Garmin Dakota 20 a good 1st time GPS?

Runepcc03

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and pretty new to geocaching. I want to get my girlfriend a GPS for Christmas this year. I don't want to get a super cheap unit that she (and I) are not happy with,but I don't want to spend a fortune either. After a little research, I think a Garmin Dakota 20 should be about right. Does anyone have any feedback or other suggestions for me? My girlfriend is very enthruastic about geocaching and we have went out a few times with my smartphone with mixed results. I was considering a Magellin unit but after reading several reviews, I think i might stay away from Magellan. Any feedback from expierenced geocachers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

It seems like an okay unit and in contrast to the new eTrex series there hasn't been a lot of screw ups with the unit software.

You have to like the touchscreen interface to have a smooth experience with it though. It can be handled with gloves of the thinner sort but this is less than optimal IMO. If you plan to use it in the cold a lot this might of course be an issue.

I use it and I think it's a great unit ! It has no negative points IMO, except for the touch screen which might be a hassel sometimes. Its quite easy to fill in a wrong coord when not payinhg attention. The solution is using a pen when entering coords to tap the screen. I would never buy me a unit which has only the joystick button. Looks like a pain in the *** to enter coords like that ...

I *love* my dakota 20 - the only drawback for me is that it can only hold 1000 caches (and I haven't figured out how to put more on an sd card - though I did buy one....)

I know 1000 seems like plenty but my area is super-saturated so it doesn't get me very far distance-wise .... if I go more than 30 miles from my house I need a separate PQ

I *love* my dakota 20 - the only drawback for me is that it can only hold 1000 caches (and I haven't figured out how to put more on an sd card - though I did buy one....)

I know 1000 seems like plenty but my area is super-saturated so it doesn't get me very far distance-wise .... if I go more than 30 miles from my house I need a separate PQ

Actually you can load 2 1000 cache queries for a total of 2000 caches.