Still Needs an FTF

soflfamily

From the Challenger:

"HAVING COMPLETED THIS CHALLENGE, I WILL GIVE 3 WORDS OF ADVICE; TEAMWORK, LOCATION, MOTIVATION. I WOULD SAY PLANNING BUT THOSE INSANE ENOUGH THAT COMPLETED THIS CHALLENGE WITH ME CAN CONFIRM VERY LITTLE PLANNING WAS INVOLVED."

Where's the evidence that this was completed by the CO as claimed? I'm sure it happened, it's just that I don't see a Smilie on caches in the supplied "example list". It's cool when the CO has actually done the challenge. Much more back-story would be welcome. [EDIT: Nevermind].

Do you look at each page in advance, or only do puzzle caches on pages you've never seen? If you try again, do you need to go list 100 others that you've never seen? Or do you solve them, as long as it takes (days/months/years), then go physically hunt the caches all in one day? Does a Team of, say four, each tackle 25 puzzles?

This is also a test of Cache Owners. Some puzzles are just plain no good (with mistakes that make it nearly impossible to find the cache).

And, I'll never attempt such a thing, of course. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion

I have done 54 caches in one day, 49 of which were mystery caches. They were not setup in a powertrail either. It took 16 hours and 304 miles of driving. I could not see continuing on for another 8 hours, we were wiped. The only way I could see doing it would be on a power trail, but even then... WOW.

16 hours and 304 miles of driving.

So for the OP's challenge, you'd need to solve way more that 100 Puzzle Caches, in order to see a hundred sets of coords bunched together closely enough to find in one day. With a list of extras on hand, in case some aren't findable. So it's not possible to be solving and finding all in one day -- the challenge is to find them within 24 hours, after however long it took to solve them. I think. :yikes:

Edited by kunarion

I actually know of several cachers who qualify for this one. Fairly easy to do in certain areas.

I'm sure that there are probably a few places where there enough unknown/mystery caches that, once solved, could all be found in a single calendar day. However, those places might not be anywhere near the location of the Challenge cache.

True enough, but it doesn't say that you have to qualify within 'X' distance or specific geographic area.;)

I looked at nearby caches and there are 200 ? caches within @ 20 miles. Most appear to be terrain 1 or 1.5 so I'd assume are easier walks and/or drive ups. If that was virgin territory (the real key to accomplishing the challenge IMHO), and you had the puzzles solved, I think it might be very doable.

Interesting that this was published four days after the new guidelines were published. I'd say that it borderlines on violating #6 as you would have to basically give up on finding any puzzle caches until you have solved 100 of them or qualified for enough challenge caches to make up the difference. At any rate, it's at the published coordinates so it's real easy to ignore. Since I have only found 83 puzzles in 7 1/2 years and a total of 6 in a day, 5 being challenge caches, I guess I would have to ignore it.

I actually know of several cachers who qualify for this one. Fairly easy to do in certain areas.
+1

Back before numbers run trails, back when the 24-hour numbers run record was in the 300-400 range, some folks from around here decided to do a puzzle-cache numbers run. They solved a bunch of puzzles in a puzzle dense area about 3 hours drive from here, planned an optimized route, and spent a day finding P&G puzzle caches. Their total was a little over 100 puzzle cache finds, they didn't start until dawn, and they didn't cache much after dusk. IIRC, they had dinner with the CO of most of the puzzle caches that they had found.

A pretty good example of how 'Challenge Caches' have gotten out of hand.

Considering the number of local puzzle caches on my ignore list, I could possibly apply myself to solving them (or begging the solutions off of friends) and qualify.

Personally, I'd say it is in poor taste to put out a challenge you don't qualify for yourself.

I thought you had to at least be close to qualifying before you were able to publish a challenge. Is this something new?

The cache owner only has 57 puzzle caches total for his entire caching career, and the most he's found in one day is 13 caches of any kind. This guy has no idea what it would take to complete his challenge in a very real kind of way.

Have the rules changed so that this is okay?

I thought you had to at least be close to qualifying before you were able to publish a challenge. Is this something new?

The cache owner only has 57 puzzle caches total for his entire caching career, and the most he's found in one day is 13 caches of any kind. This guy has no idea what it would take to complete his challenge in a very real kind of way.

(Edit)

The Help Center says: "Reviewers may ask the cache owner to demonstrate that they have previously met the challenge and/or that a substantial number of other geocachers would be able to do so".

In this case the cache owner provided evidence that at least 1 geocacher qualifies (but the owner does not).

Seems quite a difficult judgement call for the reviewer to determine if the following is true:

"A challenge cache needs to appeal to, and be attainable by, a reasonable number of geocachers".

Edited by redsox_mark

A pretty good example of how 'Challenge Caches' have gotten out of hand.

Considering the number of local puzzle caches on my ignore list, I could possibly apply myself to solving them (or begging the solutions off of friends) and qualify.

Personally, I'd say it is in poor taste to put out a challenge you don't qualify for yourself.

I think the challenge is unattainable for most cachers including the owner.

