Archived W.V. Power Trail?

hankpixie

About a year or so ago (I think) I remember seeing a power trail along West Virginia Hwy 2 North of Wheeling towards Weirton. Anyway I planted the seed in my mind that one day I'd try it and when I went looking for it today I couldn't find it. Can anyone out there tell me if indeed there was such a trail in this vicinity?

Thankieeeee

About a year or so ago (I think) I remember seeing a power trail along West Virginia Hwy 2 North of Wheeling towards Weirton. Anyway I planted the seed in my mind that one day I'd try it and when I went looking for it today I couldn't find it. Can anyone out there tell me if indeed there was such a trail in this vicinity?

Thankieeeee

Yup, found it. I looked at the stats of some guy I've never met personally, but am Twitter and Foursquare "friends" with. :) Looks like there were 56 of them, along a bike trail along the Ohio River, and they only lasted about 8 months. No indication in the archival notes as to why, maybe you can contact the Cache owner through the website? This is the first one in the series.

AHA, thank you for the lead. I guess I just wanted peace of mind that I wasn't going crazy. Wow, what a short lived Power Trail.

Yes, something must have happened. I see semi-frequent forum poster St.Matthew found them, maybe if he see's this thread, he can give his thoughts on the PT. Not that it matters, every single one of them is archived.

I'm a semi-frequent poster? Neat! I live across the river, and I know who the CO is, but I've never asked him why the series wad archived. There are local rumors though of someone else replacing it someday, and it isn't me. As you can see, a few months after it was archived I put a nice Wherigo there.

Edited by St.Matthew

I'm a semi-frequent poster? Neat! I live across the river, and I know who the CO is, but I've never asked him why the series wad archived. There are local rumors though of someone else replacing it someday, and it isn't me. As you can see, a few months after it was archived I put a nice Wherigo there.

Well, you have that memorable avatar and all. I have cached in Weirton and Follansbee. I probably popped into West Virginia while in SW Pa. solely to find and log 5 or so caches in that State. :laughing: Would you recommend that Panhandle trail in SW Pa. to Hank as a replacement? I've heard that isn't too bad, some smalls and regulars mixed in. I'm not a big fan of bike trail PT's that are 100% micro. C'mon people, you're doing all that work, the least you can do is drop a few bucks for a few Lock-n-Lock's. :P

Absolutely I'd recommend the Panhandle Trail PT as a replacement. It's hard to imagine a better PT anywhere, based on

1. High number of unusual and unique containers.

2. Number of non-micro sized containers.

3. Inclusion of a few high terrain caches that may be short but require a difficult climb.

There's a reason so many of the caches on the Panhandle PT have so many favorite points for being a PT.

Absolutely I'd recommend the Panhandle Trail PT as a replacement. It's hard to imagine a better PT anywhere, based on

1. High number of unusual and unique containers.

2. Number of non-micro sized containers.

3. Inclusion of a few high terrain caches that may be short but require a difficult climb.

There's a reason so many of the caches on the Panhandle PT have so many favorite points for being a PT.

Cool!! I'm there (some day). I had only heard it's "pretty good". My PT experience consists of two, one of which was only 16 caches (100% micro), and another of about 100 (but I only did 50) which consisted a variety of containers and hiding methods, and were actually mostly listed as small size. The containers left a lot to be desired though, margarine tubs, metal coffee cans, etc.

In before the move to the awesome, highly active, Mid-Atlantic forum. :ph34r:

Thanks to the both of you for the info. I'll have to make some time to check out the Panhandle PT. Off hand do you know if it would be better to tackle that one in Winter or in warmer months? Meaning, is a bike the only way to do this to get them all in a day or can you do it on foot?

/

I am one of the CO's of the power trail on the Pan Handle trail in McDonald PA (GC376V3). We have really gone out of our way to maintain the trail but with around 100 caches it is difficult. Many of the containers are unique and unfortunately they leak or go missing (lessons learned). We love to hear the great feedback (thanks St. Matthew :) ) and it is really fun to see the nice logs of appreciative cachers. After much debate, we have decided that two years is a good run for the trail. It will be archived next November (2013). We plan to do another trail in SW PA after this one is archived. Happy caching.

Without coincidence, it will be Keystone, who published the Panhandle PT the day of our 11/11/11 event in McDonald, PA, who will most likely be moving this thread. :)

I am fulfilling the prophecy of St.Matthew.

Well, it was kind of my prophecy, but I have to admit, that makes for a much, much better post. :unsure:

Sorry to hear about the Panhandle trail! I guess if I make it, I have about a year to do it.