Geocaching Nuvi

Roman!

I do have a hand held but recently bought a Nuvi to help me drive to the area.

First was the 2555LM but I had problems everytime I loaded a new GPX file it would freeze while 'loading maps'. I also didn't like the green pins it used for icons so I exchanged it.

Next was the 50LM, loved the Geocaching icons, loaded up great but if you wanted to clear your memory to las a new GPX file there was no delete all option, you had to do it one by one or reset the unit and wipe all user data.

Today I swapped it for the 2595LMT, hopefully ill have no issues loading GPX files but I'm still stuck with those green blob pin icons.

Just wonder what Car GPS you use and your experiences with it.

Edited by Roman!

I've been using the 2595 for two weeks now. I previously used and still have a Nuvi 755. I'm trying to like the 2595 but it is quite a PIA compared to the 755. I guess you just have to give it time to learn the layout.

You can't get around the green icons because those are the default icons for the unit. Garmin would have to change them out in a firmware upgrade.

Like all the other Nuvi's. You can load custom POIs into the 2595. The problem I've encountered is that the POIs seem to have a character limit, preventing a wordy cache description to load up completely. I don't have that problem with the 755 - it seems to handle any size cache description.

That would suck haveing to delete waypoints one at a time? The 755 and 2595 both have a delete-all option. I wonder if you can delete the gpx file from your computer when you connect your GPS in mass-storage mode?

Well he could but it won't help any as the nuvis keep the waypoint/favorite list in inaccessible memory. current.gpx is simply a one way copy so deleting it has no affect whatsoever :)

Only way on the nuvis to delete stuff is on the nuvi itself.

Incidentally I have a nuvi 1490 ... and that shows the caches as the normal 'gold chest'

Yes you're right about the memory. So far the 1490 looks like the best unit, I'll give my 2595 a chance, I can live with the green icons, I just hope it doesn't start freezing up like the 2555.

Just got a Nuvi 40LM to replace the 205W I'd been using. But, I only use it for driving to get to the cache location, and use a Dakota 20 for caching. Needed the 40LM for the map replacement. It was almost cheaper to buy it than to buy lifetime maps. And, there's always the thrill of picking up that box with the new unit inside :rolleyes:

Just got a Nuvi 40LM to replace the 205W I'd been using. But, I only use it for driving to get to the cache location, and use a Dakota 20 for caching. Needed the 40LM for the map replacement. It was almost cheaper to buy it than to buy lifetime maps. And, there's always the thrill of picking up that box with the new unit inside :rolleyes:

I'm assuming the 40 is like the 50 and the problem you'll encounter is if you want to load a new gpx file there are only 2 ways to clear the memory, deleting the caches 1 by 1 or resetting all user data.

We have a Nuvi 2450LM and we use POI Loader with GSAK & a macro.

A while back I had experimented with different methods of putting geocaches into the unit and I can't even begin to mention how or what.... but since we use GSAK already, searched macros, researched, and started doing it that way. The macro can be found in this forum. You are limited to the information (but with GSAK, you can somewhat customize it). All the icons are the same for everything (parking waypoints, geocaches, puzzles, stages of multis). There's supposed to be 'proximity' alerts, but I have yet to see them pop up even after changing settings in GSAK. That's OK....if we zoom in completely, we can see them pop up on the screen.

Do I wish it was more streamlined ? Sure...but its still a whole lot better than fumbling with a handheld trying to drive to GZ.

FYI (if you own a Nuvi)

Loading them in as POI's will allow you tens of thousands of caches to be loaded.

Loading them in as Favorites (different method) only allows about 1000 (and will delete any favorites you already have stored in the unit.

We use 780's for driving to a cache....I load the caches to the unit using GSAK...they will hold 500 and appear as caches on the map even when zoomed out ( this is not using the POI macro)....on long trips I will use the POI macro in addition which will hold the 30,000 or so caches I may seek out on the trip ( cache info. as well.)

We then bought a Nuvi 500 which is a real totally paperless unit for caching as well as driving.

Since getting paperless handhelds the 500 has been retired as I prefer driving to a cache with the 780.

We use 780's for driving to a cache....I load the caches to the unit using GSAK...they will hold 500 and appear as caches on the map even when zoomed out ( this is not using the POI macro)....on long trips I will use the POI macro in addition which will hold the 30,000 or so caches I may seek out on the trip ( cache info. as well.)

We then bought a Nuvi 500 which is a real totally paperless unit for caching as well as driving.

Since getting paperless handhelds the 500 has been retired as I prefer driving to a cache with the 780.

Took a quick look at that one but don't see a lifetime maps or traffic version though.

I'm assuming the 40 is like the 50 and the problem you'll encounter is if you want to load a new gpx file there are only 2 ways to clear the memory, deleting the caches 1 by 1 or resetting all user data.

That's not an issue as I only use if for driving, not caching. Wanted something that came with lifetime maps. And the I wanted the 40 for it's size as I keep in on a holder that goes into the lighter plug, so sits just above the shift lever. The less room it takes up the better!

