Blurry Main Pictures

Recently, I noticed that pictures uploaded in "Portrait" format are becoming very blurry in the automatic downsize process for the default picture. That even happens, when uploading a small picture in the size of the default picture (250 pix high).

Last week, I almost declined a waymark because of its "Blurry cell phone picture", but fortunately, I noticed that the original picture in the gallery was as crisp as can be.

Is there a way around this problem (In some categories, like flag poles or columns it is unavoidable to have tall standing pictures.)

...But GS does not fix it. Why? I don't know!

-> Resource limitations for Waymarking at Groundspeak.

Bryan wrote on the 07-29-2011, 10:56 AM:

"Here is some information.

We wouldn’t call it life support. However, Waymarking, like some other Groundspeak projects, has admittedly not received the attention it deserves. Although it may seem as if nothing is going on at all, we have made some efforts to improve the site. Like you, we know it is not ideal and perhaps our limited effort has been misplaced on things that you don’t consider important (ie. scavenger hunts).

Unfortunately, with limited revenue generated from the site, and a relatively small development team, our focus as a business has been on development of the geocaching.com site and associated tools (mobile, api, replacing virtuals, etc.). These are projects that produce a financial return, allowing us to grow our community support team, internal infrastructure, and development resources. As we use current revenue to grow, we believe we can reach a point when we can devote more resources to Waymarking (and Wherigo). It is taking time but it continues to be a prominent discussion internally at Groundspeak.

According to Google Analytics, Waymarking.com receives over 550,000 unique visits to the site each month. This is a lot of people and we believe that there are opportunities for the site to succeed both financially and as an ongoing toolset for the community. We didn't really focus on ways to generate revenue when we built the site. We built it because we think it’s cool. But now, with limited resources, revenue needs to be a consideration so that we can justify additional effort and focus. We are currently exploring additional advertising options and data licensing options and we are open to any suggestions you may have.

So, what’s next? Well, there are some things that we know we need to do for Waymarking. Pocket Queries, Send to GPS, and an API are a few of the important ones. It wouldn’t be fair to promise these features for the near short term, but we do plan to get there. What we don’t plan to do is just shut down the site and have all of you lose the time, effort, and data you’ve contributed. With so many people using the site each month, it just doesn’t make sense to consider shutting it down. Rather, we need to identify ways to generate revenue (either from Waymarking or other projects) so that we can add more resources and continue moving forward with the project.

So, for now, feel free to call it life support if you wish. But know that we do not intend to give up on the patient."

Let us look ahead positively. :grin:

-> Resource limitations for Waymarking at Groundspeak.

Bryan wrote on the 07-29-2011, 10:56 AM:

We wouldn’t call it life support. However, Waymarking, like some other Groundspeak projects, has admittedly not received the attention it deserves.

. . .

Unfortunately, with limited revenue generated from the site, and a relatively small development team, our focus as a business has been on development of the geocaching.com site and associated tools (mobile, api, replacing virtuals, etc.). These are projects that produce a financial return, allowing us to grow our community support team, internal infrastructure, and development resources.

. . .

Well, there are some things that we know we need to do for Waymarking[/color]. Pocket Queries, Send to GPS, and an API are a few of the important ones. . . . With so many people using the site each month, it just doesn’t make sense to consider shutting it down. Rather, we need to identify ways to generate revenue (either from Waymarking or other projects) so that we can add more resources and continue moving forward with the project."

Let us look ahead positively. :grin:

I am a newbie, but I have to think that with the hundreds of waymarks added each week there HAS to be value in what we do -- even if the vast majority of our waymarks will NEVER see a visit. I will take Lumbricus's words to heart and Look Ahead Positively -- I think WM has a future, and its best days are still ahead.

Plus, I am having fun with it right now :)

There are some real constraints on development of the Waymarking.com arm of the Groundspeak collection of GPS-related activities. But the top people at Groundspeak are tremendously dedicated to Waymarking.com and are enthusiastic about what we have accomplished so far.

I do think that implementing some of the top feature requests would boost Waymarking.com further toward the point where there might be some possibility of it carrying its own weight. PQ's and an API are definitely at the top of that list.

So, what may be lacking is NOT due to lack of interest or enthusiasm, but from lack of resources.

Suggestions for helping Waymarking.com contribute to the revenue stream that supports Groundspeak would certainly be welcome, I think.