Of course one could always delete 100 or so of their finds on puzzle caches, and then go out and refind them in one day, or at least write the same day in all of the logbooks. :rolleyes: And there is always the option opening up a sockpuppet account and hiding a powertrail of 100 simple puzzle caches nearby. :ph34r:

I've completed the challenge, but that's too far away to go log. There are 2 geo-art series near me that total like 90 puzzles and each is a very simple solve. One is a baseball south of Greenville, SC (http://coord.info/GC2QAJF) the other is a smiley face on Lake Lure, NC (http://coord.info/GC2MDGP). The baseball are all easy finds but not a power trail they are spread out over town. The smiley is a little more like a power trail and were all easy. Add other puzzles between the two and it's a long day but can be accomplished

EDIT: I do find it bad form that the hider hasn't found 100 Unknown caches period (much less 100 in a day).

Edited by IkeHurley13

I wanted to reply back to a few of these comments

"A pretty good example of how 'Challenge Caches' have gotten out of hand"

- sorry you don't like challenge caches, luckily there is the ignore button for cachers like you

"I'd say that it borderlines on violating #6 as you would have to basically give up on finding any puzzle caches until you have solved 100 of them or qualified for enough challenge caches to make up the difference"

- survey say's "X". challenge does not specify a geographic location to complete it. in fact we completed it 300 miles away.

"Personally, I'd say it is in poor taste to put out a challenge you don't qualify for yourself."

- that's actually pretty fair assumption. I should of mentioned that my family has a caching account (soflfamily) and i have a solo account (had matter).

"Of course one could always delete 100 or so of their finds on puzzle caches, and then go out and refind them in one day, or at least write the same day in all of the logbooks. And there is always the option opening up a sockpuppet account and hiding a powertrail of 100 simple puzzle caches nearby."

- see, thats thinking outside the box

"This guy has no idea what it would take to complete his challenge in a very real kind of way."

- we spent 6 months solving puzzles 300 miles away. with 400 puzzles/challenges in hand we spent 19 hours caching, 2 hours at an event, and was awake for over 40 hours. Think I have a pretty good idea. I also knew when i published this cache few would be able to complete it. In fact, i tried doing it a second time and failed.

"Sorry, I don't even bother reading things in all CAPS. If the writer can't take the time to write it properly I don't take the time to read it."

- FUNNY, I AM THE SAME WAY ABOUT BORING PLAIN TEXT CACHE PAGES WITH NO IMAGES OR STYLE. JUST KIDDING, I TRY AND FIND THEM ALL.

Hope that clears it up a bit. All of my challenges in the series have been completed http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=aa5ca96a-c4ff-4b52-8dcc-37a4f20d46c9 - some were not approved because they were deemed too difficult by the reviewer. for the record, our puzzle run was not a powertrail and one cacher on our team was getting pissed driving in circles.

- sorry you don't like challenge caches, luckily there is the ignore button for cachers like you

Me too.

I have about 1000 caches on my Ignore List.

Mostly true puzzles, but a few are challenges I have no interest in attempting.

I also have another fair-sized list of challenges I do like, and am working on qualifying for...actually I have qualified for a lot of them, just need to go out and sign the logs

I know where to find the IGNORE button, and your challenge qualifies. :rolleyes:

So you placed the cache under a sock-puppet account so you could attempt to qualify and log it under your 'regular' account?

That's certainly the way to win friends and influence people. :lol:

Me too.

I also have another fair-sized list of challenges I do like, and am working on qualifying for...actually I have qualified for a lot of them, just need to go out and sign the logs

I know where to find the IGNORE button, and your challenge qualifies. :rolleyes:

So you placed the cache under a sock-puppet account so you could attempt to qualify and log it under your 'regular' account?

not sure you understand the meaning behind a sock puppet.

"An account made on an internet message board, by a person who already has an account, for the purpose of posting more-or-less anonymously"

anonymous

1. Having an unknown or unacknowledged name: an anonymous author.

2. Having an unknown or withheld authorship or agency: an anonymous letter; an anonymous phone call.

3. Having no distinctive character or recognition factor: "a very great, almost anonymous center of people who just want peace" (Alan Paton).

At what point did I try to be anonymous. Even my profile references soflfamily. Heck most of my logs reference it as well.

it is your right to ignore caches that our too difficult for your skill level. think that is the reason behind the ignore button to begin with.

The challenges I put out are to do just that - challenge cachers at different levels. im sure i have a challenge you would be able to complete. But dont think I hide caches under 1 account to log as a find under another. never happen.

Me too.

not sure you understand the meaning behind a sock puppet.

"An account made on an internet message board, by a person who already has an account, for the purpose of posting more-or-less anonymously"

I'm not sure where that definition came from but that only partially describe my understanding of the term. The term has been in use a long time before this forum, and from reading online forums of one kind or another since the early 1980's my understanding is that it's not just an anonymous account created by someone that already holds an account, but how that account is used. Typically, it's not just used to post anonymously, but used to support a position that that the person might have. Kind of like an anonymous "shill".

Edited by NYPaddleCacher