Cache distance from home site

Mick McPhee

Anyone ever have a reviewer question your ability to maintain a cache because it was 250 miles from your home site? I just did. However I have a family member who geocaches that lives close by the cache. I told the reviewer that the cache will be maintained. I can't believe there are not lots of people (who when traveling) do not stop to place new caches.

Yes, a whole lot of people used to place caches while traveling. That's why they don't allow it anymore.

We ended up with a whole lot of caches that were not maintained.

If you have a good maintenance plan in place, contact the reviewer, but your family member should probably have a geo-account and be using it. Most non-cachers couldn't be bothered. Perhaps if your family member writes a note to the reviewer, but the fact is they don't want people to place vacation caches. A lot of people used to all the time and it really didn't work out.

Anyone ever have a reviewer question your ability to maintain a cache because it was 250 miles from your home site? I just did. However I have a family member who geocaches that lives close by the cache. I told the reviewer that the cache will be maintained. I can't believe there are not lots of people (who when traveling) do not stop to place new caches.

One of the Groundspeak listing guidelines is: "Owner is responsible for visits to the physical location."

The region in which a cacher is considered able to maintain caches responsibly will vary from person to person. A cacher who has previously logged caches within a wide range of their home may be considered able to maintain a geocache 200 miles (322 km) away. However, someone whose geocaching activities have primarily been within 25 miles (40 km) of home may not be able to maintain a geocache this far from home. This factor is determined at the discretion of the cache reviewer or Groundspeak.

Because of the effort required to maintain a geocache, please place physical caches in your usual caching area and not while traveling. Caches placed during travel will likely not be published unless you are able to provide an acceptable maintenance plan. This plan must allow for a quick response to reported problems, and might include the username of a local cacher who will handle maintenance issues in your absence. Alternatively you might train a local person to maintain the cache. Document your maintenance plan in a Note to Reviewer on your cache listing. This should include contact information of the maintainer.

I can't believe there are not lots of people (who when traveling) do not stop to place new caches.

It may be hard for you to believe, but not many when traveling, will stop to place a cache.

Perhaps a lot of people have thought about it, but after reading the guidelines, and/or talking with other cachers, I believe very few will go ahead and try.

For those that failed to read or understand the guidelines, the reviewers will most likely catch it.

Someone is always trying to slip a cache past the guidelines, and often they get away with it, at least for a while. However, this is one that seems very easy for the reviewer to spot.

NOTE: this is not to say that people don't do it, just that it is not the norm.

I can't believe there are not lots of people (who when traveling) do not stop to place new caches.

It may be hard for you to believe, but not many when traveling, will stop to place a cache.

Perhaps a lot of people have thought about it, but after reading the guidelines, and/or talking with other cachers, I believe very few will go ahead and try.

For those that failed to read or understand the guidelines, the reviewers will most likely catch it.

Someone is always trying to slip a cache past the guidelines, and often they get away with it, at least for a while. However, this is one that seems very easy for the reviewer to spot.

NOTE: this is not to say that people don't do it, just that it is not the norm.

There are cachers that don't read the guidelines before placing a 'Vacation Cache' that then wont be Published, due to 'Lack of Maintenance' plans!

Caching family near may help get it published...

Leave a Reviewers Note of who it is.

Edited by Bear and Ragged
However I have a family member who geocaches that lives close by the cache. I told the reviewer that the cache will be maintained.

Then let that family member place a cache & take full responsibility & ownership.

If they're like my mom, they may not be an active geocacher and may not want to read the find logs. They may also not have the skills or desire to create a cache page.

I visit once/year and in between my mom's checks up on it once in a while when she walks by.

Edited by The_Incredibles_
However I have a family member who geocaches that lives close by the cache. I told the reviewer that the cache will be maintained.

Then let that family member place a cache & take full responsibility & ownership.

If they're like my mom, they may not be an active geocacher and may not want to read the find logs. They may also not have the skills or desire to create a cache page.

I visit once/year and in between my mom's checks up on it once in a while when she walks by.

