send to phone

cappy0815

salute together,

there are several buttons on a listing-page:

[LOC waypointfile] [GPX file] [send to my GPS] [send to phone]

what the hell ist "send to phone" for??? This is just a link to a description how to find a cache with the original geocaching app???

there ist no "send to" funtion, isn't it?

please instruct me :-)

cappy

Edited by cappy0815

There's also a feature that's used by the mobile app c:Geo. It uses a Greasemonkey script to add the button to Firefox's geocaching pages, and requires you to register your browser and mobile (Adroid) device to match each other. A little complicated to set up, but a useful feature. In the end, c:Geo has stored caches that are available even when there's no mobile or wifi access.

Send to Phone works with iPhone, Android, Windows Phone 7, and Trimble Outdoors devices, but only if they're running the official geocaching.com app.

c:Geo is free and you only pay for it if you like it.

Send to Phone works with iPhone, Android, Windows Phone 7, and Trimble Outdoors devices, but only if they're running the official geocaching.com app.

I disagree. Clicking "send to my phone" takes you to a page that tells you if you have a Iphone, WindowsPhone or Droid, to look up the freaking cache on your phone. It doesn't use that same wording, but you get the point. :lol:

At the bottom of this page, there is a username and log in field for Trimble Outdoors, which leads me to believe you can actually "send to Phone" for that.

Hello,

[...]I disagree. Clicking "send to my phone" takes you to a page that tells you if you have a Iphone, WindowsPhone or Droid, to look up the freaking cache on your phone. It doesn't use that same wording, but you get the point. :lol: [...]

this is exactly what I told U :-)

Cappy

I just tried out a solution which worked here for my android phone and the stock geocaching app.

I used Firefox with the greasemonkey add-on and the following script:

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/95134

That script shows the qr-code of the currently displayed cache if you select the drop-down on the upper right of the cache-listing.

I then started a barcode reader on the phone (network has to be enabled) and then chose to open the link (from the qr-code) in the browser. Then I had the option to load it in the geocaching app --> The cache displayed in the app.

Well... nearly easy. ;-)

Would be even easier if Groundspeak adds a qr-reader in its app and a qr-code display without the need to use an additional script.

Edited by SKAMS

Hello,

[...]I disagree. Clicking "send to my phone" takes you to a page that tells you if you have a Iphone, WindowsPhone or Droid, to look up the freaking cache on your phone. It doesn't use that same wording, but you get the point. :lol: [...]

this is exactly what I told U :-)

Cappy

I'll assume you are also a handheld GPS user, and have used "send to my GPS" in the past. You are correct, you cannot send a cache to an Iphone, Droid, or WindowsPhone in that same manner. The button on the cache page would lead you to believe so, but no you cannot.

I just tried out a solution which worked here for my android phone and the stock geocaching app.

That script shows the qr-code of the currently displayed cache if you select the drop-down on the upper right of the cache-listing.

I then started a barcode reader on the phone (network has to be enabled) and then chose to open the link (from the qr-code) in the browser. Then I had the option to load it in the geocaching app --> The cache displayed in the app.

Well... nearly easy. ;-)

Would be even easier if Groundspeak adds a qr-reader in its app and a qr-code display without the need to use an additional script.

And on that note: [FEATURE]

In the meantime, if you are browsing on your computer and finding listings of caches you like, put them on a bookmark list, and make a PQ from that.

It WOULD be nice if the button either did what it says or went away, but I suspect there is an 'agreement' between Groundspeak and Trimble Outdoors that is keeping it there.

Well... nearly easy. ;-)

And on that note: [FEATURE]

In the meantime, if you are browsing on your computer and finding listings of caches you like, put them on a bookmark list, and make a PQ from that.

It WOULD be nice if the button either did what it says or went away, but I suspect there is an 'agreement' between Groundspeak and Trimble Outdoors that is keeping it there.

Another approach is to use Chrome browser on all devices and use an bookmark sync app.

Groundspeak could provide similar functionality by providing a bookmark sync function in their official mobile apps. So, a user could peruse the geocaching.com site from home and, with one click, add any cache listing to a Geocaching.com bookmark. Then when out in the field, fire up their mobile app and it could synchronize bookmarks so that all the caches listings selected on the desktop site are available on the mobile device. No QR code reader or even pocket queries necessary.

Groundspeak could provide similar functionality by providing a bookmark sync function in their official mobile apps. So, a user could peruse the geocaching.com site from home and, with one click, add any cache listing to a Geocaching.com bookmark. Then when out in the field, fire up their mobile app and it could synchronize bookmarks so that all the caches listings selected on the desktop site are available on the mobile device. No QR code reader or even pocket queries necessary.

Probably a Platinum Member feature. <_<