I just got a 2595 and using GSAK was able to download a PQ to POI garmin program then to the GPS. Problem is they only show the cache name but no discribetion, even when I select a cache.

On my NUVI 360 I get a full listing just as on GSAK. Is there any way to make this work on the 2595.

I've been using the 2595 for two weeks now. I previously used and still have a Nuvi 755. I'm trying to like the 2595 but it is quite a PIA compared to the 755. I guess you just have to give it time to learn the layout.

I've been using the 2460LMT for over a year now. Using it with the GSAK Nuvi POI. I hated my 755T - it's unstable and freezes often, and the screen is significantly worse than the 660. It's the only Nuvi I own that I didn't use until the battery is useless (in fact, I went and got a 2nd hand 650 after using the 755T for a couple of months). Shame - it has the best MP3 player among all the Nuvis I own :)

The 2460 is generally quite stable, 5" display is nice to have. I have two extra buttons on the main screen - one to bring me to custom POI (geocaches!) and one to enter coordinates. It seems to take much longer than the 755 to calculate a route, and it doesn't have an MP3 or Audible player. Speech recognition is nice to have (but there's no speech command to bring me to custom POI). Other than slow routing speed, the only thing I don't like about it is that it does not display custom POI icons at default zoom level in 3D view.

We've been using a 1490LMT for 6 months or so and love it! It loads the caches easily and I can delete them easily. I bought a 2595LMT, but returned it because it was too much trouble with the new software garmin is using.

Can you describe how you load caches onto the 1490LMT? Does it load descriptions / hints as well, and how many can you load? Thanks!

We've been using a 1490LMT for 6 months or so and love it! It loads the caches easily and I can delete them easily. I bought a 2595LMT, but returned it because it was too much trouble with the new software garmin is using.

Can you describe how you load caches onto the 1490LMT? Does it load descriptions / hints as well, and how many can you load? Thanks!

From what I've experienced and seen first hand.... If you are not using GSAK, you will not be able to load descriptions or hints.

If you ARE using GSAK, you need to utilize a macro. There are lots of different macros available to use depending on what you're looking to accomplish.

Here is a HUGE library of GSAK macros

http://gsak.net/board/MacroIndex.php

I think the macro we've been using is this:

GPX_by_Cache_Type_TourGuide.gsk

(but I can't seem to find it in the list for some reason)

I think the macro we've been using is this:

GPX_by_Cache_Type_TourGuide.gsk

(but I can't seem to find it in the list for some reason)

Thanks. That's the one I'm using now, but the author has stopped supporting it, so GSAK removed it from their list.

The jjred macro can still be downloaded from here : https://sites.google.com/site/jjreds012/download

It also have a link to the original pilotsnipes macro, which is simpler to use, but gets very slow when going over 1000 entries.

I'm intrigued by find waldo's statements. As far as I know, you can load a limited number of geocaches (500 - 1000, depending on model) as Favorites, which will allow you to delete them easily, but have only coordinates and not much else. There's no reason why it won't work with 2595LMT unless Garmin changed something again. I've always felt that Garmin model updates are always three steps forward, two steps back, on a good day. I wonder if they will ever release the perfect Nuvi before standalone navigation GPS becomes obsolete.

I use the Nuvi as you said, load caches as favorites, no descriptions or hints. I use the nuvi just for driving close to the cache and use a handheld to find the cache. The new software that Garmin is using makes loading the caches hard and they don't show up on the screen as large treasure boxes, rather very small squares that can only be seen if you're zoomed way in on the screen. It makes it very hard to see other caches that may be close by. The 1490 uses the older software.

I just got a 2595 and using GSAK was able to download a PQ to POI garmin program then to the GPS. Problem is they only show the cache name but no discribetion, even when I select a cache.

On my NUVI 360 I get a full listing just as on GSAK. Is there any way to make this work on the 2595.

Just figured it out:

1. Go to "Where To?"

2. Go to "Categories"

3. Down arrow to "Custom POIs"

4. Select a Cache

5. select the "i"

6. Wait for the page to complety load.

7. Touch the White Area below the Route Box and THERE IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use the Nuvi as you said, load caches as favorites, no descriptions or hints. I use the nuvi just for driving close to the cache and use a handheld to find the cache. The new software that Garmin is using makes loading the caches hard and they don't show up on the screen as large treasure boxes, rather very small squares that can only be seen if you're zoomed way in on the screen. It makes it very hard to see other caches that may be close by. The 1490 uses the older software.

Thanks for the info! There are unfortunately too many caches within my immediate area to fit into favorites so I need to cope with the limitations of custom POI.

Thanks. That's the one I'm using now, but the author has stopped supporting it, so GSAK removed it from their list.

The jjred macro can still be downloaded from here : https://sites.google.com/site/jjreds012/download

It also have a link to the original pilotsnipes macro, which is simpler to use, but gets very slow when going over 1000 entries.

