as it requires quite a tug to pull it free LOL

But I was under the impression that it was made for that purpose. I stand corrected.

I've had a 60CSx for 2.5 years and was always (well, almost) satisfied with this GPS.

The one point I wasn't satisfied about was it's rotation of the map. When I was walking to a waypoint/cache, the map was more than once upside down. This year I bought a 62S and this GPS is much better and more accurate, closer to ground zero (at least, that is my experience). Seem like the processor is much faster because the map is always rotating correctly.

For me, the 62S is the best GPS there is. :grin:

when are you going to be back from Thailand ? Where would you be shipping from then ? I'm in Massachusetts in the United States.

Since the electronics aren't working I don't really know what to offer for your 60cx. It would be nice to have an extra shell/screen but I don't know what it would be worth.

the3Gmen

the3Gmen

when are you going to be back from Thailand ? Where would you be shipping from then ? I'm in Massachusetts in the United States.

Since the electronics aren't working I don't really know what to offer for your 60cx. It would be nice to have an extra shell/screen but I don't know what it would be worth.

This is the GPS and Technology forum, not the Garage Sale forum.

Can you guys do this privately, perhaps via PM?