I have to go WHERE to find it?

cesariojpn

Why are some of these benchmarks in ridiculously inaccessible a/or out of the way places? At least in my area (Maui), many of them require a few days hike or access via helicopter to get to them!! Even after taking into account possible land routes, abandoned public rights of way, trails, jeep roads, settlements, etc, i'm still baffled that some markings are in the position they are in.

Why are some of these benchmarks in ridiculously inaccessible a/or out of the way places? At least in my area (Maui), many of them require a few days hike or access via helicopter to get to them!! Even after taking into account possible land routes, abandoned public rights of way, trails, jeep roads, settlements, etc, i'm still baffled that some markings are in the position they are in.

Chances are pretty good that most of the hard to get to ones are 'Triangulation Stations' that may have served their purpose by being occupied only once in their life (and that at night!).

C/P from the #1 pinned topic above:

'U.S. Coast & Geodetic Survey Disks'.

"TRIANGULATION STATION - A Triangulation Station is a survey point established during a survey utilizing the triangulation surveying method. Triangulation consists of observing the angles at the vertices of adjacent triangles, measuring the lengths of some sides, and computing the lengths of the remaining sides. The goal of this procedure is to determine the horizontal positions (latitude and longitude) of the vertices of each triangle (the points marked by TRIANGULATION STATION disks). The triangulation method thus produces accurate horizontal positions but only approximate elevations. Later, if a leveling survey crew was nearby, they may have leveled to one or more of the disks providing more accurate elevations."

Because of the technique (differential leveling) used to carry an accurate elevation from a known point to somewhere else, a true 'BENCH MARK' will generally be found along an existing transportation route - of course, a lot of these routes were barely goat tracks in the early 1900's.

C/P from the 'Benchmark Hunting' home page:

"Vertical Control Marks

These are the true "bench marks". Generally the words BENCH MARK will be printed on them near their rim if the mark is the disk type. Many vertical control marks are not the disk type, however, and can include bolts, rivets, chiseled squares, chiseled crosses, etc."

A great part of my enjoyment in this hobby is in the map scouting preparation (not always complete) and then the in the field route selection - particularly when I can make the initial approach via kayak.

MORC ELK

1a3fd90c-dc65-40fa-ba8d-0022a263d545.jpg

kayakbird

Why are some of these benchmarks in ridiculously inaccessible a/or out of the way places?

Chances are pretty good that most of the hard to get to ones are 'Triangulation Stations' that may have served their purpose by being occupied only once in their life (and that at night!).

A great part of my enjoyment in this hobby is in the map scouting preparation (not always complete) and then the in the field route selection - particularly when I can make the initial approach via kayak.

kayakbird

I agree with Mike, there is a tremendous amount of personal satisfaction to be obtained from doing research, then finding an approach to a mark like this.

However, sometimes the reverse can happen. A mark that was placed out in the boonies originally, can have a road beside it now, that you can drive almost up to it.

My favorite all-time find was one we did GSAK filtering, aerial map studying, then actually found it from 1878.

TillaMurphs and myself have had the pleasure of seeing this one.

http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.aspx?PID=CP2772

Echoing the previous posts.

'Benchmarks' were not paced with the intention that the general public should be able to find them easily.

In many cases 'benchmarks' have been placed where the general public will never be allowed to visit (like airports, military installations, etc.)

The 'benchmark' that requires a two-hour drive in a very capable 4WD vehicle and then a three-hour 'hike' to the summit of a remote peak can be far more rewarding than any Geocache. (And I would be tempted to place one there if there are no restrictions.)

Most of the horizontal marks (tri sta's) were set in areas where they could see other points so that often meant the highest ground. Even then they had to build towers to see over the local trees etc. You have to realize they were mapping the land and placed marks where they provided the most accurate information.

Edited by Z15

Imagine if WE have a hard time getting to them - how much trouble it was for THEM to do the work. The older the mark and the more remote the setting - the greater appreciation we should all have for these crews who made the initial effort!

Yeah, I saw the How the States Got Their Shapes episode.......33/66 feet chains stretched across miles of terrain?

I guess i'm just frustrated given some readily accessible marks.....are missing. Two alone have gone due to housing subdivisions, one had the disk removed and left a nice big hole in the ditch abutment, and i'm just miffed at the vast amount of bridge work one series of markers has suffered.