If Mom is unwilling to read the "Found It" logs, wouldn't it stand to reason that she is also unwilling to read the "Needs Maintenance" logs? :unsure:

I can't think of a reviewer who won't question your ability to maintain a cache that is an 8+ hour round trip from your home. If you explain how you plan to do so to the satisfaction of the reviewer it should be published. "I have property there and visit once or twice a year" probably won't be good enough. "My parents live there and I visit every month", or "My friend lives a mile from the cache and will take care of it when I can't" should fly.

There are lots of people who stop to place caches while traveling. A good portion of them don't get published, but many are.

We placed one where we go camping. I put right in the page that we only go there a few times a year so try not to get it muggled. I also added in that if there is a problem it will give me a reason to go there. We can maintain it as I like to go fishing there even in the winter so there is no problem but it was published without question. Hawaii we couldn't maintain and wouldn't place a cache there.

If Mom is unwilling to read the "Found It" logs, wouldn't it stand to reason that she is also unwilling to read the "Needs Maintenance" logs? :unsure:

If maintenance is needed, I do a really old-fashioned thing...call her!

Sounds like a maintenance plan failure. :unsure:

Doesn't sound like a failure to me, I can't see a problem with it.

How did you arrive at this will be a failure. I have a similar arrangement and my mother checks whenever she is walking in the area and I call to tell her to check if a "needs maintenance" log shows up.

I do not think that my family is any more special than other so I believe that in most families this is something one gladly would do to help eachother.

How did you arrive at this will be a failure. I have a similar arrangement and my mother checks whenever she is walking in the area and I call to tell her to check if a "needs maintenance" log shows up.

I do not think that my family is any more special than other so I believe that in most families this is something one gladly would do to help eachother.

What if the phone lines are down for a few years?

What if the phone lines are down for a few years?

Write a letter, and use the post? :lol:

Our moms are awesome, what can we say? :D

If I needed someone else's help to maintain a cache I wanted to place, I wouldn't place it.

I would more likely alert them to the excellent location I found for a cache, and let them place one of their own if they chose to do so.

Find globally, hide locally. ;)

I am often amazed when I see someone's profile listing that they have placed hundreds of caches across a 30 mile region. My three are within a 15 minute dog-walk from my house, and require no gasoline to reach. To me, it's peace of mind knowing I can fix any problem almost instantly.

If I needed someone else's help to maintain a cache I wanted to place, I wouldn't place it.

I would more likely alert them to the excellent location I found for a cache, and let them place one of their own if they chose to do so.

Find globally, hide locally. ;)

I am often amazed when I see someone's profile listing that they have placed hundreds of caches across a 30 mile region. My three are within a 15 minute dog-walk from my house, and require no gasoline to reach. To me, it's peace of mind knowing I can fix any problem almost instantly.

I would imagine that people place caches across a wide region because they've found some good locations that are not necessarily close to home. Placing all your hides close to home just so they're easy to maintain is fine, as long as those locations are actually nice places to visit and not just a nearby spot that does not yet have a geocache.

How did you arrive at this will be a failure?

It adds at least one more level between the cache getting reported as having a problem, and the cache getting fixed. Probably more than one layer, depending on circumstance. We've already learned that Mom can't be bothered with reading NMs. So that leaves the job for the person who lives way too far away to take decisive action.

In my world, NM = Go fix, post a maintenance note.

In their world, NM = Call Mom, wait for Mom to fix, (Mom might have a life, so not sure how long that will take), get message that all is well, post a maintenance note.

It's why I'm not keen on cachers who place stuff they can't maintain themselves.

It adds at least one more level between the cache getting reported as having a problem, and the cache getting fixed. Probably more than one layer, depending on circumstance. We've already learned that Mom can't be bothered with reading NMs. So that leaves the job for the person who lives way too far away to take decisive action.

In their world, NM = Call Mom, wait for Mom to fix, (Mom might have a life, so not sure how long that will take), get message that all is well, post a maintenance note.

