Username spacing

The.Eagle.Has.Landed

Why won't Groundspeak/Geocaching.com allow me to have spaces in my username, it's so annoying to always have to add dots between the words? When I changed my name from a single word to four words I did it using my iPad because my pc was broken, I thought it was maybe something that wasn't enabled on the iPad however now that my pc is fixed and I tried to remove the dots I find it's been nothing to do with whichever machine I use. Can anyone enlighten me further?

I own a user name with a space - Isonzo Karst, and another with 2 spaces between the two words (the one space version was taken).

I'm thinking this is somehow on your end. How? Sorry, I don't know.

I'm running Windows 7 and Firefox 14.0.1 and have no trouble with this.

You might try doing it from a different machine, with a different OS and browser, see what happens.

I've just tried again.When I hit the space bar it moves but as soon as I begin to type the cursor jumps back to the end of the previous word. I also tried using random words but the same thing happens.

I tested it just now and it happens to me exactly the same way.

I though I had changed it just now... trying again... brb

Edited by Me.Go.Find.Geocaches

I've just tried again.When I hit the space bar it moves but as soon as I begin to type the cursor jumps back to the end of the previous word. I also tried using random words but the same thing happens.

You would likely have to get Groundspeak to manually change your name. And then never change it ever again. :P

I tested it and can't cause a four-word username to change properly.

On every key press, the site checks to see if my name is available. While typing "Me Go Find Geocaches", the site saw that "Me GoF" is available! The page refreshes, space between "Go" and "F" vanishes (or SEEMS to vanish, maybe it's still there but I don't see it?), and I have to type the space again. I was able to force my way through the change by being very persistent (in Google Chrome). Maybe I added too many spaces, but the new username definitely won't log in now. A username of only two words seems to allow a space with no issue.

So I made "Me.Go.Find.Geocaches", got everything set up, then changed it to "Me Go Find Geocaches". Now I can't log in with either name! I've received no confirmation email that I changed my username, so I can't simply copy & paste whatever I changed it to -- that's kind of a problem.

Can't you be just "Eagle" or something? :ph34r:

Edited by kunarion

(Then again, that was back in January.)

How many spaces are between each word? I know only one space per word shows up here, but I mean within the 'PS LOVE THE CAT' username itself, on login. I may have typed more than one space somewhere when changing to "Me Go Find Geocaches", and now can't log in (due to not typing all the spaces?).

I have no problem with spaces in my user name...

Try changing to something completely different, then change again to your name with spaces...

It may be the fact the name is already taken? (By you!)

What about the weird space-jumping text that happens (kind of a Java thing) when you try to change it (per the OP)? I saw that happening in Chrome when I tried it. I messed it up so badly, I can't even log into my test name now.

Has anyone tried putting the name in Notepad and then ctrl-C from there and ctrl-V to geocaching.com? I say to try this because the problem seem to happen as you type so I am trying to eliminate the typing.

Yes, that's one way to do it. Some strange things still happen. After trying the cut & paste thing successfully, neither name worked anymore, "Me.Go.Find.Geocaches" nor the new name "Me Go Find Geocaches". I tried it again just now, and a "cut & paste" causes the first 19 characters to paste: "Me Go Find Geocache" (no final "s"). I then manually typed the "s" on the end. There seems to be some residual problem with being able to change it vs. being able to then log in with it.

And now it gets weird. I had the username "Me.Go.Find.Geocaches" previously (I posted under that name in a reply above, and it's still there). Yet just now the system says "that name is available", so I changed to it, then changed to "Me Go Find Geocaches", using cut & paste plus the final manually typed "s". That creates the 20-character, four word member name. I'm thinking the previous name is "available" to me only, so I can change it back if desired (just a guess).

And I'd love to see someone sign their four word, twenty character name on a Nano log. :anicute:

[EDIT: I still can't log in with either member name, to either the Forums or the main Geocaching site. Changing to the four-word 20 character name (and then logging out/in) causes that profile to die, since it ends up in limbo. But I can change it, use the name, then change it back just fine, if I don't log out in the meantime.]

Edited by kunarion