become a geocache reviewer

P1623

Please see this Page in the Groundspeak Knowledge Books. Basically, the process begins when an existing reviewer identifies the need for more support, or wants to retire. He or she will look through their "customer base" of cache hiders for a good candidate in that local area. There's then a selection and approval process, followed by a totally surprising phone call or email invitation.

From my understanding, reviewers typically have thousands of finds, many hides of their own-possibly 100+ and also have put on many events.

And also have a history of following guidelines and keeping their caches maintained in a timely fashion - you've got a couple that need checking on.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

How do I become a cache reviewer? I am interested in doing this and want to know the details.

Patrick

Groundspeak is very smart to be wary of folks who want to be reviewers.

I'm fond of quoting the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy on the matter; When it comes to power, the person who most wants it is the last person you should consider giving it to...

Besides it's a nearly thankless service the reviewers perform that seems (to me) to have more drawbacks than benefits.

I'm friends with quite a few reviewers and EX-reviewers and I've heard the stories. I would quickly get into trouble in that position and I have extensive training in and have an instructor's license in tactical communication aka verbal defense and influence. My biggest pet peeve is entitlement and THAT'S the bain of a reviewer's career from my outside observation. Oh yea, I'd forget my training and go off like a cannon if I had to deal with some of the issues I've heard about and seen brought in to the various geocaching forums.

Why are you interested in being a reviewer? :unsure:

And also have a history of following guidelines and keeping their caches maintained in a timely fashion - you've got a couple that need checking on.

Looking at the pattern of problems on those caches, I have a suspicion:

@P1623: Are you receiving emails from geocaching.com? You should receive an email for each and every log on your caches. Three of your caches were archived by a reviewer due to inaction on your part, even after they logged last-chance warning Reviewer Note logs. Also, two of your three active caches look to have problems, one of them since January. This all leads me to suspect that you may not be getting these logs by email and haven't realized the caches even have problems. You should check any spam folders to see if emails from "noreply@geocaching.com" are getting flagged as spam.

Groundspeak is very smart to be wary of folks who want to be reviewers.

They probably have underlying psychoses.

I'm fond of quoting the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy on the matter; When it comes to power, the person who most wants it is the last person you should consider giving it to...

Besides it's a nearly thankless service the reviewers perform that seems (to me) to have more drawbacks than benefits.

I think I'd rather have my fingernails slowly pulled out over a period of months.

I'm friends with quite a few reviewers and EX-reviewers and I've heard the stories. I would quickly get into trouble in that position and I have extensive training in and have an instructor's license in tactical communication aka verbal defense and influence. My biggest pet peeve is entitlement and THAT'S the bain of a reviewer's career from my outside observation. Oh yea, I'd forget my training and go off like a cannon if I had to deal with some of the issues I've heard about and seen brought in to the various geocaching forums.

I can't even keep my nose clean here in the forums, obviously NOT reviewer material. :lol:

Why are you interested in being a reviewer? :unsure:

I suppose there must be a certain warm fuzzy feeling they get when they help someone who just needed to understand the guidelines a bit better than they did, and is thankful for the assistance.

I have thought about wanting to be a reviewer. Just because I am in such a rural area and I know it very well. I have to admit that it would be cool to do too. It has to have its downside too. But the two reviewers that I have been contacted by in my area get the caches out in a timely fashion so there really is no need for another at this time. But like it was said earlier it needs to be somebody who has complete knowledge of all things geocaching and I am sure not there yet.

So if that is what you strive to be, clean up your caches and earn respect. In my opinion nothing gives you a bad name more than not maintaining your caches. Imagine hearing this, "How is he/she gonna reject my cache listing when he/she doesn't take care of his/her own."

How do I become a cache reviewer? I am interested in doing this and want to know the details.

Patrick

You be a responsible cacher in good standing and wait for someone to contact you.

I think it would be one of the last jobs I'd want, and don't think I'd be good at it!

I have a friend that's a reviewer, and there was an opening around here a while ago. He told me in conversation much later, that my name had been discussed (don't know how seriously, and don't really care to know) but there was someone else nearer the area(s) of concern so they're it. Thank God!

I tell you, when he said that I felt a cold chill, like someone had walked over my grave! shudder

Giving back to the game is all well, but I'll do it by hiding caches I think will be enjoyed, thank you very much!

At times, being a reviewer has gotta be one of the most thankless jobs in the world of Geocaching.

Which leads to another point, and not meaning to highjack the thread. Thanks to you guys and gals that donate your time and energy in keeping the rest of us out of trouble with our hides! Especially the great group we have looking after us here in Ontario. I know I've tried some bonehead hides that have had to be tweaked because of things that I knew better about. (s'why I don't think I'd make a good reviewer! :blink: )

Asking the question disqualifies you from ever becoming a reviewer unsure.gif

What an arrogant and unfriendly way to answer a legitimate question.

The truth hurts, doesn't it. :rolleyes:

Your arrogance seems to know no bounderies. Wouldn't it have been better and more helpful to direct the questioneer to the policies or qualifications for the position?

Also can you show mw the policy that disqualifies a person because he asked a question? These boards are full of questions so that disqualifies the questioneers from what??

You are shown as a "Charter Member" it would be hoped I could ask questions of seasoned geocachers without fear of ridicule, and I have many.

Asking the question disqualifies you from ever becoming a reviewer unsure.gif

What an arrogant and unfriendly way to answer a legitimate question.

The truth hurts, doesn't it. :rolleyes:

Your arrogance seems to know no bounderies. Wouldn't it have been better and more helpful to direct the questioneer to the policies or qualifications for the position?

Also can you show mw the policy that disqualifies a person because he asked a question? These boards are full of questions so that disqualifies the questioneers from what??

You are shown as a "Charter Member" it would be hoped I could ask questions of seasoned geocachers without fear of ridicule, and I have many.

It's not arrogance, it's a forum meme. That is the standard answer that gets repeated every time the question is asked. They had problems with someone years ago who had pestered them a few times to be a reviewer, so now that's the answer.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool
Also can you show mw the policy that disqualifies a person because he asked a question?
"Thats a joke, I say thats a joke son." - Foghorn Leghorn

Or as 4wheelin_fool wrote, it's a forum meme. It's based on the idea that people who actively try to become reviewers are demonstrating that they are not the type of people who would be good reviewers, and not the type of people Groundspeak should appoint as reviewers.

"Any man who wants to be president is either an egomaniac or crazy." - Dwight D Eisenhower

The few, the proud... Few are chosen.

They contact those who they're interested in.

You've got to imagine that they have hundreds of thousands to choose from. Who are they going to want?

Most likely they're going to pick people who have a lot of caching experience both in hiding and finding. They're likely to pick people who are well respected in their communities and on the forums, if that person comes here.

As someone mentioned, yes someone whose caches are well maintained.

They have a whole lot of people to choose from.