It's why I'm not keen on cachers who place stuff they can't maintain themselves.

Glass 1/2 empty? Maybe your mother is not reliable, but mine is.

Sorry to hear that you are unable to maintain your caches. My limit is 35 miles. And that can be very tough.

I live in an area where vacation caches are placed with some regularity. Here's what I found. The maintenance plan never works. Non-cachers really don't see the importance of maintaining a cache in a timely fashion. Shoot a lot of cachers don't see that importance. But people without an interest in the hobby really are less likely too.

The ever popular "but I visit there (in our case the cabin) a couple times a summer" is also thrown out as a plan and from the looks of it usually accepted. Except when people vacation finding caches and do other fun summer hobbies like fishing take precedence over maintaining that cache they threw out into the wilderness that went to pot a week after placement.

I used to occasionally assist these wayward cachers in maintaining their caches. Some used to be at some really neat places. I even secured a new ammo can for one that was still months of disabled even after the reviewer said you have a couple weeks to fix it (assuming the cacher said they were coming back). Next time if a spot is that important to me I'll be waiting until the cache is archived. And really at this point I post NM and NA on these caches now as I found that a lot of caches placed on vacation are of the "out of sight out of mind" variety.

Sorry to hear that you are unable to maintain your caches. My limit is 35 miles. And that can be very tough.

The caches are being maintained fine, thank you. Take a look, there are no complaints or needs maintenance requests on them. I visit once/year at spring break. In between, my mother checks in on the caches from time to time as they are near her house on a walking path she frequently uses. Apparently my reviewer was satisfied with the arrangement or she would not have published it them. No rude comments about hte marquee, please.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=3b36838c-9257-40d1-a602-0d65690950c4

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=7e101e68-1a41-43cd-8a28-619f335853e4

Also my mom has a life but when she agrees to take care of something for me, she follows up on that in a real good manner. I have once had a NM on a cache that she maintains for me. When I got the message for that, it took me about 1 hour to call my mother. 30 mins later the new log was in place and she called me back. The next day a owners maintenance was posted. I can not claim that she will be doing this as quicly every time. I could be unlucky. She could make dinner/ have visitors/ throw a christmassparty/ cuddle in bed/ be on vacation/ whatever. But so could I. This time I was the "lazy" one as I did not get to log that the new log was in place untill the next day.

It is not wheter you maintain a cache by proxy or not that is decisive for how good the cache is mainained. It is if you can trust that proxy (most moms are trustworthy) and how serious you take the CO responibility.

We pick up stakes and move every couple years. The first move after we started geocaching (from Germany to Virginia), I wanted to keep most of our German caches alive, so I worked out maintenance agreements with local cachers. I wanted to have a couple around my folks, so I hid a couple near my parents' house in Georgia (my permanent address, to which I return often). And I hid a few around Virginia, our home for a year. I archived some of the Virginia hides when we moved to our present home in Alabama, kept a few Virginia hides active with maintenance agreements, and hid about six dozen caches around here.

As time went on, I felt more and more selfish asking others to maintain our caches. I eventually archived all of our German caches, archived our two caches in Georgia when they developed problems, and have archived our remaining Virginia hides as they have developed issues. I have several people volunteering to help maintain our Alabama caches, but with the exception of a handful of caches that should be a snap to maintain, I plan to archive them all before we leave, so I let folks know that they should get 'em while the getting is good.

Just our approach, for what it's worth. Not posted to suggest anything about how others are handling their caches, just sharing how our views have changed.

Edited by hzoi

The caches are being maintained fine, thank you. Take a look, there are no complaints or needs maintenance requests on them. I visit once/year at spring break. In between, my mother checks in on the caches from time to time as they are near her house on a walking path she frequently uses. Apparently my reviewer was satisfied with the arrangement or she would not have published it them. No rude comments about hte marquee, please.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=3b36838c-9257-40d1-a602-0d65690950c4

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=7e101e68-1a41-43cd-8a28-619f335853e4

Rude comments about a bouncing FTF Marquee? Never gonna happen. :laughing: Another observation? A good amount of lame logging going on in that town. They allow situations like yours, even if the friend or relative does not have an account on the website. I don't what percentage of relative maintained caches are successful and well-maintained, but I'm sure there are plently, and I'm glad it's working out for you.

