Android and GPS Handheld Combo?

tdub4

Started GeoCaching early this year and have not done anything since, but getting the "bug" again. I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 and have used a couple of apps to get a feel for how well they work. While out walking today I got out the phone and noticed that the compass/GPS did not update very frequently at all and seemed to be very frustrating compared to earlier in the year (not sure what changed). In doing some research I did come across a site explaining how to root the phone to disable (or enable) static gps so that it updates instantly. Not really wanting to root the phone, so now thinking of an inexpensive handheld unit to assist with the coordinates/compass and use the phone for the live data.

Does this seem reasonable?

Does anyone have experience doing it this way that can provide pros/cons (like carrying 2 devices? although I will always have my phone anyway)

Anyone have a recommendation for a very basic GPS unit that would provide this functionality (coordinates) without paying for a bunch of other features?

TIA

I started out last year using the first generation Galaxy S. My phone is rooted and has a highly tweaked GPS config file, but it's still lacking as far as accuracy is concerned.

I caught the bug and went out and purchased a Garmin eTrex 20.

Now I cache primarily with the eTrex and use the smartphone as a support tool for logging finds, checking the cache pages, etc.

The added bonus is that the batteries in the GPS last for several days vs several hours with just the phone.

As far as software, I use CacheSense for Android. I've also used NeonGeo.

Thanks for the reply. One downside to the handheld (although I havent done it so not sure how big of a deal it is), is the requirement of connecting it to the PC and downloading the information. Or are you saying that you use the phone for the live data stuff as well?

Forgive me if I am not using the right terminology, but haven used the handheld for this yet, so not sure of the effort. With the phone (as you know) it was pretty much charge it up and go.

I have just recently added a phone to my trips. It is used mostly to log finds as I move from one to another, but also to have a live connection to check the last log or to see when a TB was dropped into the cache. I use a Delorme PN-60 to make the finds and I have a PQ that runs everyday. That way I know I always have access to reload the PN-60 with the latest caches.

I "workflow" is to find the cache with the PN-60 and mark it found also in it. I then log the find using c:geo on the phone. While it is completing the upload of the log, I simply stow the phone in my pocket and continue on to the next cache.