Soroptimist International Markers Category Submission

Greetings, fellow waymarkers,

The Matriarchal Advocates group (enrollment is still open for membership!) has approved the potential category for Soroptimist International Markers and invite anyone to click on the provided link below to view the category description and make any comments or suggestions on it within this forum before it is posted for a Peer Review:

Soroptimist Internation Markers

Matriarchal Advocates is excited to see this category gain momentum as well as to see how many markers exist out in the real world (hundreds, potentially). This category's organization does some great philanthropic work for young women and other women in communities across the world and they have dedicated markers, plaques, memorial gardens and other monuments to reflect this. Think of this category in much the same way as you think of Kiwanis, Rotary, Lions Club, Knights of Pythais and other fraternal or philanthropic organizations that are current categories in Waymarking.com.

Happy Waymarking,

Matriarchal Advocates Group

thebeav69

Max and 99

saopaulo1

bluesnote

Greetings, fellow waymarkers,

The Matriarchal Advocates group (enrollment is still open for membership!) has approved the potential category for Soroptimist International Markers and invite anyone to click on the provided link below to view the category description and make any comments or suggestions on it within this forum before it is posted for a Peer Review:

Soroptimist Internation Markers

Matriarchal Advocates is excited to see this category gain momentum as well as to see how many markers exist out in the real world (hundreds, potentially). This category's organization does some great philanthropic work for young women and other women in communities across the world and they have dedicated markers, plaques, memorial gardens and other monuments to reflect this. Think of this category in much the same way as you think of Kiwanis, Rotary, Lions Club, Knights of Pythais and other fraternal or philanthropic organizations that are current categories in Waymarking.com.

Happy Waymarking,

Matriarchal Advocates Group

thebeav69

Max and 99

saopaulo1

bluesnote

A couple of thoughts....

I think at least two photos should be required. Just my opinion.

And something to think about...

If I understood correctly, you cannot just show up at an Optimist Lodge meeting. You must be invited, and the organization does not list or give out meeting locations, dates/times, or contact information for the lodges/leaders. So if this is correct, I wonder about the appropriateness of providing lodge meeting locations/dates/times, etc. on a waymark.

I shy away from categories that state each waymark will be evaluated on its own merits.

Good luck with the category!

I support all of Max and 99's comments on this topic.

And I think the biggest words are not always the best. Sometimes less is more. You have volunteer translators? What languages? Someone not fluent in English will never understand the language part of the proposal, so it's only useful for the ones who don't need it. Say that you want at least the essential information in English as well, in one sentence in the most basic English you can think of.

Thank you, Max and 99 and fi67. Good suggestions. I also agree with requiring two photos, one as a closeup and one farther away as a reference photo. I will try to change the English requirements to simplify the description and use simple words. I have to keep in mind not all waymarkers speak and write English but a basic sentence description in English should still be a requirement for submission.

You go to sleep, you wake up, and everything changes. Wow, that was quick. I agree with all of the above suggestions. I had a look at the Western Australian Soroptimist website, they do not advertise and only accept new members by invitation, so as Control says, best not to list their details.

"Soror" is in fact the Latin word for "sister", not "woman". So strictly speaking "Soroptimist" means a top notch sister, but who wants to be that pedantic (apart from me).

Good luck with the category. I strongly suspect that it will be a quiet success story.