Help with GPS!

Carester25

I need help trying to figure out which GPS unit would be best for my husband. He is looking for something he can take overseas with him on deployment. I've looked at a bunch and can't really figure out which one would be good for him. I'm looking to spend up to $400. I've read some of the pinned posts, but it's all foreign to me! If someone could give me a couple of ideas, that would be great! Thanks!

(Canada) I bought a Garmin Oregon 550 this past January and quite like the unit. It has a touchscreen (which is usable in cold weather) and a geotagging camera which is just adequate, but does allow you to know where the pictures were taken. We just returned from a trip down the Danube and I used the 550 quite a lot. It has 4gb micro sd card and using penStreetMaps, I downloaded all of North America, England AND Europe, including detailed maps of Budapest and Prague.

Check the prices as sales are coming and the 550 comes bundled with 2NiMh batteries and a slick 110/240 charger.

I need help trying to figure out which GPS unit would be best for my husband. He is looking for something he can take overseas with him on deployment. I've looked at a bunch and can't really figure out which one would be good for him. I'm looking to spend up to $400. I've read some of the pinned posts, but it's all foreign to me! If someone could give me a couple of ideas, that would be great! Thanks!

My GarminGPS62sc is very nice and pretty easy to use. I believe its about $444 on amazon.

I spent a long time reading reviews its "dizzying" settled on that one. Look at youtube for reviews.

Thank your husband for his service from me as well his family.

Garmins most recent, state of the art, most versatile, and most functional rugged duty GPSr is the Montana.

Normally very expensive, they can be had right now for as little as $399 USD on sale. These are a fantastic bargain at this price.

Read what others have to say about the Montana in this long Montana thread at ADV.

I have nearly a dozen GPSr now, and my Montana 650 is the one I use every day.

EDIT:

My backup GPSr is an Oregon 450, also a very good choice, with less features and functionality compared to the Montana, but also only half the price on sale right now.

Edited by Atlas Cached