Recommend an inexpensive Android

the3gmen

I have an Android tablet that I run GDAK on and am happy with the paperless ability it gives me, even though I have no internet access in the field. The only problems I have is it's size and my fear that I'll drop it in the field.

So I am looking to buy an inexpensive Android phone, mostly to use as a paperless caching device. I don't care about phone service on it. It doesn't have to be the latest and greatest. I want to load GDAK and will sync the cache data via wifi.

Micro SD slot is a must (most phones in the last 5 years have one)

A REAL gps would be nice but isn't necessary.

Can anyone point me to a model that maybe they had a few years ago that would fit these needs ?

We use GDAK on two android phones (and sometimes on the table). Both are not the newest and fastest. Basically, the older the phone gets the less RAM it has usually. Your tablet probably has 1GB, current phones usually start from 512mb and older may only have 256MB. This may limit performance and also cause apps to close if not enough memory remains.

My Wife uses currently a LG GT 540. This has a 320x480 3" Display (resistive Touchscreen). Also Micro-SD and GPS (well it can take a while for the fix). This phone runs (updated) with 2.1 and GDAK runs also. You'll just have to wait a bit until it loads (depending on the db size). Performance is rather slow but it works. It has some 3 Megapixel Camera. As this phone is a bit older it may quickly become outdated. But there exist custom roms (i.e. for android 2.3).

I currently use a Sony Experia Mini Pro (SK17i). I use it with Android 2.3 but there's an ICS Update ready (no further updates to come). It has a hardware keyboard (great for fieldnotes). Also a small 320x480 3" Display (capacitive Touchscreen). It comes also with a quite usable camera and it has a photo led which can be used as torch with an app. Also it comes with ANT+ (never used it) and GLONASS (I see the satellites but never noticed that they are used). GPS runs well as long as you download AGPS Data from Time to Time (with GPSTest).

Both devices have a "REAL" gps. This means it is a gps included in the chipset (qualcomm/snapdragon or whatever). AGPS data is just needed for speeding up the first fix. Which can else take quite a while if GPS is enabled seldomly.

Edited by SKAMS

I'm using a Samxung Galaxy Pocket (GT-S5300). Quite satisfied - battery life is OK and it's cheap. GPS has glonass support and is remarkably good and sensitive (accuracy is typically slightly worse than a dedicated receiver if you use it in your pocket for tracking though). Whether 320x240 is enough for your paperless caching pursuits is of course up to yourself to decide, but C:Geo works okay on it.

Typically sells for some 80-90 euros hardware only, i don't know if it can be beat. Don't be tempted to buy the slightly larger Galaxy Gio, it has severe GPS problems due to poor software.

Edited by tr_s

If anyone is interested, I'll give an update.

After a reset of the droid2, it was easy to set it up as a wifi only device, connect to my home network and load apps, including GDAK. I wirelessly copied my GSAK database (about 20,000 caches)and am up and running. An added bonus is that the droid2 has a real GPS which allows GDAK to sort the caches according to my location.

I haven't checked to see how accurate the GPS is.

Edited by the3gmen