I'm intrigued by find waldo's statements. As far as I know, you can load a limited number of geocaches (500 - 1000, depending on model) as Favorites, which will allow you to delete them easily, but have only coordinates and not much else. There's no reason why it won't work with 2595LMT unless Garmin changed something again. I've always felt that Garmin model updates are always three steps forward, two steps back, on a good day. I wonder if they will ever release the perfect Nuvi before standalone navigation GPS becomes obsolete.

Wow... That stinks.

After using that macro for a good 6 months... We haven't really utilized all the information it included. Having the cache name, D/T rating was good.

The best part is loading them in as POI's and having thousands and thousands of them available.

Get a Montana. It has a Nuvi mode in addition to being a powerful "real" GPS for outdoors use. Best of both worlds. B)

You'd need to get a Montana and Navteeq Maps, and a lifetime subscription. It's cheaper to get a Nuvi and an Oregon. Ignoring cost, I do agree that in terms of usability it is probably the best choice.

Get a Montana. It has a Nuvi mode in addition to being a powerful "real" GPS for outdoors use. Best of both worlds. B)

You'd need to get a Montana and Navteeq Maps, and a lifetime subscription. It's cheaper to get a Nuvi and an Oregon. Ignoring cost, I do agree that in terms of usability it is probably the best choice.

You can get NT maps for, um, free. :anibad:

When I got my Montana I was not aware of this, but I too am finding this to be true, although I cannot really compare to an actual Nuvi since I don't own one. I use these routeable OSM maps and that has worked well both in North America and elsewhere on the globe. When it is in a Garmin mount in the car, it voice prompts during navigation (the mount has speakers); without that it prompts with messages and beeps. By switching between the Geocaching and Nuvi dashboards, I can have either and both work quite well.

OK my old 255w let me down, and sent me on a wild goose chase. I'm now thinking of a new nuvi with lifetime maps & traffic any suggestions for a compatible unit that will work with GSAK

I haven't found a Nuvi that wouldn't work with custom POI (both jjred and pilotsnipes macro). Though with my 2460LMT the caches (as custom POI) will not show up in either 2D or 3D map unless I zoom in to either the highest zoom level, or one level away from that.

BTW Garmin just announced their 2013 line of Nuvis. Not sure how well they'll work for geocaching, but what's new this year are 7" models (resolution still limited to 480x272). There's also a high end 5" model with 800x480 resolution.

My 2595 froze up again but I suspect if you clear memory, replace the caches.gpx file and delete the recent file (or something like that) on the internal memory it should work fine as I did get it to load but as I'm going on a long trip and don't want issues loading new GPX files (I do not want to do POIs) I also bought a 1490LMT off craigslist so I'll have a back-up.

I do have a hand held but recently bought a Nuvi to help me drive to the area.

First was the 2555LM but I had problems everytime I loaded a new GPX file it would freeze while 'loading maps'. I also didn't like the green pins it used for icons so I exchanged it.

Next was the 50LM, loved the Geocaching icons, loaded up great but if you wanted to clear your memory to las a new GPX file there was no delete all option, you had to do it one by one or reset the unit and wipe all user data.

Today I swapped it for the 2595LMT, hopefully ill have no issues loading GPX files but I'm still stuck with those green blob pin icons.

Just wonder what Car GPS you use and your experiences with it.

I was wondering if you tried using the "Garmin BaseCamp" program first before learning about deleting, adding, and customizing for paperless Caching? I'm still green with my new Nuvi 265W and this "BaseCamp" program. My wife and I just learned about and started Geocaching about a month ago. While setting up our 1st adventure we understood the need for this feature right away. Since then I've been looking for another unit that will allow this. My 265W is easy to download LOC and GPX files before learning of Basecamp I would download the file to my desktop. Then copy and paste that file to Garmin SD card. My SD card is an old 516mb and it holds so far like 80+ basic waypoints. I haven't tested how many it will hold but I'm thinking i'll spend 10 bucks for a 10mb or larger SD card and download my entire city's Waypoints. So if were out n about and happen by 1 then Bonus. So if anyone has any tricks to use our 265W as a somewhat of a paperless cacher.... Please let me know : )

I was wondering if you tried using the "Garmin BaseCamp" program first before learning about deleting, adding, and customizing for paperless Caching? I'm still green with my new Nuvi 265W and this "BaseCamp" program. My wife and I just learned about and started Geocaching about a month ago. While setting up our 1st adventure we understood the need for this feature right away. Since then I've been looking for another unit that will allow this. My 265W is easy to download LOC and GPX files before learning of Basecamp I would download the file to my desktop. Then copy and paste that file to Garmin SD card. My SD card is an old 516mb and it holds so far like 80+ basic waypoints. I haven't tested how many it will hold but I'm thinking i'll spend 10 bucks for a 10mb or larger SD card and download my entire city's Waypoints. So if were out n about and happen by 1 then Bonus. So if anyone has any tricks to use our 265W as a somewhat of a paperless cacher.... Please let me know : )

Sorry, no I don't use basecamp, I use gsak to export a GPX file which I then load onto my GPS.