I can't think of a reviewer who won't question your ability to maintain a cache that is an 8+ hour round trip from your home. If you explain how you plan to do so to the satisfaction of the reviewer it should be published. "I have property there and visit once or twice a year" probably won't be good enough. "My parents live there and I visit every month", or "My friend lives a mile from the cache and will take care of it when I can't" should fly.

There are lots of people who stop to place caches while traveling. A good portion of them don't get published, but many are.

You know, I've never had a reviewer say just how many such "vacation caches" dropped by the clueless, that they reject. I'll bet it's a lot, especially depending on the area. We see the forum threads here all the time, People placing vacation caches with no maintenance plan, and they want a local to go retrieve the Travel Bugs in the cache. Living near the tourist Mecca of Niagara Falls, Ontario, I've seen 3 or 4 vacation caches slip by the reviewer over the years there, but I'll bet that's out of dozens of submissions.

A good amount of lame logging going on in that town.

Thank you, Mr Yuck. Yes, there is alot of lame logging in that town, but I forgive them. There are so many bears in the area, it's not safe to keep your head down long enough to write a good quality log. You can't go caching in that town without finding an ammo can and a pile or 2 of bear scat. :blink:

Well that is certainly the most unique excuse I've heard for lame logging. Then again, it might be the first excuse I've ever heard, since I'm sure all lame loggers are totally oblivious to the fact they are lame logging. :laughing:

Hopefully Sbell111 won't see this, as he opined that I can work "lame logging" into any thread. :ph34r:

Find globally, hide locally.

What if there are neither caches nor geocachers in places you visit and this situation is not likely to change in the nearest future? "Find locally, hide locally" - this what my slogan a year ago, with most caches (micro/nano) within the bounds of my city (>10m population, <10 active geocachers). It looks like that by the end of this year I will come to "Hide locally, find nothing" :) I mean that the principle sounds reasonable but sadly it doesn't work for the game here (Moscow, Russia).

Selective approach (of reviwers) to situation in different countries/regions and promoting maintenance of geocaches as an important part of cache hunt could help, I think.

Find globally, hide locally.

What if there are neither caches nor geocachers in places you visit and this situation is not likely to change in the nearest future? "Find locally, hide locally" - this what my slogan a year ago, with most caches (micro/nano) within the bounds of my city (>10m population, <10 active geocachers). It looks like that by the end of this year I will come to "Hide locally, find nothing" :) I mean that the principle sounds reasonable but sadly it doesn't work for the game here (Moscow, Russia).

Selective approach (of reviwers) to situation in different countries/regions and promoting maintenance of geocaches as an important part of cache hunt could help, I think.

I can agree with this in Russia. By the way, I assume this the Russian Geocaching site, which most players use?: Geocaching.su

Since that site seems to accept, or even encourage virtual caches because of the harsh winters, I don't see a problem with creating virtuals when you're traveling to other parts of the Country. I myself created 4 virtuals hundreds of miles from home on a low-traffic American Alternative Geocaching website last summer. And several other of the small number of players on that website have done the same in the 2 1/2 years that site has existed.

I assume this the Russian Geocaching site, which most players use?: Geocaching.su

Yes.

Since that site seems to accept, or even encourage virtual caches because of the harsh winters, I don't see a problem with creating virtuals when you're traveling to other parts of the Country. I myself created 4 virtuals hundreds of miles from home on a low-traffic American Alternative Geocaching website last summer. And several other of the small number of players on that website have done the same in the 2 1/2 years that site has existed.

