I'd like to leave coins in my cache series as a reward...

hyliston

I'm working on a nine cache puzzle series. If a person completes the series by finding the final cache, I'd like to give them a geocoin I've designed to keep as a reward. What is the best way to do this without someone abusing the reward (i.e. taking more than one geocoin)? After reading through these forums, I've had a few thoughts...

1. The caches in the series are for premium members only.

2. The final cache is nearby. I'll try and always leave 5 coins in there, in case a group is caching. If there are more than 5 in their group, they can contact me and we can work something out.

3. I can leave the coins (I need recommendations on this)...

a. unactivated

b. activated, and marked as collectable

c. activated, but have the finder 'adopt' the geocoin, and I transfer ownership to them

d. something else?

Is it worth making these coins trackable at all? Do people care about that if they're just going to get the coin as a reward for completing the series? I'm relatively new to geocoins and would appreciate advice from people with more knowledge.

Thanks,

hyliston

I'm working on a nine cache puzzle series. If a person completes the series by finding the final cache, I'd like to give them a geocoin I've designed to keep as a reward. What is the best way to do this without someone abusing the reward (i.e. taking more than one geocoin)? After reading through these forums, I've had a few thoughts...

1. The caches in the series are for premium members only.

2. The final cache is nearby. I'll try and always leave 5 coins in there, in case a group is caching. If there are more than 5 in their group, they can contact me and we can work something out.

3. I can leave the coins (I need recommendations on this)...

a. unactivated

b. activated, and marked as collectable

c. activated, but have the finder 'adopt' the geocoin, and I transfer ownership to them

d. something else?

Is it worth making these coins trackable at all? Do people care about that if they're just going to get the coin as a reward for completing the series? I'm relatively new to geocoins and would appreciate advice from people with more knowledge.

Thanks,

hyliston

I would keep the coins as a prize and once someone collects something as proof of cache puzzle completion you give them a coin. This would be done in person at event or meet up. Anything else and you are heading for abuse.

I do know of a few caches that have pathtags (less $$ than geocoins) but you need to finish 13 pretty rough puzzles to find the final so very few make it this far.

Good luck, sounds like a good idea.

Shaun

If you leave more than one in the cache at a time the extras will get taken/stolen at some point. Making the cache for premium members only won't change that. Unfortunately premium members can be thieves too.

There was a series here that the first 75 cachers who completed it received a geocoin. The coins were given in person so that they knew only one went to each person. Another way to do it would be to leave a coupon that could be redeemed.

I personally don't care if a reward coin I received is trackable or not but some people do care. I rarely activate my coins. Some of the geo-achievement coins I have are trackable and some aren't. If I were giving away the coins I don't think I would make them trackable to save some of the cost. If you do make them trackable I would leave them unactivated so that the ones who earn them can do as they wish with their gift.

I agree with the BeeLady. If you leave temptation out there angels will fall. I think it's awfully generous of you to want to do this but I would encourage that you only keep one prize coin in the cache at any given time. Whenever someone logs a find go replace the prize coin. OR have them contact you after logging the find and you can send them the coin - which implies you'd check the logbook at the cache to ensure those who contact you have indeed found it and aren't just logging it virtually to win a free coin.

If you activate them and adopt them out you can always bookmark them and follow their activities as if they were still yours. Even if they don't move you have a gossamer string attached and keeping track.

If you activate them and adopt them out you can always bookmark them and follow their activities as if they were still yours. Even if they don't move you have a gossamer string attached and keeping track.

If you don't activate them, but write down the tracking numbers before dropping them in the cache, you can follow those coins that are logged. I think unactivated would cause less confusion.

Great initiative! I LOVED getting a coin at the end of Bridges and Arches of Central Park.