Easier way to Find Caches on a Road Trip

led522

My sister and I are planning a day trip. We are both wanting to find caches along the way. My Garmin GPS does not have the ability to download coordinates from the computer. I'm not sure what to do other than write them all down and enter them from there.

What I have been doing is entering them in my GPS (car/driving type) and once there entering the coordinates into the garmin. Not all that interested in doing that either.

I hope there is something to do other than what I have been doing.

Please, please, please help me. :blink:

The ways I find caches on a road trip are pretty easy, but I don't think they'll work for you. One option is to run a Pocket Query in advance and then download it to my device; however, Pocket Queries require premium membership. Another is to use a smartphone app to download cache data on the fly. I use Neongeo (an Android app that uses Groundspeak's API), but Groundspeak's Geocaching app or one of the other partner apps that use Groundspeak's API will work. The list of API partners is here:

http://www.geocaching.com/live/partners/

If you want the coordinates for all the caches along a route, premium membership would help you a lot. A pocket query finds them all for you.

Which Garmin unit do you have?

It's not getting the co-ord or choosing the cachers. The User cannot download directly to his GPSr.

Some auto units like you have in your car are capable navigating with co-ords. I've heard you just plug it into your computer and use the GSAK program-just Google GSAK

If you want the coordinates for all the caches along a route, premium membership would help you a lot. A pocket query finds them all for you.

Which Garmin unit do you have?

It's not getting the co-ord or choosing the cachers. The User cannot download directly to his GPSr.

Some auto units like you have in your car are capable navigating with co-ords. I've heard you just plug it into your computer and use the GSAK program-just Google GSAK

That won't help either, unless the OP has a database of the caches in the area he plans on visiting.

Over all, the smartphone option is probably the best one to consider on short notice.

If you have several weeks to plan ahead there are other possibilities involving PQ downloads and such.