It's true that the Russian geocaching website encourages virtuals. This made no good for the game. The idea that virtuals didn't really need maintenance and are much easier to create finally led to situation when people used to quickly place virtuals without paying attention to the general idea of geocaching - treasure hunt. Nowadays at many "geocaches" one has nothing to seek for, just count steps, windows or columns. The game has turned into a kind of tourism/Waymarking. It's not just about 4 virtuals somewhere far from home, you know; there are hundreds and hundreds of them :(

I assume this the Russian Geocaching site, which most players use?: Geocaching.su

Yes.

It's true that the Russian geocaching website encourages virtuals. This made no good for the game. The idea that virtuals didn't really need maintenance and are much easier to create finally led to situation when people used to quickly place virtuals without paying attention to the general idea of geocaching - treasure hunt. Nowadays at many "geocaches" one has nothing to seek for, just count steps, windows or columns. The game has turned into a kind of tourism/Waymarking. It's not just about 4 virtuals somewhere far from home, you know; there are hundreds and hundreds of them :(

Sorry to hear that, about the virtuals. I won't name them, but I use 3 American-based alternative websites that accept virtuals (and always have), and I'm not lying, *NONE* of them have had a problem with lame virtuals, or having virtuals take over the game, and become the dominant cache type.

I'm going to say the fact that few people use these alternatives in America has made the difference in virtual caches not "taking over", as opposed to Geocaching.su, which has developed as the primary source for Geocaching in Russia.

Do you have any idea how many of the 8,000 caches listed on Geocaching.su are the Virtual type?

Do you have any idea how many of the 8,000 caches listed on Geocaching.su are the Virtual type?

Actually, now there are about 11,200 geocaches listed there. 2/3 of them are traditional caches and multi-step caches with containers. 1/3 are virtuals and multi-steps without containers. (I can give you more detailed statistics if you wish). The situation looks not so bad.

But these numbers are tricky. Many traditional caches are converted into virtuals or just closed for winter season by their owners. It's quite common that a cache owner allows "found it" to folks who actually didn't find his cache (e.g. found it destroyed or there were any other trouble like "too many muggles for a cache hunt"). Multi-steps can be quite long, up to 25 steps, each one being actually a virtual. So, the number of virtuals are higher.

Ya know, I've also seen 2 variants:

1. Cache by cacher Billy, maintained by cacher Jim

2. Cache by cacher Billy, adopted by cacher Jim

If you must place a cache in an area you don't frequent regularly, find a local cacher to assist in the maintenance. We're all in this thing togetrher, guys.

I think I should study caches that have been placed in remote regions. I once did a kind of an overview of "high-altitude" geocaches for our local community. Somehow people manage to place geocaches in jungle and other remote places. I personally have a series of such geocaches, e.g. as far as at the Polar Urals - we made some hiking there for 13 days and met no living soul but a hare :) I cannot imagine any "maintenance plan" for such locations but since there are caches at geocaching.com - there must be some variant.

Edited by -CJ-

The caches are being maintained fine, thank you.

I don't think the furry swimming mammal dude was questioning whether or not they were being maintained. I think he was expressing mild remorse that you were in a position where you couldn't maintain them yourself.

As to the proverbial glass? It's completely full.

Half with a liquid and half with a gas. :PB)

The caches are being maintained fine, thank you.

I don't think the furry swimming mammal dude was questioning whether or not they were being maintained. I think he was expressing mild remorse that you were in a position where you couldn't maintain them yourself.

As to the proverbial glass? It's completely full.

Half with a liquid and half with a gas. :PB)

If you take a look at my account, it's not just me, there are a total of 4 people on my account. I can add Grandma Incredible to my profile page, if it improves the quality of your sleep. :P

BTW, not only is she incredible, but she has ESP. She took a break from doing her own plumbing yesterday to send me this email yesterday: "I checked on the Yak Dung cache today on the way back from a walk - it is intact and in good shape, and so is the stump. The last entry was Sep 3, 2012. "

I think I should study caches that have been placed in remote regions. I once did a kind of an overview of "high-altitude" geocaches for our local community. Somehow people manage to place geocaches in jungle and other remote places. I personally have a series of such geocaches, e.g. as far as at the Polar Urals - we made some hiking there for 13 days and met no living soul but a hare :) I cannot imagine any "maintenance plan" for such locations but since there are caches at geocaching.com - there must be some variant.

Interesting situation. I guess since they're not found that often, they probably don't need that much maintenance?

My guess is Groundspeak would be reluctant to acknowledge the situation, because there's already enough people not taking care of their caches properly, they wouldn't want to encourage more of that. Presumably your Russian reviewers are already aware, though, and allow you to hide vacation caches in remote areas?

I guess since they're not found that often, they probably don't need that much maintenance?

It cuts both ways... I mean, being a cache owner I may consider my remote cache to be at less risk since it is rarely visited. At the same time, I receive less information about its current status from geocachers.

My guess is Groundspeak would be reluctant to acknowledge the situation

Maybe. It's up to Groundspeak however whether they wish to see Russian geocaches on the map or not. I doubt there's any other way to promote geocaching in such areas. Well, there's another way - to educate people, involve them into the game and try to raise local geocaching communities so they sometimes start creating their own caches. From 10 years of geocaching experience in Russia we know that this process is very long and resource-intensive. The game at geocaching.com here in Russia has been limited to Moscow and Saint-Petersburg, two major cities of the country, and very limited number of caches outside these cities.

But at least the community might start thinking about the idea that a cache far from home is not necessarily a "vacation cache" made by people who don't care much about basic maintenance. It may be (and in some cases it is) an attempt to promote geocaching in areas which are unaccessible for the game by any other means.

Presumably your Russian reviewers are already aware, though, and allow you to hide vacation caches in remote areas?

I would not trip our reviewer up by telling that he follows some policy different from the basic gc.com guidelines :) COs here are aware of the problem and usually don't load the reviewer with requests about placing geocaches in remote areas. We're still thinking about various possible ways to deal with this issue.

Well, since it is Puratin Week, I won't hassle you guys too much.

But thank the good lord that not everyone shares you small hide radious views. If everyone did, there would be no back country caches, and no nice caches near where I camp.

As a general rule, my hides are within 5km of my house. However, I have a few near where I camp (I visit 5-10 times a summer), I have one at the ski hill I ski at most weekends in the winter (January through April, accessable on skiis), and I have 3 back country caches. I make sure that these hides are the veriety that will require almost no maintanence.

If those areas had to rely on locals to hide caches, there would either be none, or maybe 2. That would suck.

What am I thankfull for this American Thanksgiving? Cachers who are willing to hide caches far away from their home.

I had a cache pre-approved for a location on a double island in sub-arctice Canada. The only way to get there was an 8 day round trip sail (gas boats can not carry enough fuel), or a multi day skidoo trip with a trailer of fuel. The reviewer wanted to be sure that I could perform maintanence if required. I assured him that me and my brother (who lives as localy as it gets up there) were crazy adventurers and would do the trip agian if needed. The reviewer wanted me to commit to atleast a bi-anual maintanence check. I don't remember if I aggreed to that, or if I convinced him that chaining an ammo can to a tree was good enough (what can really go wrong with an average of 0 visitors a year, right?)

Interesting situation. I guess since they're not found that often, they probably don't need that much maintenance?

My guess is Groundspeak would be reluctant to acknowledge the situation, because there's already enough people not taking care of their caches properly, they wouldn't want to encourage more of that. Presumably your Russian reviewers are already aware, though, and allow you to hide vacation caches in remote areas?

I don't want to speak for him, but Groundspeak lists less than 400 caches in all of Russia. They have their own website, independent of Geocaching.com, that lists 11,500 caches. News to me, until today. :laughing: Well, actually, I knew of the website, I had no idea it had 30 times as many caches listed. Could very well be the only Country in the entire world where Groundspeak is in 2nd place. A very unique situation, I must say. With that low number of caches, it's a pretty good guess there is no Russian reviewer. But I suppose it's also a pretty good guess whoever does review them is aware of the situation.

Edited by Mr.Yuck